1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

New 3700x build crashing w/optimized defaults in OCCT CPU test

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by randomman, Jul 9, 2021.

1. randomman

randomman Member

EDIT: See latest post: https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/18958407/

3700x - stock
    Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI - PBO disabled, XMP profile to match RAM, Virtualization on, fTPM on, ultra fast boot on
    32GB (2x16) G.Skill FlareX 3200 16 - not on MB compatibility list, forgot to check... said "made for Ryzen"
    1TB 980 Pro - OS, VMs
    4TB HDD - VM storage, from old PC where it worked flawlessly
    4GB RX580 - from old PC where it worked flawlessly

BSOD mostly while idle, come back and PC has restarted. Varies between:

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    and one other I forget

All seem to be either driver or memory related. Nirsoft's BlueScreenView only reports ntoskrnl.exe, no drivers. I've ran a quick Windows memory test with no errors - would memtests even show errors if it's just a compatibility issue? No temperature issues. I've reimaged. First time was just AMD chipset drivers + AMD graphics drivers. Second time was just Gigabyte chipset drivers + AMD graphics drivers. Win10 21H1 both times. No drivers missing in Device Manager.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  2. JoolzD

JoolzD Member

A windows update a couple of days ago to fix an exploit in the printer spooler service has been causing BSODs.
    Try removing KB5004945 and see if it fixes it.

3. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

You got a source for that? I'm actually an workstation admin and have been researching that patch before deploying it tomorrow night for all our workstations and only found reports of Zebra and some Lexmark printers not working. Nothing about BSODs.

Regardless that's unlikely to be the issue here as this has been happening for over a month.

4. JoolzD

JoolzD Member

It's not widespread but there's a few computers having issues with it. Removing the update fixes the BSODs.
    It may be linked to certain antivirus as the couple of computers I've seen with it have been running ESET, although I removed ESET on one and it was still happening.

If yours has been happening for a month then it's it's probably not related.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

JoolzD likes this.
  6. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

Your board on GSkills QLV for Flare X 3200 C16

7. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

Windows memory diagnostics found no errors. CPU-Z shows core voltage going between 1.128v (edit: 0.984v @ ~3400MHz :Paranoid:) and 1.45v but doesn't sync up exactly with when the core speed/multi changes. Could that be my issue still, boosting briefly without sufficient voltage?

CPU-Z says F4-3200C16-16GFX, which doesn't make sense as the 16GFX suffix normally means its a 2x8GB = 16GB set, there's also nothing on G-Skill's website that matches that.

Vendor website says F4-3200C16D-32GFX which G-Skill's QVL does show Ryzen 3000 with Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  8. Heatpipe

Heatpipe Member

Just wondering if a poor performing PSU would cause this?

9. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

Heavy gaming sessions (ie. power load) don't seem to trigger the BSODs. Brand new EVGA 650W PSU. It'd probably be the last thing I'd suspect.

I'm still very suspicious about the voltage. I'm tempted to disable all kinds of boost and set it static at 3.6GHz @ something like 1.2v, see if that's what was causing it.

EDIT: Ryzen 3600 bsod problem - Page 2 - AMD Community

This seems the same. So I disable SMT, or downgrade BIOS, or ask Gigabyte for beta BIOS, or RMA CPU? :tired:

EDIT2: (6) MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK + Random Freezes + BSODs At Idle : MSI_Gaming (reddit.com)

Sounds like faulty CPU?! It was BNIB and I believe manufactured recently. :|

EDIT3: OCCT running for 45 min no issue. Voltage staying above 1.260v. So I'm going back to suspecting the voltage dropping too low for too high a frequency at idle.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    pwlm1975 likes this.
  10. luke o

luke o Member

11. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

Jesus reading that thread made me feel like I'm the lucky one only getting BSOD mostly only once a week.

I confirmed the speed, timings and voltage match G.Skill's specifications. I just tried setting some of the power saving modes to enabled as someone on Reddit said it helped with their stability at idle.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    luke o and pwlm1975 like this.
  12. luke o

luke o Member

Yep I feels you I was disappointed when I first upgraded but eventual BIOS updates and driver updates fixed all of my issues.

The voltage tweaks were key to getting things mostly stable for me, I actually had to slightly undervolt the CPU and slightly overvolt the RAM as well as obviously tweak all the times. This got me from daily reboots to once a week or fortnight (that was a ten months ago).

Since the last round of BIOS updates I finally feel like I'm no longer using a BETA product, everything is stable and fast like it should have been ~10 months ago.

randomman likes this.
  13. Elmf

Elmf Member

randomman try the idle voltage setting in BIOS. Change to "typical idle" or similiar. Fixed some freezing with an ASROCK X570 I had that ended up faulty.

randomman likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

Idle current level? Reddit post said it to "Typical current level", there was auto and "Low current level" or something like that. Will see how it goes.

Elmf likes this.
  15. Elmf

Elmf Member

Yeah that one. Mine was crashing on idle (just freezing) and that fixed it.

M1ck1 likes this.
  16. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

MY Asus X470 Strix was doing that set it all back to stock still happened I got latest bios and set +0.02 offset on Cpu voltage and it seems to have gone.

Elmf likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

Okay so nothing since setting the Idle Current level to Typical current level from Auto. I'm not confident saying it's solved just quite yet but I have upgraded to Windows 11 and tweaked some more boost and fan settings and still nothing.

EDIT: Is it my fault for buying an "AORUS" class board? Are these intended to have more aggressive optimized defaults? Just seems like they're more concerned with performance to the detriment of stability, not to mention noise and heat and power consumption.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Elmf likes this.
  18. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

I doubt its the Gigabyte optimised defaults as they are tested to be safe, they don't even set XMP, they just give you the choice to set aggressive settings. Do you have access beg or borrow another Cpu if it keeps occuring, at least you can then see if its your cpu. memtest should pick up if it is memory related

19. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

Jinxed myself. Just got a BSOD while idle.

Nah friends are on Intel. I did run the Windows Memory Diagnostics but I guess for the infrequent crashes I'm getting I probably need a 6+ hour memtest.

20. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

set your dram volts to 1.4V

i know with some boards and cpu combinations, running 2x16gb sticks does put a little more strain, and sometimes PC not stable at XMP/DOCP volts of 1.35V