1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Never Watercooled before but...

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Blissid, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Blissid

Blissid Member

hey guys,

I'd be interested in a water cooling system for a very demanding system. I'm sick of my video card overheating, but that is also half the problem. My video card is XFX 8800 GTX xXx 630/1000 and it runs very very hot, looking at 72 degrees +, and it looks like it may be hard to get a block for it.

Okay anyway, onto the nitty gritty! I'm looking for a cooling system for a socket 775 (Intel QX6700, again a very hot piece of hardware).

GPUs: 2x XFX 8800 GTX xXx
    Sound card slots in between my GPU's which presents a small amount of space...
    Sound card: Creative X-FI Fatality Xtremegamer Pro
    RAM: 4gb (4 sticks) of Dominator 8888
    HDDs: 5x 150gb Raptor
    Case: Silverstone TJ-07
    Mobo: ASUS Striker Extreme

So basically ive got some really really hot running hardware and my case temperatures are registering at about 45-50 degrees, mobo at 45ish, cpu at 45ish and GPU's at 70+ so my system is very very hot and often can burn to the touch. So, basically I'm looking for a water cooling solution to my issue so I can have a nice silent stable system, ive never water cooled before so i'm a bit in the deep end here, hence why i'm here!

So you have my specs and my case and how much space there is to deal with, generally price isn't an issue. Looking foward to your replies and hopefully, solutions!

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  2. slamaa

slamaa Member

With Money no being an issue your pretty lucky, if i was in your situation i would go with:

- Black ICE GTS Stealth 360 with 3 Vantec STEALTH 120mm Fans
    - Swiftech MCP655 12V Pump
    - Swiftech Apogee GTX Water Block
    - 2x EK-FC8800 GTX GPU Waterblock (http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_31_42&products_id=143)
    - Tygon® Tubing R3603

and i'd probably just go for a t line with a fill port instead of a res.

Thats a pretty hardcore setup there but would be worth it, where are you located, if your in brisbane take your computer to chilled pc and they'll hook you up with a haardcore watercooling system.

3. OP
    OP
    Blissid

Blissid Member

Adelaide, 32 degrees right now and no end in sight to the hot weather.

4. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

The soundcard in between the GPU's could present a problem. If you intend on watercooling the GPU's you're going to need to pretty much forget about the slot above your second GPU, and possibly even the slot above that. There's a few 8800-series watercooling threads on these forums, either in here or the Video Cards section, and I'm sure one of those will give you a realistic expectation regarding space.

You might wanna check out this thread for ideas regarding installation. It's about Antec's P180 but your case has similar, although larger, dimensions and you may run into some of the issues us P180 owners have. Check out javascripterrors quad-120mm-radiator for an excellent example of what you can achieve in a fairly tight space.

Considering your system is pretty much about as high-end as it gets (except for the recently superceded qx6700 ;) ) you're going to need, at the very least, a 360mm radiator (for 3x120mm cooling fans), a beefy pump, and if I was you I'd fill that lovely case up with as many fans as it'll take. Lucky money is no object, cos it's not gonna be cheap.

edit: slamaa's suggestions looks pretty sweet. Dunno how it compares to the Apogee GTX, but you might wanna consider D-tek's new Fuzion block for the CPU, from what I read not long ago it looks pretty shit-hot :D

5. [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

it sounds like more of a case that has very poor airflow....unless your overclocking your system you shouldn't have temp related issues...also the temps that you quoted is that idle or load?

6. spikes

spikes Member

Though of going phase change for the CPU and watercooling for the GPUs??

Have a read through this thread here

A bloke with simlar system like yours.

