New ALDI ipod ripoff $299!!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by OCIT, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Pletikosa

Pletikosa Member

Ipod

:thumbdn: Look i have had one for two weeks and had nothing but problems with it. It constantly jams, screws pictures when you transfer them, they wont tell you how to get a replacement battery, so it is really pointless in buying one. I found an IPOD mini for $250 so i purchased that one, i think thats the way to go. I refunded mine no problems

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  2. retz.x

retz.x Member

3. stiassny

stiassny Member

what languages supported?

hey
    i can't wait to get my player, only 9 days to go !!!
    one issue though: what languages does the aldipod support?
    can it read hebrew id-tags and stuff?
    please say yes!

4. nux

nux Member

I would highly doubt it.

5. warrenr

warrenr Member

After giving the player a month of solid use I gave up with all the annoyances. It basically in a word sounded crap. At first I thought it was the headphones so I went out and bought some px200's - still sounded crap - in fact it sounded worse. Damn was I introuble with the wife for spending another $120 on something that sounded worse (turns out the better quality headphones were more sensitive and allowed you to hear the imperfections clearer!)
    The unit even sounded crap for the car stereo via the tape playback...it sounded like a really bad recording (I thought it was the heads on the cassette player)
    I also had to play everything on full volume all the time as the output really wasnt enough

I know its cheap, but hey - why spend 300 on something which you're going to regret? I took it back and bought an IRiver H320 for 499. Fair enough it costs more - but the sound quality is astounding! Even through the car tape adaptor its much much clearer. Sort of like buying a new stereo in fact.
    No regrets here....

6. Stutz Jr

Stutz Jr Member

Funny enough I'm actually happy with mine. I've learned how to make it work
    the way I like and the battery is consistent enough now. My brother has a 30gb ipod and my dad ended up getting an iriver photo/movie player. having played the ipod, the only bonus (to me) is the smoother scroll wheel. the iriver looks nice, but hell! the user interface is an absolute nightmare!
    i made the right choice for me

7. PROPILOT

PROPILOT Member

i returned mine today too with no worries. had a really minor scratch, though they didnt even open the box. ....should have put some rocks in it ;)

i was unsatisfied they didnt release new firmware to solve the following fundamental issues:

1. Not remembering where the position of the selection is when navigating up/down levels of artists / tracks

2. Lack of any ability to ff / rw progressivly - ie.. when holding down the ff button it should speed up the longer u hold it down. particually usefull for audio books and dj sets

3. No playlist support. wouldnt have been difficult would have multiple m3u playlist support... and would have made a huge difference to the usability.

now the search starts for the perfect mp3 player.. if there is one.. ? .. the iriver h320's have the great functionality but look visually rather lame.

8. ZEViNBOY

ZEViNBOY Member

Help with buying one of those

Hey, sorry to kind of bring that up but I am looking to buy one of those..
    In what ALDI shops in Melbourne they have it?

please please help me

9. nux

nux Member

Tried actually ringing any? Or does that too much common sense?

Last edited: May 7, 2005
  10. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

you would have loved a h120 then, nearly all the function of the h320 yet without the fugly look
    but being discontinued their pretty rare to find now
    im just waiting for this project to finish - http://www.rockbox.org then it will really be the best portable mp3 player

11. ZEViNBOY

ZEViNBOY Member

Apparantly there are no phones in those stores.. aldi.com.au does not display any phones

12. nux

nux Member

http://www.whitepages.com.au gives a phonenumber.

13. Stutz Jr

Stutz Jr Member

I'm pretty certain there's still a few in the Bacchus Marsh store 30 mins west of the city. There's still as many left as when I bought mine so I guess noone else has noticed or is interested out here in country vic.

14. syxx

syxx Member

15. Rik

Rik AWOL

Wow, cheap! I'm about to buy a 1gig solid state player, but for the same price, that's tempting. Alas, the comments above are a bit off putting, unfortunately.

16. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

Splash the extra $50 and get an iPod mini or something. I'm certainly no apple fan (Zen Micro myself), but I also hate to see people wasting their money on Aldi junk...

17. GiGoMaN

GiGoMaN Member

Software

im amazesed noone has mentioned the shitty software the medion comes with i just bought one and i have no idea how music match or any of that works are there any alternatives.

18. spludgey

spludgey Member

I've bought a bit of Aldi stuff and always been fairly happy with it.
    Imo it's better than a 20 gig iPod.
    Not good enough for you because it doesn't have a fancy brandname to it?

19. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

No, but there has been a hell of a lot of negative feedback in the thread - and quite a few people have taken them back.

You can't argue that they're as good as the Creative, iRiver or Apple models, and they're only marginally cheaper than the smaller capacity models - Zen Micro, Mini, and H10. The person suggested they were looking at 1GB solid state, so the capacity of any of the microdrive players would be sufficient, and it'll be a far better device than the aldi.

Do it right the first time. If you really can't afford to spend a cent more than $250, and you absolutely have to have 20GB, they're the only option. If you can live with 5GB, then you'd be far better off with a H10, Mini, or a Micro. Yes, they are brand names, but they're also much better MP3 players - features, support, navigation, sound quality, and battery life.

There's much better deals around for ~$100 more - iPod and the Zen Touch.

For a large, super-cheap MP3 player, they're a good deal.

Just figure out whether it's worth sacrificing the ~15GB for a far better player(as in, quality and usability), or spending the extra money on a same capacity, but better player. All depends what you do with it. 20GB is great, but if you can only listen to 6hrs at a time, it's not much good for international travel, etc. Again, depends on what you want it for.

No problem with Aldi-branded stuff, some of it is great value... some things are value for money, others aren't. Just because it's cheap, doesn't make it good value.

Stutz is happy with his, because it suits what he wants, and that's how it should be. Everyone needs to make sure that it will do what they need - otherwise, you'll just end up dicking around and buy something better sooner or later.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  20. GiGoMaN

GiGoMaN Member

That stil doesnt answer my question WHAT SOFTWARE COULD I USE????????​