new amp time

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Circa_Survive, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Circa_Survive

Circa_Survive Member

well my old stereo amplifier has decided its going to blow a channel so i thought this may be a good time to research possible upgrades from my now broken amp

im looking for a good quality stereo amp to power my 2 DSE bookshelves. the source shall be my computer through a chaintech av-710 being sent thru the analogue output. (hi-res mode etc blah blah)

dont really need all the crazy jazz, however a remote would be nice, and also a sub-preout, but that is not essential.

I know that marantz and denon and NAD make some good amps, but if someone could point me in the direction of a good model for my purpose and some good places to buy it from, be it local or online that would be a great help.

Cheers

2. Basalt

Basalt Member

I think it's pretty rare to get a sub-out on stereo amps - at least i've never seen one but then i haven't been shopping for a new amp for a long time.

How much are you thinking of spending?

3. Wired_man

Wired_man Member

Dare I say the DSE A2760 stereo amp? $150 atm. No remote and I think you can use the record out to hook up a sub (seeking clarification on that one). Many people here have the combo, DSE amp and speakers.

4. antstar

antstar Member

nad 320 BEE, sub outs, and a remote!
    and they're going pretty cheaply too now i beleive
    around 350?
    not to sure about that though.

5. OP
    OP
    Circa_Survive

Circa_Survive Member

i want to spend as little as possible of course, no more than $400/$500

i looked at the DSE amp yesterday and it was up at $199, might have to look into that

thanks for the input so far :)

[edit] where can you buy that amp from (NAD320BEE) in aus?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  6. Katunka89

Katunka89 Member

Many hifi shops carry NAD gear. Although personally I would go with the DSE amp considering many people rate it on par with the NAD, but if you really want the sub out and remote then the NAD is pretty good value.

7. OP
    OP
    Circa_Survive

Circa_Survive Member

yeah i think i will go for the DSE and mod it to have the sub-out like some guys did on this forum.

i can always grab a remote for my pc anyway, cause thats the only source the amp will have atm.

8. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

the dse jobby would be certainly good enough for those bookshelves, just depends if you're buying with future higher end speakers in mind or not, if not , go for it!.

9. OP
    OP
    Circa_Survive

Circa_Survive Member

i would be buying new speakers eventually but not for a long time, so i think the DSE job it is

10. neo_ranga

neo_ranga Member

How about Denon Amp?

11. OP
    OP
    Circa_Survive

Circa_Survive Member

any recommendations on denon?

12. Wacko02

Wacko02 Member

Hey guys, i'm also in the position where my stereo amp for my computer is dead/dying and looking at a cheap replacement.
    The thing is, I use my headphones more than the speakers, so does anyone have any comments on the quality of the 'phone jacks on the amps mentioned above?

13. asiandevil

asiandevil Member

I don't think that the DSE amp has any phone jacks....

14. OP
    OP
    Circa_Survive

Circa_Survive Member

no the DSE amp doesn't have a headphone jack, however i think it is possible to mod it somehow to get one.

[edit] here is the link: http://sound.westhost.com/project100.htm

Ive been thinking, and am considering buying/making a preamplifier, and getting 1 or 2 DSE amps and running them as a slave amp going to my DSE bookshelves. if i was to buy 2 of them, i would try out the vertical bi-amping that was discussed in the amp thread.

now my questions, what are the HF and LF connectors on my speakers? i only have the + and - connecters on the back of the speakers.

what is a good pre-amp to buy or make? i remember some guy in that thread made his own that sounded good but he never posted the plans.

finally would having a seperate pre-amp and slave amp be very beneficial? ive heard the dse pre-amp isnt great. and would bi-amping make a great deal of difference?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  15. mas_wiro

mas_wiro Member

i suppose you can replace the binding post with biwire one, and make slight changes on the internal wiring, but please don't do this, you're wasting your money trying to improve DSE bookshelf, they won't get any better.

there's a thread on how to make a pre-out on DSE amp and how to bypass the pre-amp section. biamping will bring significant difference, you can feel a much tighter and more controlled bass, that's all about it.

16. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

bi-amping is really not going to be worth it on those speakers, definatly not worth the money.

17. OP
    OP
    Circa_Survive

Circa_Survive Member

cool, i wont worry about it then

still worth getting a seperate preamp to the dicksmith one?

18. Basalt

Basalt Member

Maybe - I have a Muscial Fidelity B1 amp that internally looks very similar to the DSE amp, but cost me $700 about 10 years back (for example, the mosfets, caps, toroid). Now the DSE amp is made to a price point that the B1 wasn't and I dare say that the pre-amp stage is where they may have seriously compromised.

19. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

have you looked right though the dse amp thread?? ppl have played around quite a bit with the preamp side of things, maybe get some ideas from there. IIRC there might have been some improvment in the noise department, but thats about it. as expected, its opamp based, maybe you could look at upgrading them, but considering the quoted specs, i think the amp itself is possibly the limiting factor.

20. OP
    OP
    Circa_Survive

Circa_Survive Member

yeah ive read right through that thread, its alot to take in all at once though... too much information.

im looking at a 2nd hand NAD atm, ill see if i can get that, if not i will most likely just get the DSE, but the lack of headphone output is putting me off as i just bought a pair of MS-1's :(