New Bigpond bundled plans

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MR CHILLED, Jun 9, 2011.

1. remi.

remi. Member

Optus also offer free international network congestion :p

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

That link has something about only being able to ring up when you first connect, and service is included in the top plan?? It seems to imply that you have to pay to ring them up?

I wouldn't mind having the movies on demand setup, but I don't want to be stuck for 2 years. If they're any good, why do they need to grab you and force you to stay with them?

3. caspian

caspian Member

not sure what link you are referring to, but as I say the only plan I know of with a fee for support is the dialup casual plan. http://go.bigpond.com/dial-up/?ref=Net-Head-Int-Dial

several reasons:

- the "lock-em-in" mentality is endemic to the entire industry. ISPs, phone providers, mobile providers - you name it. the only providers who don't use contracts are actually risking a revenue loss to do so as a way of differentiating themselves from their competition.
    - it gives the business some sort of business plan from a forecast revenue and projected costs point of view. customers might not care less about this. companies care a lot.
    - it allows the company to run a lower setup fee, because they know they can count on 2 years of guaranteed sales revenue to help subsidise startup costs - equipment, support to get the service up and running, the company's work to establish the account from an administrative point of view etc.

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

The link in the OP. If you select a bundle and then look at Step 3, and footnote 4, it seems to be saying that you have to pay after the initial setup, unless you choose the highest bundle.

A contract of 6-12 months is one thing, 2 years is way too long if the service is crap. They may be assured of income from the people they sign up, but there are others who will be put off by the long term. I signed a contract when I bought my mobile phone, but that was really paying off the phone, but with broadband, all they have to do is connect you up at the exchange..... Telstra's already got an account for me, they shouldn't have any significant administrative costs.

5. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

If you have a technically difficult that is a issue with your PC, there it be a software issue or some other form or problem, if the telstra guy cant help, he'll give you a number to call to ask for assist. These guys charge by the hour or problem (forgot) and i forgot their name..but it's the same ppl dell use also for their after sales problem service.

6. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Basic support, as has always been the case, is included with your service at no extra cost. If you want an extra Premium support service then you will pay for it. And why shouldn't you pay for a premium support service.

7. caspian

caspian Member

ah, I see now. if you're talking about point 4, that's a credit towards Telstra Plus service - the "out of support boundaries" service they set up after they realised it was more profitable to do it themselves than outsource it to Gizmo.

it doesn't cover normal technical support within the support boundaries, that's unchanged. an example of "out of support boundaries" is talking some luddite through figuring out how to select the AV input channel on their TV.

if you think 2 years is too long, don't sign. I doubt they care, because 2 years is apparently their sweet spot - they'd know perfectly well some people might be scared off by contract lengths. they just don't care if the overall profit margin from setting it there is greater. contrary to some opinion, Bigpond's marketing is done by some very smart people. those people might have the soul of Catbert, but that doesn't make 'em dumb.

they still have to set up the individual service accounts, plus all the support systems to do that, plus the people to remediate any issues that fall out.

there is no getting out of contracts, if you don't like 'em then don't buy. it's a bit like the "dealer delivery" charge a car dealer charges you on a new car. we all know it's bullshit, but it's part of the industry.

8. timochy

timochy Member

i thought it was a good enough deal
    signed onto $148 500gig and phone deal.

cant really go wrong with anything from telstra. their network will outperform any others, tho its more expensive, im happy to pay for it.
    changed from three to telstra for mobile
    now changing from amnet to telstra

great to have everything on one bill instead of 3-4 diff companies every month.

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks, it was the reference to helping set up the t-box that had me confused, because I would consider that part of standard service if you sign up for the t-box. If it's an additional service, then I can understand why there's an additional fee.

10. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

I just changed to the $159.00 (500Gb) Ultimate bundle....yet when I log into to my usage page and look at "my plan" it say 500Gb plan for $209.00 per month...I have no extras like Foxtel..so WTF?

