New av cable on the way HDBaseT

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by fallenMeSsIAH, Jul 2, 2010.

1. fallenMeSsIAH

fallenMeSsIAH Member

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

can only be a good things for cablers like myself...

3. Zee

Zee Member

Not really too much info on it, will be interested to see the specs, and if it can actually handle 1080P 60 and DTSHD MA over a single cat 5e (unlikely) or if they will have a separate feed for audio and video.

Though let me tell you, I'd *LOVE* to only have to run cat 5/6, it is the easiest cable to get through a house.

But where will HN make their money now?

Z...

4. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Haha Silly HN!

If this is true, then that's pretty sweet! Would make it soooo much cheaper getting signal's to projectors mounted 15m in the air on a drop lift! Would be good if they created a different connector. Possibly a cable with 5 or 6 pair, and then a bigger plug, that can run audio/video as well as gigabit network/internet!

5. Reaper

Reaper Member

So just buy a hdmi to ethernet converter.

They just want people to update their tvs. No real other reason to change the current standard.

I like the comments about people plugging their tvs into their routers. :)

"This be that thar internet tv right billy joe?"

6. Philbee

Philbee Member

I'm keen to see how this turns out. The business I'm in has used HD15/RGBHV to cat5 converter boxes in the past which has degradation after a 100m run. I trialled a DVI to cat5 box which was okay but only had ~30m of cat5 before it dropped out. They recommended cat6 but I had none around. What I really needed was this.

The real bonus to me would be the elimination of RGBHV looms which are heavy, prone to damage/interference and take up valuable space. Having 5 of these cat cables in a shielded loom is going to save so much time and effort. For a price.

7. trentski

trentski Member

8. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Holy piss that is a lot of cash for a shitty cat5 cable! :( And I guess there would be people that bought them for that much, just like my stupid mate who bought a 1.5m HDMI cable for $300, then tried to justify the cost of it too me... :Paranoid:

9. stevo4

stevo4 Member

A fool and his money are soon parted.

I wonder if they are on sale at HN?

10. Zee

Zee Member

11. stevo4

stevo4 Member

To what?

Looking at what is about wrt HDBaseT, I can't see this tech being available to consumers for 3 to 5 years.
    ie where we start to see equipment coming from manufacturers featuring an HDBaseT port to transmit video and audio.

12. OP
    OP
    fallenMeSsIAH

fallenMeSsIAH Member

13. money_killer

money_killer Member

its really old news wat they can get out of cat6 or cat6a cables its just now they are going to use the cable for that. about time.

or does this cable exceed the cat6 aus standard ? is there a HDbaset standard of some sort ?

a bit silly there havent changed the rj 45 plug that is just looking for trouble

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  14. stevo4

stevo4 Member

You must have the special pricing there.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-D...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278137462&sr=8-1

2 used from $2,499.98 1 refurbished from $999.99

Checkout the customer reviews.

15. bojo

bojo Member

What on earth is the talk about that 5Play thing?.

Seriously. It seems to imply that i could say, view the output from my console in one room to my TV in another, through the cat5/6 i already have setup for my house.

If so cool. If not, nice to only have to buy cat5 cables, but i thought media-cables etc were designed with different plugs so people couldn't plug them in wrong.

16. stevo4

stevo4 Member

Were are you getting that from???

So, you will be buying a new console that can output video over cat5 to do that?

17. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

Awesome, another audio-visual "standard" that offers very little in the way of features and will take months/years for the open-source guys to reverse-engineer so anyone not using Windows(R) Home Ultimate Mega Multimedia Edition(R) with a Creative(R) Sound Blaster MegaSuper(R) and nVidia(R) Ultra GeForce 1 Million(R) can't use it...

18. bojo

bojo Member

I also clicked the link. Sorry it was just in the news article itself. (which is how i learnt about it)

Not persae buy a new console, there are adaptors etc. Moreso i'm just wondering what they mean by it all.

It talks about supplying ethernet/video/audio over the one lan cable. This confuses the hell out of me. Mainly in the hooking up sense. In what situation would ethernet need to be on the same cable as a video signal at the same time, if that isn't compatible with existing ethernet.

EDIT:

http://hdbaset.org/files/HDBaseT_Comparison_Table_Nereus.pdf

I am really getting the idea that is is for networking all the media aspects. There's usb in that table too. To be honest it seems kinda cool on some levels. I like the idea of say, buying a ps3(4 or whatever) and being able to play it in my home theatre room, lounge room or bedroom without having to move the console. (wireless controllers helping there)

http://hdbaset.org/files/HDBaseT Alliance incorporatation_spec annoucement_Nereus_FINAL.PDF

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  19. stevo4

stevo4 Member

I can really see someone plugging one of these cables, carrying power, being plugged into a normal ethernet socket, and goodbye one nic.

As I stated above even if we see hardware coming out featuring RJ45 ports for the purpose of carrying video, audio, etc., it will be a while before ppl bother with this tech.

Alone, it is not going to see ppl upgrade their existing hardware.
    Not if they already have all the cables they need.

Would have been a good idea if it came out 2 or 3 years ago.
    But now really only of interest for those wishing to cover long distances.
    i.e. distances > 10 to 15 metres.

Maybe down the track, for ppl buying all new.

20. imgod22222

imgod22222 Member

When I read this, I thought this would be a coax killer and allow HD to come in through ethernet cables.

But, just a replacement for HDMI? No thanks, I don't need to start worrying about this box with an ethernet cable being compatible with another one or frying each other with their power over ethernet... [Thinking about it from an average-man perspective]