New apartment, no phone sockets? How to internet?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by shiny1, Jan 13, 2013.

1. shiny1

shiny1 Member

My sis moved into a new place and called up TPG for ADSL2. Problem is, the wall sockets are all RJ45/ethernet cable sized. Not a single plug in the wall anywhere in the house is the typical RJ11 phone socket. I can squeeze in the phone socket but it's with some force that it goes in. Is this a common thing? I'm going to call the real estate agent tomorrow when I have time, but I'd like to know what you guys think before I call them up. Am I missing something here?

I'm not sure how I'm going to get internet if I have no ADSL plug to go from the wall to the modem.

[​IMG]

2. letthiswork1

letthiswork1 Member

If there is a phone line there then it exists :p

I would go out the front of the house and see what lines are coming in..

Is it a new house? I highly doubt it wouldn't have a phone line going into the house somewhere. I cannot think if a situation where a house would not have a phone line sometimes they are just not in the most common spots

3. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

the plug on the top right could be for cable.

you have three data points there. there should three corresponding data points in the other rooms.

4. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

i see lan ports, which means the router is elsewhere in the house/distro box/whatever.

being an apartment however, you're probably tied to the services provided from who you're renting from.

5. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

see where those cat5 cables go.
    they probably go into some sort of a cabinet where the router used to be.
    there you'll find the phone socket.

maybe a utility cabinet or space.

6. Pugs

Pugs Member

all i see are network points how ever that doesn't mean squat...

could be the sparkie only used 8p8c's instead of a 8p4c he should have used for a phone point.

could have more points else where in the unit.. so that these three do connect back to a patch panel arrangement of some kind.. and untill more photos/ investigation is carried out they could be anywhere.. and as none of use bar the OP know the layout of the unit we can only speculate what the set up is.. and the RE won't have a clue...

OP either you and or your sister look harder or have a cabler come out and help you find where they could terminate, if the unit has built in's look at the top of them or look for an oddly placed meter box type set up somewhere in the unit or in it's garage.. if it has one...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  7. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

if it is a brand new apartment, it's very possible a phone service hasn't been installed yet.

despite what someone else posted earlier - a phone service isn't necessarily included with a new build. that's why you pay telstra the 299 to run the first socket into the house.

8. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

i am a former building contactor, and there is no way any builder (from my experiences) would leave out a phone line all together in a new home or unit complex, would be almost impossible to get new phone cables thru the place once it is built, especially depending on its construction type.

9. conveyancingrus

conveyancingrus (Banned or Deleted)

You will probably find they had the MDF installed, but not from the MDF to the unit itself.

10. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

well it may be the case now days, but i would certainly find this a bit wierd regardless, because a lot of these new "fandangled designer" type homes and units are built using all sorts of methods, making running cables to rooms impossible in some cases, unless they are surface mounted.

anyway, in this case something seems strange given the networking/cable/antenna lines are all there.

11. GooSE

GooSE New Member

I live in a new apartment and the phone is connected to a socket just like that. I use this cable so as not to damage the pins in the socket, like OP probably already has.

12. stano

stano Member

thats right just get one of the cables from jaycar and you should be fine.
    Some installers use rj45 jacks even though they should use rj12 jacks for phone

13. conveyancingrus

conveyancingrus (Banned or Deleted)

Might be the new standard ready for NBN installations in the possible future?

14. Auriga

Auriga Member

There will probably be a smart wiring panel in a walk in robe or a cupboard or some other out of the way area where all those ethernet cables terminate.

The phone line will likely stop in that panel and ethernet cables go out from there.

15. McRutch

McRutch Member

i've never had an issue plugging rj12 cables into rj45 jacks..

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

That'd be because they're designed to fit.

My place is wired up with all RJ45 sockets for the phone line (there's no data cabling, just 3 phone sockets).

17. OAG

OAG Member

It's a common practice these days to use rj45, pretty much because of nbn, because it will cost more to rerun the cabling if nbn is required

18. callan

callan Member

A property we've just finished renovating was completely wired with 2 Cat6 in each room ('cept bathrooms and Laundry), leading back to a patch panel, in a vented cupboard with a power point. 4 Phone points were wired into the panel, a gigabit hub installed, and a bag full of 30cm patch leads left. A Foxtel cable termination was put in there as well.
    Thus, up to 4 phone points could be provided anywhere in the house, and cable internet distributed to any point in the house. a three-antenna WiFi access point at each end capped the data side of things. (ignorant Telstra installer thought a single embedded-antenna WiFi Router would work fine in a big house INSIDE a brick-walled cabinet, in a solid brick walled house! :lol: )

I plan to put up a build log in lifestyle - it was QUITE an interesting rebuild. (complete stripdown and rebuild/modernise of a 1950's double-brick triple-fronter - took 9 months.)

Callan

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  19. OAG

OAG Member

Can you provide some pictures? Sounds awesome

20. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

At my mum's house, when I use to live there 2 years ago, we got each room cabled with 2 data point min. all went back to a patch panel in the old garage. as we ended up with 14 points through the house, the last 6 on the patch panel got the phone attached. We have the modem in the cabinet so it uses atleast 1 line, but because we have a cordless with 3 handsets that use the one base-station, it uses another line that was already in the house.

When the kitchen was renovated a couple of weeks ago, I moved the phone to a data outlet and ran it by cat5e in the cabinet from one of the patch points with the telephone. Worked well.