NeverWet - Stops Rust and resists Water

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Mr_LeE, Jun 22, 2013.

1. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

2. OP
    OP
    Mr_LeE

Mr_LeE Member

After the gizmodo review. I prob wont get it.

3. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

4. Sharkx

Sharkx Member

Has any bought this stuff locally yet? I dont need it long term.

Cheers

5. Siggi

Siggi Member

Its in this weeks Autobarn catalogue. $30 until june 29

6. b-man

b-man Member

Can't find it in there...
    apparently it will be in most bunnings stores in a few weeks

7. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I'm pretty interested in this. Anyone know where I can get this, locally or online?

8. b-man

b-man Member

bunnings stock it I rang my local store up.
    took a few people before they found it as no one knew what it was.

9. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Top stuff :thumbup: Will try my local. This should give me the competitive edge in Tough Mudder which is coming up :leet:

10. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ

In their own promo video, at 50 seconds in (the water on glass demo). YOu can see the white powdery colour it really looks like. You can also see in the water traces of white gunk that they speak of in the gizmodo review :lol:

11. b-man

b-man Member

I have bought and used it.
    It's basically a novelty item.
    Didn't hold up for my application
    it has a rough finish and cloudy white appearance.
    but on light colored items it can be fairly unnoticeable

12. Pest64

Pest64 Member

Nanoman Universal

Check out Nanoman Universal. It lasts and has been used on PCB's. Amazing video of 240v product working under water. http://www.nanoman.com.au/universalpro.html
    can be purchased online from them in Australia.

13. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

I watched two of the amazing "things working under water" videos.
    I have serious doubts that spraying them with the product had anything to do with them working under water. Tap water is a poor conductor of electricity, that's NOT to say that electricity and water is not a dangerous combination but that's because it only takes a small current to kill a human. That amount of current is trivial compared to what it takes to stop a motor or light bulb from working.

14. Pest64

Pest64 Member

Nanoman Spray

Doubt a light globe or electric knife would work under water without Nanoman spray or some sort of insulation . In any event I would have though even a slight voltage leakage would have tripped a circuit breaker. Submerging an "open" 240volt electric knife in water looks like a very extreme test.

15. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

A friend's swimming pool was lit by a 240V light that was completely flooded for years.

Assuming you meant current leakage then no, domestic power circuits are protected by 16 or 20 amp circuit breakers.

Perhaps you're thinking of the Residual Current Detector that most domestic power circuits have, tripping the breaker. They will not trip either because what ever current does flow through the water flows between the active and neutral, there's no residual current to cause the RCD to trip.

Not at all, assuming the electric knife used a universal motor if Nanoman was a really good spray on insulator it would have stopped the motor from running as soon as it was sprayed on the commutator. Obviously it didn't as the motor ran. That means the brushes cleaned the Nanoman off the commutator leaving exposed electrical contacts and the thing still worked in the water. That rather proves all of my points above.

This product might or might not be great but so far the demonstrations of it leave me unimpressed. I'd much rather see what happens to a piece of polished mild steel sprayed with it and left for a month in ocean spray.

16. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

what he said

getting in the bath with the electric knife would have been a much more convincing display of it's nanopowers

17. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

That depends on many factors. There's a good, detailed read here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2763825/

Currents as low as 10mA and voltages as low as 30V AC can be fatal in water although you're going to drown rather than be electrocuted. Even so wet skin removes the protection provided by the outer layer of dead skin cells.

But when you're in the water your chances depend on what apart from H20 is in the water.

Quite the opposite of what one might think, tap water is more risky if you're immersed in it because it has a higher resistance than the body so the current will flow through the body.

Except with the appliance in the water the metal parts connected to the active and neutral are in close proximity so the current will flow between them rather than create a potential difference through the remainder of the water in the bath. On the other hand if you were lying in the bath with your feet at the drain end (earthed) and an active wire only is in the water near your head you're very likely to be electrocuted.