Network frock ups

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by fR33z3, Jun 11, 2012.

?

Have you made an epic IT frockup?

1. Yes I'm loud n proud of my frockups!

36 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No way. I configure like a boss!

17 vote(s)
    21.0%
  3. I ninja my coworkers so they make the frockup

15 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Moar wasabi!

13 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. Myst

Myst Member

No firewall to prevent the use of Torrents? Asking for trouble! :D

2. thetron

thetron Member

The previous employer was a business operating the wifi networks for various companies

Story goes
    Someone design a wireless network in the incorrect configuration layout for a new client in my region.
    I pointed this out to the manager and other techs, Everyone ignores me because. I am the rookie or newbie whom doesn't know anything.

The whole project was a rush job. because someone in the client office wanted everything done quickly. Only to suddenly change their mind 2 days of work starting we find out that 2 months until launch.

One technician was installing the aerials
    Myself would be programming the APs and labelling each
    The next day I would install all the APs

Anyway 1 month and half had gone. Before someone from HQ calls reporting the obvious issues with the network and eventually my manager agrees to fly upto for inspection (He really wanted to checkup on me).

He doesn't agree there an issue.
    Despite the low signal bar on the devices pointing to low signal. He said that normal

However he does see obvious gaps in the network and recommend moving various AP. Hopefully demonstrate to the customer this will fix it

It fix most of it. However there still gaps in the network and dodgy work around to make it seem the issue is gone.

It doesn't disappear

So what I do?
    I tell the client honestly the network is screwed up and broken design planned by my head office.
    But I will be automatically blamed for something that wasn't my design and since being new guy on probation, Making easy escape goat :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  3. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

Being the new guy, you throw head office under the bus to a customer? Bit of a CLM there.

4. thetron

thetron Member

Imagine your the client. You've paid to invest 1-2 million over period of time for a support and maintenance contract

You'd wannabe know what being invested is going work.

For me either
    1. Tell client the network isn't functionable. Get fired :)
    2. Don't tell someone, Lie to the client. Client complains. Get fired :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  5. gwills

gwills Member

*Shakes head*, lol each to their own but I would never , ever in front of a client or customer blame the head office or anyone I work with if I thought something was not designed or working properly.

6. thetron

thetron Member

If you believe in your level quality of service and honest professionalism. You stand up for your beliefs, either facing the consequences or remind someone that these people paid alooot of money for something that not upto an acceptable standard.

Depends on how highly value your own and companies values/beliefs

7. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

Had a co-worker do something very similar a few months ago. Pulled out two disks at the same time and the whole thing died, killing a file server that contained all employees personal drives. Fortunately in our case, the backups were all good...

8. ranova

ranova Member

I very much agree.
    I have been in a similar scenario, I wasn't prepared to lie to the customer and pretend that all is well and the service they subscribed to was perfect for their needs when it's been proven multiple times that it wasn't up to the task or wasn't fexible enough for their needs..

I copped a little bit of flak from our head office for it, but I explained the same thing, not going to lie to save face for the company

9. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

had a student at tafe cause cause a similar thing. he saturated a 10MBps link when he installed a p2p software on the college's computers. found out what his machines ip and got the server guys to check the dhcp server to see where this ip got assigned to which machine. found out and got one of the tafe staff to wield the baseball bat and go to town with this idiot.

10. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

There's a big difference between lying for the company, and being seen to blame it on others or shed your own responsibility. To the customer, you're all part of the same team and should accept responsibility as a team.