New 4k Smart TV Recommendation

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by glenpinn, Jun 4, 2019.

1. dillyboy

dillyboy Member

Yep was considering the Xbox One but don't want to buy new remotes/Kinect etc... The kids are young enough to be happy with the 360 so will probably just replace that - EB has the newer ones refurbished for $60 or so so unless something pops up cheaper at a garage sale I'll probably just get one of them

2. peg

peg Member

$14.99 delivered. (converter)

3. dillyboy

dillyboy Member

Thats composite (1 RCA for video) I need component (3 RCAs). I've seen them online but don't trust the quality of eBay... Jaycar has them but a new 360 is cheaper :p

4. peg

peg Member

JSmithDTV and dillyboy like this.
  5. dillyboy

dillyboy Member

JSmithDTV and peg like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Went back to Harvey Norman today where my 65" Samsung UM7100 TV is being held, after paying $1526 in their online store 3 weeks ago.

It is now on sale now for $1295: https://www.harveynorman.com.au/samsung-65-inch-ru7100-4k-uhd-led-lcd-smart-tv.html

They also had an LG UK6340 on sale as well for the same price, so the store manage arranged for me to take the LG one, and he gave me a choice of getting the $230 price difference back, or use it to buy a 5 year product care, i took the latter because i have learnt my lesson before with TV's and fridges especially.

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/lg-65-inch-uk6340-4k-uhd-led-lcd-ai-thinq-smart-tv.html

7. h0mer_

h0mer_ Member

Well this thread is turning out to be quite the interesting & insightful thread that we didn't know we needed :thumb:

It's a shame the real estate industry in mucking you around Glen, but it looks like you're making a decent enough mash of it with the TVs along the way at any rate.

Good to see HN came to the party with your particular circumstances & looked after you. Any idea on when you might get the keys to the new place??

darknebula likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Firstly, i think by posting these updates on my TV situation will give others a bit of an idea just how good some of these stores are at changing orders like i have, given i bought that Samsung TV about 3 to 4 weeks ago, and other stores may not have done what the manager of the Moonah store has done for me yesterday, where i was able to swap the Samsung for the LG tv at the same sale price, and then give me the 4 year product care for (giving the tv 5 years of warranty) the $230 refund i was due.

Secondly, regarding the new Townhouse situation, we bought it from the same sales agent who sold our house just before we went overseas for 7 weeks (he is married to my cousin) and 1 hour after we looked thru the place we signed a contract and it was accepted by the developer the next day, and we was told by our agent that the title had not yet been released by the titles office, but it was due that same week or the following week, so with that in mind, if the title was released the same week, the lawers for us and the developer could have arranged a settlement within 3 weeks, meaning we could have been moving in this coming week, or next week at the latest.

As it turns out now, our agent should not have told us that the title was due that early, because i turned out that nobody actually knows when the title will be released, not even our lawer, and she has no way of finding out because our land and titles office here in Hobart are not permitted to offer such information to anyone, all i know is that there is a clause in our contract that states that the title will be released on, or sometime prior to August 5, then we have a 14 to 30 day settlement period after that, and this is when the lawers start their real job to get the paperwork completed, we pay the balance of the sale price, and we get our keys.

We could get a call from our lawer today saying the title has been released, it may be next week, it may be on Aug 5th, but whatever date it is, we will not be in there for at least 14 to 30 days after that title is released.

We booked an Airbnb room in a house for 37 nights (May 28 to July 4) before we went overseas so we had somewhere to stay when we got back on May 28, and we bought the Townhouse on June 5th, so when the agent told us the title should be released that same week, we assumed (a BIG mistake) that we could have been in the townhouse by the first week in July, when our room booking was due to expire, and that was the reason why we decided to go out buy all our new furniture, including the TV, so we didn't have to do it at the last minute.

As far as the furniture goes, that was a good move by us to go shopping when we did, as most of the furniture we selected will not be here in stores until around early to mid August anyway, but with TV's i realize now you do not ever buy one until you are ready to use it.

h0mer_ likes this.
  9. Zee

Zee Member

You can't really compare TV's like this. Colour, contrast, white balance - it can all be adjusted. You need to calibrate the screens professionally before you start comparing them side by side like that.

You're better off looking for motion artefacts, backlight uniformity (though this is hit and miss, could just be a good example on display), basically, compare the things that are not related to slider settings.

Z...

darknebula likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yes i know, but in their default mode, which is what the display TV's would be set at, and that they were all set up to play AFL, the LG and Panasonic looked better.

11. peg

peg Member

So they didn't offer a refund but they offered an exchange?

Either way, nice going, glad it worked out for you.

12. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I didn't ask if i could just get a refund, as i just wanted to get that TV at the new sale price of $1295, with a refund of the $231 balance, but when i saw the $1296 price on the LG next to the Samsung TV i had bought for $1295, they offered to swap them over ($1 difference in price) and the manager offered to throw in the 4 year product care for the $230 difference, which i snapped up, worked out good in the end.