His loop components are:

Pump: 2x Laing D5s
    CPU: FuZion CPU waterblock
    GPU: Danger Den 8800GTX
    Res: EK MultiRes 150 (i think)
    Rad: 120.4 and 120.2

I recommend a similar layout and setup:

What I'd suggest is:

CPU: FuZion CPU waterblock
    GPU: 2x EK FC8800GTX
    Res: EK MultiRes 150
    Pump: 2x Laing DDC with Petra's top
    Rad: 120.4 and 120.2

Buy from Petra's tech shop

7. OP
    OP
    Blissid

Blissid Member

Temperatures qouted are at load. The GPU's in this case don't get a hell of alot of airflow.

CPU is OC'd to 3.2 ghz, FSB is 1066mhz(266.7)
    memory is at 1066, because it friggan crashes if I use the stock 1111mhz.
    GPU's are factory OC'd at 630/100

8. OP
    OP
    Blissid

Blissid Member

I've never water cooled before so you will have to explain what a res or a t-line is and also recommend specific ones :( Sorry! I tried googling haha.
    is it possible to cool ram besides the dominator airflow fan I have? only one MCP655? What about water additives or coolant etc. Or any couplings or clamps I could need >.< More complex than I thought.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  9. spikes

spikes Member

A T-line is a cheap and small reservoir

It looks like this
    ..................l T l
    ..................l - l
    ..................l L l
    ..................l i l
    ..................l n l
    ..................l e l
    ..................l... l
    ..................l....l
    ..................l....l
    ------------ l....l---------------------------------
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Tubing - waterflow<<<<<<<
    --------------------------------------------------

T-Lines are usually placed before a pump's inlet to make priming quick and easy.

A fill port is just a little plug at the top of a T-Line that is usually mounted through a drilled hole in the top of you case so that you could fill up the system from outside the case.

10. OP
    OP
    Blissid

Blissid Member

CPU: D-TEK FuZion Universal CPU Waterblock
    Radiator: Hardware Labs Black Ice GT Stealth 360
    GPU's: 2x EK-FC8800 GTX
    Pump: Laing DDC w/ Petra'sTech DDCT-01s Top Combo
    Tubing: 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) Tygon R-3603 Laboratory-Grade Tubing
    Radiator fans: 3x Vantec Stealth
    Res: EK-RES150

How does that sound to you people? i suppose the coolant additive doesnt so much matter, can get any and still do fine. Should I need any extra clips? Space shouldn't be an issue if I move some stuff around in my case as its huge! Not 100% sure if I need to mount the fans myself in the radiator if so, thats easy. What else that's an issue is do I need two pumps? or is that one beefy one enough? Other than that, can you guys see any other problems with that setup?

I'm also considering cooling my NB/SB on this 680i motherboard, but it looks like it may be tough finding the right blocks.
    Found this image though which could help you guys identify just what each of those spots are:
    http://www.mips-computer.de/images/Striker_full_mounted_highres.jpg

11. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Hose clamps are recommended for all fittings. You definitely need *something* to hold the tubes in place, even though most of them will fit pretty snugly. When you have thousands of dollars worth of hardware, it's not worth taking any chances is it?!

That setup looks good though. Dual pumps might be worth a look, it depends if you want to push more voltage and frequency out of your hardware or just keep it all a bit cooler. I run a CPU-SLI watercooled setup with a single MCP655, which I'm pretty sure is the same as a Laing DDC, and I'm happy with my temps with a 35% CPU overclock. A lot depends on how much you want to push your hardware.

12. OP
    OP
    Blissid

Blissid Member

I Have been looking all day for Northbridge, Southbridge, Mosfets cooling just like the link in my previous post, seems to be quite difficult to find all this stuff I want, I wish I wasn't so particular. I'm willing to pay as much as 750 or more for the setup which looks like how much it will cost, all depending on the damn availability of the parts which seems to be an issue right now.

