1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

New 3700x build crashing w/optimized defaults in OCCT CPU test

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by randomman, Jul 9, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

Okay so still crashing. DRAM voltage was 1.38v. Still crashed. UEFI boot screen spinny wheel even got corrupted and it froze on that. BIOS reset itself, 2nd time that's happened. Kept mostly default except enabled SVM and quiet mode, no XMP profile and it crashed today except this time with usbxhci.sys driver_irql_not_less_or_equal. So now I'm thinking the motherboard is faulty, or drivers not quite stable on Windows 11 yet? Guess I'll wait until it's released and hopefully by then if this is a hardware fault it's become more consistent so troubleshooting will be easier.

2. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

Okay so I updated the title as it's now crashes frequently enough that it crashes in the first few minutes on OCCT CPU test with BIOS optimized defaults. I didn't even load an XMP profile for the RAM, should I?

EDIT: changed BSOD to crashes

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  3. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

Maybe been done already, but have you done the whole reset BIOS and remove battery etc? Bridge out the little jumper that is near impossible to find or reach.

4. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

Just wondering have you tried running 1 stick at a time

5. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

Okay so I noticed it said XMP profile was applied but it wasn't running at those speeds. I changed XMP High Frequency Support to Level 1 which is supposedly for 3200 and low and behold 3200MHz. It's now no longer immediately crashing in OCCT, time will tell if it's fixed the BSODs though too...

Feels like you gotta be a rocket scientist for a custom built PC these days. Or is it just with Gigabyte boards?

6. luke o

luke o Member

Not just Gigabyte mate... MSI drove me nuts on previous gen with BIOS qwerks and this time around I went with ASUS B450. When you reset the BIOS after a failed overclock etc. and then re-apply the XMP profile if said profile is 3200mhz or faster the board will fail to boot. I have to reset the BIOS, set the XMP profile, manually override the speed to something UNDER 3200mhz, save and reboot and then go into BIOS again and set it to 3200+ (3600mhz ram currently) and then it works flawlessly... we are BETA testers mate :) Board manufacturers just don't care anymore.

M1ck1 likes this.
  7. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

I think you are beta testing win 11 for microsoft, hopefully you've fixed the BSOD problem, if you have problems with 3200, you can RMA the cpu as AMD guarantees 3200, any higher is an overclock, good luck

8. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

It does seem this way with all the posts I had to filter through about not booting and crashing. It seems so strange because I thought the whole point of XMP was that board manufacturers didn't have to configure anything for RAM, the XMP profile would do it all.

9. 151528

151528 Member

I could be spreading fud, but none of my msi boards have given me trouble with xmp profiles, or really anything, yet my gigabyte boards seem to do all sorts of weird things

I could pretty much replace everything in one of the msi boards at once and within 5-10 seconds it'd finish thinking and post, whereas gigabytes would flip a nut at me for swapping with a similar gpu, or removing a ram stick, or even just changing cpu cooler, and fail to post until i reset cmos (which is under gpu, which is on a pcie3 riser in a pcie4 board, and doesn't fit in the board when it's in the case, so I have to remove board from the case to set the slot back to pcie3... so yea... big pita)

In saying that I got my main gaming rig stable on a gigabyte board so that's my main squeeze atm touch wood

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  10. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Poasting as relevant to interests, my G.Skill 4x8GB 3600 1.35V set has been cranky and doesn't want to run over 3200 with my ASrock X570/3900X combo at defaults/XMP.
    Haven't been bothered fuckulating around with it because it's fine for my needs as it stands, but it would be nice to have some info about how to get it stable at rated speeds without simply dumping more millivolts in.
    (If such a solution exists)

11. 151528

151528 Member

micsway123 Was trying to get a 24/7 stable overclock on some ram recently, and the help in those threads is actually a pretty good resource, you might find something in there

3600cl14 4x8 royal overclocking | OCAU Forums (overclockers.com.au)

Royal 3600cl14 4x8 Overclock Advice | OCAU Forums (overclockers.com.au)

BlueRaven likes this.
  12. BlueRaven

good man, cheers for that :thumbup:
    Not trying to bang any ludicrous-mode numbers out of this, just want to run it at what it's apparently rated for.

Edit: apologies to OP for the minor hijack

151528 likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

How dare you think that I would care

151528 and BlueRaven like this.
  14. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

BlueRaven and 151528 like this.
  15. BlueRaven

M1ck1 thanks for that.
    The 2x16GB kit is on the QVL for my board, the 4x8 kit is not so you're spot on. ;)
    I'll just give it MOAR POWAH!

M1ck1 likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

Ok so 90% sure it's the motherboard now. Last night it crapped out when I was streaming from the VM. It then wouldn't turn back on. So I left it unplugged from power all night long and this morning the power LED was still on, and it wouldn't power on. I took everything (except the motherboard and CPU) out and it would power on, but then not power off, LED would flicker if I held it down for a hard power off. LED would stay on even if I pulled the power. Then I unplugged the 24 pin and as soon as I replugged it the LED turned off. Gradually put it back together and it powers on, was even able to update the BIOS (Q-flash). Still boots. Put it all back together again... BIOS screen shows up and then nothing, monitor says nothing to be displayed. Took the side panel off, took the SSD out (in case it was corrupt OS) and now it won't power on anymore.

Part isn't even 2 months old and I told the store it had been unstable since I got it. Their response? Pay $50 for our diagnostic service, if it's faulty we'll RMA it for you which typically takes 6-8 weeks, but we won't be responsible if Gigabyte says it's not faulty. Won't even credit the diagnostic fee. I'm 2 weeks out of their store policy exchange/replace period. I spent over $1000 with them on one day. Real great way to make me want to come back.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  17. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

that sucks, it is under warranty, best contact Gigabyte, or your consumer protection though I don.t know how it works in Canada

18. OP
    OP
    randomman

randomman Member

Consumer protection in North America?
    j-jonah-jameson-laugh-meme-generator-50839223.png
    Over here it's your fault for being a consumer. They do at least offer to do the RMA for me until the 1 year mark, I guess that saves me on shipping and having to deal with Gigabyte.

19. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

Sorry, we must be lucky, if you bring up consumer protection to a retailer they become very helpful, I've dealt with other companies for RMA, but not Gigabyte they are generally pretty helpful, weren't they going to charge you $50.

20. Sledge

Sledge Member

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021