Network frock ups

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by fR33z3, Jun 11, 2012.

?

Have you made an epic IT frockup?

1. Yes I'm loud n proud of my frockups!

36 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No way. I configure like a boss!

17 vote(s)
    21.0%
  3. I ninja my coworkers so they make the frockup

15 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Moar wasabi!

13 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Because the 3x switches were NOT part of the core network, they were the internal network. Better gear out there for core networking that is smart enough to work out issues for itself, especially for such simple and obvious loops.
    It was no different than the 2 loops found were cables were routed from one wall port to another.......

Well, I could have said more along the lines of: "Cos I could"

The real reason, it proved my point that the NOC trio were ID10T's and not worth the big money they were getting.

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

From my point of view, yes, they are idiots... for hiring someone who willfully does something like this, with full knowledge of the effects it will have.

3. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

You are a dick.

4. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Not a huge frock up, however many moons ago, when I first started in IT I took down the WAN link of an entire site for a short amount of time.

The site I was at, was being fed from another site via fibre. And when I created a loopback on the core switch (accidentally), the other end of the fibre link detected the traffic and decided it was game over. It was more the fault of a nest of cables than anything. As I grabbed the wrong cable after checking it twice I still got the wrong one.

Needless to say, I made a habit of making sure any gear I work on is clearly labeled and as tidy as a Brazilian.

5. miicah

miicah Member

Was asked to patch in some new ports that just got installed in the music block and decided I would clean up the rest of the cables along the way. Turns out I had pulled out the WAN link and couldn't remember which port it belonged to on the switch.

No internet for the school for a day, whoops

6. gwills

gwills Member

Guilty of the Ghost Multicast one as well. And the odd bumping of power cables in the server room. Luckily equipment these days is more redundant ;)

7. FiShy

FiShy Member

Agreed, poor noc people.

8. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Haha I have done similar things, however luckily I only live abut 15 minutes drive away. Annoying, but not a critical or costly mistake :lol:

9. OP
    OP
    fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

got ninja'd yesterday moving an L2 trunk between switches to different ports. Configured the new ports. Figured spanning tree would block the new link until I pulled the old link.

Wrong answer!

The pings stopped, the mac-flap messages started coming in. Lucky the change specified a 'short outage'. Didn't have time to figure out how someone ninja'd the spanning tree. Hoping to lab it tonite - I don't like being ninja'd and not knowing how to return the favour.

Just remembered another rookie mistake I've made a number of times. Doing a remote configuration...reload in 10....configuration complete. Logout. 15 minutes later...oh whats that alert?

10. OP
    OP
    fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

oh and yes, I am trying to clean up my more colorful language. Don't worry in the heat of the moment, I've got plenty on tap!

11. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

the worst i had done was lock myself out of a router. the other was configure a vlan for the wrong customer. it was not just the wrong switch. it was completely the wrong customer.

however i have been lucky i had not done worst. my friend who i use to work with brought down a whole clients network in the middle of the day. forgot what he actually did to break it as i was not with the company when he did this.

12. mooboyj

mooboyj Member

I used to work at a reasonably large ISP and broke BIND for the eastern states and The Northern Territory. Not my finest hour:lol:

13. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Man you guys have had some epic frocks :/ worst i've done forget to plug in a switch somewhere when setting something up, nothing hectic to report here...

14. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

amateur....

use to remember the security guards was telling me this story. some guy was in the datacentre. there were these big arse buttons clearly marked do not press. this was the power shutdown to part of the datacentre. yes the arse hat pressed it. for whatever reason i do not know. and you can guess the mayhem that results after this got pressed.

also the team leader for the server team added a device in the network which brought down our floors network connection. must have had the wrong default gateway or incorrect ip address which may have already be in use on the box he plugged in. since then he was banned from ever setting foot in the comms room for this fuck up.

15. lithos

lithos Member

Dude, didn't whoever set up that centre ever read the Evil Overlord List? You have the button marked "DO NO PRESS" setup to trigger a spray of bullets aimed directly at the button.

16. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

DILLIGAF ?
    Better than being a pussy....

Got my point across.

Yeah, very poor NOC. Please justify their 70K+ salaries each when they could not see the one and only single red crossover cable going from the top switch to the bottom switch, not even put into the cable management....
    Very poor NOC.

17. kenks

kenks Member

Sounds like the NOC didn't actually go checkout the switches and physical connections :)

I have had a few moments, one of them was deploying to the wrong collection in SCCM, another was running SQL Changes across the wrong type of system :S

My old boss deleted the entire All Systems Collection in SCCM to, which was a hoot.

18. FiShy

FiShy Member

Most noc's are not even located onsite of most of the core kit for redundancy purposes, so how do they know?

You sabotaged a network due to your own pettiness.

19. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Are you current employers aware of what a petty little man you are?

Accidents happen, as this thread shows. But to willfully disrupt network services out of spite because the people telling you what to do get paid more than you will quickly lead you down the road of Unemployableness.

20. gwills

gwills Member

Yeah probably not the smartest way to get your point across, I can see why people here a pissed. I guess for a lot of us that would be to far over the line. And I couldn't knowingly do that to the company I was working for.

I wouldn't have thought that 70K was a lot of money anyway ?