13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

No way I would have given up a Samsung VA over an LG IPS... also extended warranties are nothing but expensive insurance policy available much cheaper elsewhere. Australian Consumer Law also covers purchases with problems outside of warranty.

JSmith

14. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Appreciate the comments, but how about you offer me something more regarding the extended warranty available much cheaper elsewhere.

Also, everyone seems to have a different opinion about what panels are better than others, which makes it very confusing for us "noobs" to make the right choice, so i just go with my gut feeling, and in this case i decided to go with the LG, in the end it is just a bloody TV.

Finally, i completely understand all about the Consumer Law protection, and i have been down this path 2 times in the past 5 years, and it is not always as easy as some people make it out to be, so i chose to take the 4 year product care because i know i will be covered for 5 years total, and if it does stuff up, i get a very cheap replacement.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  15. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Sorry mate wasn't trying to make you feel bad, all in all wasn't the worst deal... just that LG could have been a little cheaper TBH. They usually charge $400+ for 4 years, which can be had for $40/50 per year elsewhere, like NRMA etc. $230 wasn't too bad. :)

I'd suggest to have that panel well setup as the out of box settings can be quite poor. I'd suggest starting with these settings;

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uk6300/settings

JSmith

16. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Thank you, regarding the 4 year product care on that TV, the actual cost was $279 and the manager just gave it to me for $230 because we didn't have to mess about with me having to pay the additional $49, and to be honest, i have to say that Harvey Norman would be the best retailer i have dealt with for a long time, and they seem to want to go out of their way to help, and not just push for a sale at any cost, like they used to do.

Also, most of the HN stores are now franchised, different owners, so the competition is there now.

17. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Fair enough, glad you had a good experience with them. Just a point though they've been fined heavily in the past for numerous infractions of consumer law, mostly around telling people they need an extended warranty. ;)

Good to hear possibly their culture has changed...

JSmith

18. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Actually, after we sold our house in march we also sold all of our furniture as well, traveled overseas for 7 weeks, and have spent the past 3.5 weeks getting all new furniture sorted, and we got our new mattress at the Hobart HN store, our fridge, tv and new washing machine at the Moonah HN store, and we was offered the product care, but none of the sales people forced it on us, and because i am familiar with the consumer laws, i still think it has a place, especially with high priced electronics.

We bought our new Lounge suite from Nic Scali, a store we had always avoided because of their high prices, and we just happened to be in the HN store in Cambridge (outside of Hobart) and the Nic Scali store was next door, and was also having a June sale, so we went in, and walked out with a $4,000 lounge suite for $2,500, and it was a great experience, their stuff is far superior in quality to most stuff in other big furniture retailers stores, and you do get what you pay for, and the sales people are very well trained and versed in the products they sell, and their stores are 2nd to none.

We also paid $200 extra for our lounge to have a 5 year wear and tear replacement warranty, which covers the fabric from stains or tearing, so if we spill coffee or whatever on one of the seat or back cusions (they are removable) they send out a technician to clean it, if they can't, that cusion is replaced, same goes for the stitching or fabric tearing, the faulty cusion will be replaced.

Very good experience.

Amart is where we got all our other furniture, and our daughter also bought her new bedroom and living room furniture there as well, and they too were very good to deal with.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Quite honestly that's probably the first time I've heard that from a customer of that retailer, but I guess people don't tend to say much if they are happy.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Just telling it like it is from my side from my recent experiences with them over the past 3 to 5 years, and it seems to be getting a lot better, however others may or may not agree, it may just come down to your attitude when dealing with them, as well as the person from the store that you are dealing with, and believe me, i don't take any crap from sales people, if i don't like the way they are helping me, i simply tell them i want to deal with someone else.

Last Sunday morning when i went to the Moonah store to tackle them about the Samsung TV being on sale, and swapping it over for the LG one, the sales guy was not aware of their policy when buying online, so he personally took me over to the store manage (James or Craig) who was working with a customer at the appliances counter, and he sorted it all out for me.

There was a time going back a few years that i used to go into their stores and hang around the laptop displays warning people not to buy anything computer related, especially laptops, because the first thing they don't tell you is that windows has built in Anti Virus software, and they try to flog you a full blown retail box of AntiVirus software, as well as a wireless mouse, a laptop bag, and product care, for an extra $300 or $400 more, and many people were there just to buy a $400 laptop anyway.

I don't bother any more, if people want to have sales staff do this, or they fall for it, that's up to them, but i will admit i have bought a few laptops from them during some of their massive sales (2 for 1 deals etc)

Nic Scali has been our best retail experience by far 2 weeks ago, buying our new lounge suite from them, great staff, beautiful stores, and very well made furniture, no junk inside their stores.

Amart were also fantastic, in the past 2 weeks we have bought 9 items between us and our daughter for our new townhouse, and we have been back 3 times already to change a few items over for something else, and they will hold our stuff until the end of August, just in case we need the extra time before we move in.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019