New 4k Smart TV Recommendation

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by glenpinn, Jun 4, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

The only way the footy looked anything half decent was to stand 6 metres or more, but it still had this ghosting and blur to it.
    Just glad i don't watch much sport, except car racing.

2. nico6

nico6 Member

You should stop thinking that what you saw in the shop is what we see at home when it's properly set up.

I once saw HN displaying live cricket though Foxtel 4K on a Sony 65" OLED. Now that's getting serious :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Our new Townhouse has not even got an antenna installed yet, we have to arrange that when we move in, and the idiots who built the townhouse didn't even run antenna cable and sockets to the 3 bedrooms, and we cannot run the cables from the roof cavity down the wall framework to just above the floor because, yet again, the idiot builders put the noggins between the studs on their flat, so there is no gap to drop the cable all the way down.

Regardless how it is set up in the new place, it is still going to look like shit, seen it on other 65" + 4k TV's set up properly in heaps of other homes.

4. nico6

nico6 Member

Way to look forward to the new TV!

5. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

If you're in a high signal area an indoor antenna with adjustable gain or even ol' rabbit ears will likely work... but can be a bit touch and go with positioning etc.

JSmith

6. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

We saw the huge TV on the wall in the new unit next door (it has an elderly guy renting it) and he only has a rabbit ears antenna and the picture looked ok, can't remember what was playing but it was a TV station.
    It was odd because he had a new Foxtell dish on his roof with a pvc conduit strapped to the brick wall from the roof, and going thru the wall into his lounge room.

7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

With DVB2 broadcasting, a bit like HDMI failing... you'll get some degradation making the channel unwatchable, then it simply fails as error rate becomes too high. This has nothing to do with the picture quality, resolution or bitrate of the channel.

So if your neighbour is watching a compressed SD channel it will look crap...

JSmith

8. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

All i can say is that we are being ripped off by the TV broadcasters a lot of the time.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep, Golf/footy look absolutely perfect with a beautiful crystal clear image with my iQ4 and LG 65" oled.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Free to air television is terrible in this country.

I'm fortunate enough that I get to see the quality of a lot of TV shows *before* they're compressed by third parties. I think Blu-Ray is a quality level down compared to the stuff I get to see, and then you compare FTA to that and it's a dog's breakfast.