New 4k Smart TV Recommendation

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by glenpinn, Jun 4, 2019.

1. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Hi everyone, got back from 8 weeks overseas last week, but we sold our house and furniture before we left, and 2 days ago we bought a brand new 3br townhouse that needs a complete package of new furniture, one of which will be a new 4k Smart TV and a decent set of speakers to hook up to it.

It appears our new TV will be mounted on a wall at the appropriate height, and we will place our new lounge seating about 4 metres away, with the dining behind that.

Our current TV is a 55" Samsung (which we did keep) so i think we only need around 65" or so.

I like LG as a brand, but i have no real experience with picking the right TV, all i know is that we will be wanting to watch lots of youtube travel videos (and others) and i think our Daughter will be wanting Netflix.

Any thoughts on the TV, and maybe some suggestions for some kind of speakers and how they should be setup with the new TV.

We don't have a set budget, but we also don't want to spend a fortune, just something with a nice picture and can output decent sound.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Own LG 70 4K.

LG Smart TV which runs WebOS and you won't regret it.

3. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Well how about a recommendation, like which model etc ?

4. Zee

Zee Member

Personally, I like the Sony's, best remote and Android OS. (X7500 and above).

Samsung and LG are good, too, but I can't stand LG due to the retarded remotes. If you like waving your remote around like you're playing a Wii, it's great, but otherwise... I always end up having to source old model IR remotes for clients that insist on LG. Great TV otherwise, Their WebOS is nice.

Z...

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Still prefer a few model recommendation, as i already know LG, Sasmsung and Sony are 3 of the top brands.

Somewhere up to $2,000 or maybe a bit more for a 65" model.

6. h0mer_

h0mer_ Member

Check out the OLED thread for some good discussion on current quality TVs:

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/oleds-oleds-oleds.1253318/

Zoom to a page that is around April or May this year & go from there. Included in that range of posts are some links to TV review sites that appear to be the goods as well.

Looks like with a bit of hunting you might get a top-notch TV at 65" for that $2000 or maybe a bit more point.

At least you'll have a better idea of what to look for & why, rather than just skimming the latest Harvey or JB catalogue & buying on size & price alone.

Cheers.

7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Best LED LCD's are Sony and Samsung, mid-tier to top models.

LG and Pana are not good for LED LCD as using IPS.

LG, Pana, Sony for OLED.

65"+ unless sitting quite close.

"Smart TV"... use an external device IMO and forget about anything onboard, focus on picture quality not apps.

Are you going stereo or surround for audio?

JSmith

8. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

We just got a Hisense 65p8, couldn't see anything coming remotely close to it in that price bracket (paid under 1500)

Super impressed with it, HDR 'plus' and all that good stuff, very reasonably priced for the features. Can't comment on the smart features, I use an Nvidia Shield for that

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  9. Zee

Zee Member

X7500 or X8500 series for Sony, UM7600 series for LG, UAxxRU7100 for Samsung. all offer a 65" at about $1500 or less.

BTW - if bluetooth headphones are a thing for you, keep in mind that the Sony will need a small file uploaded to it. Takes about 5 minutes and then works fine, just one of those retarded things TV manufacturers do sometimes to get you to buy a model up, because, allegedly the chipset is limited (by Sony's firmware...).

Z...

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

RT Edwards are closing shop be quick they are selling everything cheap. As for model google LG and check current model number and last gen model number for 4K WebOS models NFI on models numbers.

11. Zee

Zee Member

Agreed with this, though some just like to have "one device". Though an Apple TV can be hidden nicely behind a TV, and CEC/BT means you need not worry about control.

Z...

12. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Thanks for the suggestions, as far as audio goes, not really sure about stereo or surround.
    We stayed at my Wifes best friends place in Brisbane last week and they have a 75" tv on the wall, with surround speakers in each corner of the loungeroom, but the lounge chairs were about 5m from the TV against the back wall, and all i heard was the sound coming from the speaker on the corner to my left, as i was fairly close to it.
    I would have thought surround requires the seats to be positioned in the room so the 4 speakers, usually mounted in each corner, are facing the seating area to be of any benefit.
    I see most people just using a sound bar sitting in front of the TV, or a set of upright pedestal speakers, one on each side of the TV.

