Network/router issue, need help

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Blah72, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Blah72

Blah72 Member

So basically on Sunday last there was a small storm, during the storm my internet dropped out, later asfter the storm had passed i went to find out what was up with my internet, i have NBN so i reset my router and looked at the NBN box, the lights were out except for green power light and red optical light, i ended up phoning my ISP for some help as to what the optical light meant, basically they had to send a technician around who found a cable had snapped which is apparently a common issue for all NBN boxes.

The cable was replaced and internet and wifi came back, so it seemed all good , but it wasn't good, since then the wifi continually drops out , after a router restart and a hour or two wait the internet magically comes back, but then it can drop out again at any time and it keeps happening.

Wireless works and devices can connect to the router, but wired ethernet has not worked since sunday when the NBN and router lost internet, i cant get wired devices to get any signal since, the NBN and roter all seem to be ok with the usual lights on with the same colours, but i cannot access the modem at all on any device if i try to go to the routers login page i cant it can't be reached saying i need to be connected to the same network, which i am on wireless.

I've tried changing cables , powering on and off etc removing the power cabe for like 10min but nothing has any effect .

The router i'm using is a netgear nighthawk X6 connected to the NBN box, i've used a pin to press the reset hole on the router butthat did nothing apart from restart it.

Need some help. Maybe i've overlooked some stupidly basic step.....or maybe the router is dying, had it since 2015.

2. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

It sucks when you have coincidences, did you lose power at all?

You really need to define no signal on your router when you plug a cable in.

Does your computer say no cable connected or does it say no internet available? I would work on getting that to work before you work on the wifi, if thats broken then good chance the router might be at least partially on the brink.

3. flain

flain Member

Are you sure you are trying to connect to the right IP address? Assuming you have windows 10, press windows key, search for cmd open the command prompt, type in ipconfig and it should show your default gateway. Try connecting to that IP in your web browser.

The reset hole will set it back to factory defaults but usually you need to hold it in for around 5 seconds while you power on the router.

4. bcann

bcann Member

if wired devices aren't getting a connection, have you considered the fact that maybe your modem got hit by some surge and maybe partially broken? option 2 is DHCP is disabled on wired ports, but i doubt this, as you say you can connect via wireless, unless your wireless devices are just using the same dhcp lease they had up until that lease expires.

5. OP
    OP
    Blah72

Blah72 Member

Nah didn't lose power at any stage, there was only sheet lightning . The computer just says theres an unidentified network with no internet.

6. OP
    OP
    Blah72

Blah72 Member

yeah windows 10 , i already tried the ipconfig thing i cant connect to the gateway it says its unreachable or something.

7. OP
    OP
    Blah72

Blah72 Member

yeah it could be fried im just trying to be %100 sure but i'm pretty sure it is f***ed. didn't want to waste money if it was some thing i could remedy. yeah dhcp is enabled or at least i had it enabled but i cant connect to the router so i can't see what up with it or change any settings.
    The wireless keeps dropping out then i have to reboot the router to fix it , there are 3 wifi options to connect to, 5g1 5g2 and a 2.4g the 5g2 is the most reliable now it's usually connected to the internet, but sometimes it goes offline then 5g1 comes back up with internet then it dies and the 2.4g comes back with internet and this keeps happening, the 2.4 drops out and one of the 5g xonnections comes back with internet, then sometimes all 3 go out and i have to reboot the router and then 5g 2 comes back online with internet but the other 2 are online but no internet connectivity ....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  8. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

what ip address does it actually get? does it get a dhcp lease at all or does it go to 169.254.x.x? But it does sound wacky what your seeing with the wireless. This is where its good to just have a cheap spare laying around even if its old as the hills just so you can test. You may be able to connect your PC up to NBN directly but it could be awkward.

9. bcann

bcann Member

Yup new modem time mate.

10. caspian

caspian Member

the router has had the finger. if the OP wants to test with a cheapie to confirm there are units on eBay for $21 delivered as long as he can use the same power brick. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/132963361729