New apartment, no phone sockets? How to internet?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by shiny1, Jan 13, 2013.

1. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Get the landlord to bring in a cabler and identify ALL the sockets in ALL the apartments. Landlords responsibility to provide a working phone point to a dwelling.

I am surprised how long this thread has gone on for, simple issue that can be sorted in under ten minutes on the ground....

callen / OAG, get your own thread instead of hijacking this one.

2. callan

callan Member

No it isn't - You're talking out of your arse.
    Water, PROVISION for electricity, and heating yes.
    Phone - NO.
    I should know - I'm a landlord.

It's callan, not callen - and it's not your fucking thread any more than it is mine. I refrained from further comment from my post for just that reason - it had relevance enough.

Callan

3. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

You forgot the TV antenna twat....

4. callan

callan Member

Don't hijack this thread any further with your personal abuse - take it PM if you wish. You're Wrong again, BTW.

As to the OP.

Your best bet is to contact someone on the Body Corporate committee.They will have access to the relevant MDF's, and (More importantly) access to the plans, to be able to sort things out.
    It's highly likely that your landlord will have to do precisely that.

Callan

5. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

*facepalm*

I've meant ADSL modem all along :lol: Hopefully the OP got what I meant when I was talking about sync, etc.

I didn't suggest changing the plugs, though? You could if you really wanted to but I wouldn't bother myself.

Personally, I would crimp a RJ45 to RJ12 cable and put a phone sticker above the relevant socket that is connected or that I pay to get it patched to. Yeah you can put a RJ12 into RJ45, call it whatever but I like matching plug to easily identifiable matching socket :Paranoid:

Leafing through the RTBA book, phone lines aren't considered an essential service in vic and do not have to be installed. It's something you've got to check before signing the lease or filling out the condition report. Generally, the only obligation a landlord has is to maintain the existing infrastructure/equipment as a non essential service if they are installed and agreed to be working when the lease is signed (I think, on the last point).

Personally though, I have inspected rentals that don't have phone lines installed. Some real estate agents are clueless about it, some will not tell you unless you ask.. I've always had a very thorough look around the house/units I've had and bought along a multimeter to the inspections to ensure I'm not wasting my time with a dud. This being an apartment, it seems unlikely that no-one has ever patched a phone line to the apartment as it would most likely still be there but maybe it is a brand new apartment that the owner is renting out and the patch hasn't been done before? Unlikely, but possible.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013