13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

If I was planning on spending $3K on audio, I'd go for good stereo speakers and amp over a surround. If money was no object... I'd probably get numerous sets of the same speakers and use them in a surround config with a nice sub or two. Phantom centre is real... and can be quite effective if not preferable for some over a centre.

JSmith

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This.

OLED is the display technology of choice right now, and new models are coming out every week. There's never a "good time to buy", and whatever you buy today will be out of date tomorrow. So follow that thread, look at what's in stock in your price range now, and buy when you're ready, with the full acceptance that something better will be out in 3 months time.

If I was buying today, it'd be an LG C9 (or B8 on a budget). But that's my opinion this month, different to last month, and likely different to next month too.

If you don't need a sub (or live in an apartment and don't want to piss off your neighbours), I'd buy a decent quality pair of active studio monitors instead of either an amp/speaker combo or a soundbar.

You can get some pretty amazing quality studio monitors for peanuts these days (hundreds, not thousands), and most have optical + SPDIF input that you can take straight out of your TV.

Find somewhere selling Edifier, Mackie or JBL monitors, and ask them for a quick listen using audio you're familiar with loaded up on your phone (a mix of vocals and music).

darknebula likes this.
  15. Zee

Zee Member

As a different piece of advice from the above (and the above are perfectly reasonable and valid, just trying to help you with options to see which may suit you better), I tend to go with Sonos Beams for sound bars. Audio quality is pretty damn good for the money (about $600), it integrates perfectly with CEC, so it just works with the existing TV remote, and you get the benefit of Sonos for streaming, along with Airplay if you are in the iProduct world. Otherwise, it supports more streaming services than any other, and you can add a pair of Sonos Ones at any time to upgrade to surround.

A Sonos Amp will give you the same benefits, but much more grunt, and you can pick your own speakers - it'll cost more, though, at about $1k rrp + speakers.

In the interests of full disclosure, I am a Sonos dealer (though it is hardly the only product I am a dealer for), though I spec gear from the customers point of view, and simple operation is a big one.

OLED is an awesome picture, just be sure you don't fit the group that may suffer from burn in. This is generally people that leave a single channel on all the time, and people that game a lot.

Z...

16. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

17. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

So which one would you suggest from these.
    https://www.sonos.com/en-au/shop/beam.html

Hisense p8 65" seems to be on sale at JB
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/hisense/hisense-p8-65-series-8-4k-uhd-smart-uled-tv/636055/

I thought Hisense was supposed to be a sheap generic POS, because i have seen the picture on some of their TV's and it didn't look too crash hot to me.

Does not ship to Tasmania, that is fucking discrimination, what a load of crap.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/273872895795?ViewItem=&item=273872895795

People should know by now that we Tasmaniacs no longer have 2 heads, but we do still have the scar on our shoulders.

18. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

True, but I find one get's more oomph using floorstanders and no sub... if I was running bookshelves or monitors I'd then have a sub.

I agree, soundbar = no

JSmith

19. Zee

Zee Member

There are some pretty freaking awesome sound bars out there. I'm talking the likes of Artison, James etc.

Sonos beam is excellent value for the money (considering full capabilities).

Z...

20. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I can't comment on their other displays but Hisense use LG OLED panels as LG are the only manufacturers AFAIK. Bugger they don't ship to Tassie!

I think most retailers have them for a similar pre-discount code price at the moment (JB, Bing Lee, Betta, Harvey Norman, etc). Australia were the first/only market Hisense sold their OLED TV's in and they haven't sold well here apparently. From what I read, due to them being seen as not a well known top tier brand and that their initial RRP pricing was close to known brands too. Hence the big discounts now. I don't care, they come with 3 year manufacturer warranty and the display looked great to me in JB. They have also now announced their OLED TV's to Europe, which I think is a good thing in that they're not abandoning the product.