New AVR - Which One?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by eastley, May 30, 2018.

1. eastley

eastley Member

Howdeeeee..

With a chance of plans, I now have a few options of AVR's.

I want great sound, Dolby Atmos etc.. Powerful as can be for the $$$. Pre-Outs and a second HDMI out. 7.1 is fine.

What are my options for around $1200?

I have looked around thus far and found these within budget.

Sony DN1080
    Onkyo TX-NR686
    Denon AVRX2400H
    Yamaha RX-A1070 (Refurbished)

2. deluxe

deluxe Member

The Denon would be the pick of that bunch- I've listened to a few of their latest receivers (both audio and video) and they've been excellent. Clean and transparent. All the usual surround receiver stuff, also the HEOS system which is really the business for audio streaming if you don't want to spend megabucks.

That Yamaha looks good but I'd be wary of any receiver that needed to be refurbished.

I stay away from Onkyo as a general rule, they seem to fail more often than other brands (entirely subjective opinion based on my experience). Sony I'm neither here nor there about.

Edit: Pre-outs not really an option in that price bracket. If that's important try looking around for a secondhand one, although getting a s/h atmos-capable receiver in your price range might be tricky.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  3. pezzy

pezzy Member

id go with the denon or yamaha. yamaha has more preouts, so should you want to go separates on your multi channel setup, it'd be available for you.

4. OP
    OP
    eastley

eastley Member

Well guys, I have purchased one.

I got a Brand New Denon AVR-X3400H for $1398..

Tad over budget, had to sell my liver but oh well.

5. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

good pick!

I love my denon AVR :)

6. OP
    OP
    eastley

eastley Member

I read all the darn manuals of ones I was interested in to see the limitations on the Zone 2 HDMI.

Sound manuals were detailed and some not.

The X3400H has 2 Monitor outs and 1 Zone 2 OUT. The 2 normal ones will mirror one another, but the ZOne 2 can be different source, and it supports stand by through put too, so I can switch to zone two for my xbox on my other screen, flick it on stand by, and use headphone from controller. The X2400H you could not play some sources, so was a tad limited and didn't want to take the chances.

The Yamaha was not detailed enough to know if this is what it did.

7. icewind

icewind Member

nice! got mine for $1420 c/o ebay 20% off.

8. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

3400 seems like a nice unit, I've had my 2200w ($1250) for a few years and it seems for a small price increase you're getting slightly larger amps with a much nicer DSP, XT vs XT32 and sub-eq along with a couple other whistles like DC Trigger.

Never really cared about zone2, bi-amped 5.1 config and the unit never breaks a sweat.