Networking/ethernet issue

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by dahurldog, Mar 26, 2018.

1. dahurldog

dahurldog Member

Hi guys

So I have spent the day trying to work this out but no luck.

I've got a billon 7800DX and it connects via ethernet cable to a TP-Link SG1008D and a unifi connect AP LR.

The 7800 connects to the ADSL and my computer plugs directly into it.

The wifi for the billion has always been fine but lately the ethernet has been all over the place. Today I can unplug everything from the modem except my computer - everything is fine. If I plug in my one connection after the other - the ethernet stops working after a small period of time (1-10minutes).

During that time, I can connect to the billion wifi and all is normal.

I did a hard reset of them modem today - same issue remains. I've changed the ethernet ports around etc. No change

Any thoughts??

2. OP
    OP
    dahurldog

dahurldog Member

Not sure if it could be my computer?

But if I can use the wifi without any issues and it's purely the ethernet - it's unlikely to be an IP issue right?

3. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

When it stops working does the link physically drop (no light or constant disconnect / reconnect on the PC)?

Can you get an IP and access the internet via wifi when the wired port is being flakey?

Have you tried a different Cat5/6 cable?

If wireless works but the wired connection to your PC doesn't and you've ruled out a specific router or switch port, I'd troubleshoot the cable next and then the NIC on your PC.

4. Pugs

Pugs Member

Swap it to the switch if you can...

Age of computer/ check drivers update if necessary...

5. splbound

splbound Member

IP address conflict? Are all your devices getting IP's from one single DHCP server? Are any of your wired wireless devices set to use a fixed IP that may conflict with one assigned in your DHCP server range.

ir0nhide likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    dahurldog

dahurldog Member

So we had a powerout last night, woke up and everything was sweet then same issue after 15 mins.

I downgraded the billion firmware and moved the plugs around and was sweet again for about an hour.

Just knocked out again.

So can use wifi but every device connected via ethernet stops working (computer, switch, wireless AP).

I don't think anything has a fixed ip - I've never set one

7. Pugs

Pugs Member

sounds like the 7800 is dying....

8. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

How old is the Billion? If its more than a couple of years, I'd bet it will come good with a re-capping.

9. OP
    OP
    dahurldog

dahurldog Member

Recapping?

10. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Replacing the electrolytic capacitors inside the unit. Cheap badly sealed (or badly made) caps age over time and fail. Lots of modem/router devices are not well ventilated which means they run hot and cook the caps to death.
    I've resurrected 1/2 dozen devices with the same symptoms simply by replacing the cooked caps.

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

That's fine if you can DIY, if not, it's MUCH cheaper to go by a new device (unless the replacement cost would be thousands$).

12. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

must be ruddy old modem :) poor quality eleccies usually dry out after min 10 years, but i guess if its located in a furnace, might dry out sooner :D

13. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Yeah, I'd not want to pay someone to do it, but modems are usually sub-$10 of parts and an hour or less of beer time. Much simpler PCBs and many fewer big power filtering caps than motherboards.
    ROFL, at the peak of the capacitor plague we were seeing brand new boards arriving with caps already swollen, split and leaking.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

14. OP
    OP
    dahurldog

dahurldog Member

I have borrowed an Asus modem and it seems be going ok.

Will leave it a day or two before I call it and say the modem is dead and order a new one - but I suspect that will be what I do next.

I live in an area with a long distance to the exchange, but I do have FTTC coming in the next 6 months (we will see). I believe the boardcom chipset are the best for long distances? I got a better sync speed with my billion than the asus - any cheap varities with the boardcom chipset that will be good with NBN too?

15. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Smells like something else might be present on the same IP address or maybe 2 DHCP servers.......

16. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Sounds like the modem has had it.

We had a TP Link AC1750 Archer D7 partially die after 2 years. We started to get random disconnects here and there, shortly after it started happening more frequently, and usually had to power cycle the blaming thing to get the connection back. So technically it still works but only until a certain point in time, by the end it was doing it 2-3 times a day. Couldn't find the receipt as it came with a 3yr warranty as well, still sitting in a box / cupboard. Edit, probably should of googled, seems to be a common problem (linky)

Now using the standard Telstra T-Gateway modem that no one wants, working fine, just no QOS to limit the upload bandwidth and the WiFi isn't as fast.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  17. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

guess I've been lucky, though I've only been doing electronics since 1978