However, its looking very much like :

CPU: D-TEK FuZion Universal CPU Waterblock
    Radiator: 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice GT Stealth 360
    GPU's: 2x EK-FC8800 GTX
    Pump: 2x Laing DDC w/ Petra'sTech DDCT-01s Top Combo
    Tubing: 8 foot of 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) Tygon R-3603 Laboratory-Grade Tubing
    Radiator fans: 6x Vantec Stealth
    Res: 2x EK-RES150
    Mosfet: 2x EK Mosfet Asus 1
    NB/SB Block: 2x EK-NB/SB ASUS 1

Other than that, I still need to find a RAM waterblock with 1/2" barbs that can fit over 4 slots full of Dominator 8888s which are pretty large ram. Alternatively, I could just use the Dominator airflow fan which came with them.
    Which will come to a huge cost, and i've got no idea how and where that would all fit. May have to be external. To give you guys an idea of what im dealing with, here is my case http://www.thetechlounge.com/files/articles/258/images/127.jpg

There are alot of modifications which can be done to make it more spacious, i.e removing the lower drive cages and putting the HDD's in the 5.25 bays.

13. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Yeah, you may be able to fit one 360mm rad inside your case, but two is pushing it I would think. I seriously wouldn't bother with the RAM waterblock, just stack your case up with as many fans as possible and that will be adequate. From an article on Hot Hardware:

With all those blocks, I think two pumps is definitely neccessary, otherwise your flow rate will be pretty low. Looks like a pretty kick-arse setup man. Take your time planning it, read, read, and then read some more. Learn from others examples, and you should end up all smiles.

14. spikes

spikes Member

I'd recommend the CPU and chipsets be on one loop and the two 8800GTXs on the other loop.

Read right through that xtremesystems thread that I posted earlier, and check out his end result on the the two waterloops.

15. OP
    OP
    Blissid

Blissid Member

Was my idea, will read up a bit more before I commit to buy however as space is still going to be an issue. I will give the ram cooling a miss and stick with the dominator air flow fan, I also have quite a few high RPM fans lying around which are quite quiet and should fit nicely in the case when I work out where all this havoc is going to go. Now the only problem is product availability, there is no way I can find these products in Australia it seems.

16. rubba-chikin

rubba-chikin Member

Out of curiosity what chassis have you got all this gear installed in?

I currently build/fix PC's for a living and recently we had a build come through that was essentially the same as yours, important bit was it had 2 x 8800GTX cards in SLI. Was originally specced up inside the Antec 900 which has great airflow (but is butt ugly IMO), however we had none in stock and we had trouble getting Antec parts at that particular time.

The chassis got changed to a Gigabyte Aurora (which is a fantastic case that I use myself, but not so much for high end SLI) as the customer started to get impatient. After building the system and testing it out, the heat pooled in the bottom of the case so much you could almost burn your hand on the case bottom and rear.

At that point I refused to let it go out, because it would no doubt be back after a few weeks with something failing at those kinds of temperatures.

It really does illustrate the insane amount of heat those cards put out, its EXTREMELY important to have good airflow through a rig of that nature if you want the machine to operate for more than a month. I for one would be concerned for the life of the soundcard sandwiched between those heatmongers.

17. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

Have u tried running just 2 ticks @ 1111mhz, coz am pretty sure u cant run 4 sticks for some reason @ that speed just doesnt like it (am sure i read it some were).
    Allot of ur heat might be coming from ur striker board. i had 3 striker boards die on me, there produce allot of heat, so i swapped to the evga 680i allot better i reckon.

Have u thought of using 2*240rads in ur set up like i have!!!

HAve a look might give u some ideas.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r266/n3wbi379/pc.jpg

pic is with my old striker board.

18. OP
    OP
    Blissid

Blissid Member

Silverstone Temjin 07

19. OP
    OP
    Blissid

Blissid Member

I've ordered 80 percent of the items, but i'm unsure on the additives I need and how much I would need to add and where the hell I get distilled water.
    Other than that, I'm unsure of how these fittings work. Ive got 8 foot of 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) but i'm not sure if it fits with 1/4 ? Also unsure of how many hose clamps ill need.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  20. Guszast3r

Guszast3r Member

get a petrol funnel (new one) and hook it up right next to air con with pipe and channel pipe to where u want.