11. Sven76

Sven76 Member

The internet plan is not a representitive of the actual price paid.... the discounts are applied when the bill is generated

12. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

ok whats the deal for existing accounts then ???

last nov i signed up to the 200gb home adsl/phone plan for $148 per month, which gave me 200gb data, line rental, unlimited local and national land line calls, unlimited calls to any mobiles in aust, and a $10 international call credit per month, and i then signed up for the mobile broadband 400mb plan for $9.95 which gives me 525mb with the bonus data (they undercharged me by $10 and cant change it now so im ahead on that one)

now they have new plans, will i get more data on my plan, should i call them and ask.

also, my first bill was meant to be $148, but they charged me for the $249 thompson wireless router and $99 for the Ultimate usb modem which were both free on my 2 year contract, plus i was charged $29 for mobile calls that were also meant to be free.

if u dont need tech support or billing enquiries (doesnt happen very often for me) they are great, and i never had it so good for $158 per month, and no more to pay, and its great now not to be scared of calling people on their mobile phones at 80c per minute, if i was paying for my calls, my bill would be well over $500 a month for sure.

13. money_killer

money_killer Member

hate when they do this u should be able to upgrade for free ...

14. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

i doubt you will, i couldnt even upgrade my mobile plan when they brought out the new plans like a month after i signed up to the 2 year ontract, they only way i could have done it was to pay that contract out (which said said i could have with $700 and hand the phone back) and then sign up again. If they cant do that on a mobile plan, i doubt they will on a broadband plan...then again, i hope i'm wrong for your sake.

As to what the above post said first though... that's the biggest thing i have with telstra, you ring them up about combining some of your plans, or change your personal details and they like 'yep, no problem we can do that' so you hang up the phone feeling all happy til you get your next bill and they haven't changed a thing on it. It like after you call them, they don't hit the 'apply' or 'save' button on your account which they do claim is open up in front of them when you call.

As to what you said glenpinn, you'll ring them up and they'll say 'oh crap, sorry, just ignore those expenses and just pay this'". Like they do fix the problem fairly well most of the time, but yer, its its still a pain in the ass when they still cant seem to do the 'simple' things right..oh well :p.

15. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

If you're talking about the mobile network, sure they're the best (although the other players are making big strides in improving theirs).
    IP network? Debatable, depends on how you define 'best'
    DSL Network? Talk to anyone on an oversubscribed RIM/ISAM/whatever ;)

I don't use a landline phone and I live close to the CBD, so the telstra bundle doesn't suit me in the slightest.

16. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

lol i had to call billing once (again) to resolve another issue, and when i mentioned that i was paying $9.95 per month for my 400mb mobile plan, she detected the mistake from the original signup and told me the person who signed me up actually applied the $10 bundle discount twice on the original $29.95 p/m cost (one for the phone and the other for the adsl) and told me it should be $19.95, and told me she will revert it back to the $19.95 from the next billing cycle, and when i tried to tell her she cant because i agreed to the contract terms via the voice acceptance thing they do over the phone (the $9.95 cost was mentioned in the cantract) and she got very angry and threatened to report me to her supervisor for verbal abuse, and told me she will end the call, to which i simply asked to speak to her supervisor, and she ended the call citing verbal abuse.

i rang back, and rather than go thru all the voice promts to get the right dept, i just said "complaint" and was put onto a superviser and i explained what happened, we finished the convo, and 1 hour later i got a call back from that supervisor to apologize because he went thru the recordings of the call to that consultant (it was an australian not filipino) and found that it was actually her who was out of line, agreed there was nothing in my call that was deemed to be abusive, and told me a written apology would be sent to me, and the consultant would be placed on probation for what she did.

after i read the conditions of my mobile plan i found that i was undercharged because of the double $10 discount, but they cant change it because it was their error, and it was in my contract that i pay $9.95 not $19.95 p/m.

the filipino call centre i can handle, but not when it comes to tech support, they read everything from a diagnostics book and can never resolve anything properly, however calling complaints and talking to an australian consultant usually clears things up.

im about to call bigpond sales now about the upgraded plans and see if mine will get more data.

btw as much as the filipino call centre staff can speak and understand english very well, it also helps to be able to speak the filiipino language (tagalog dialect) like i do, makes it so much easier to communicate with them in their own language.

this is another reason why i took the biggest adsl/phone bundle last year, because so many people now only use a mobile number for contact purposes, especially in advertising, which i respond to a lot in my line of work, and calling a mobile from my land line was 80c a call to most mobiles, and sometimes forgetting i was talking to a mobile, i was paying up to $5 and $10 for some calls so my monthly bill with my previous supplier was over $500.

with this $148 bundle, thats all i pay, nothing more and its great, no more having to watch who i called.

also, i needed it because we live in the hills outside hobart and cant get a mobile phone signal, nor mobile broadband using either crazy johns 3G or telstra, which can be a real pain.

thank god for this bundle :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  17. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Fair enough, horses for courses :)

18. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

Do you find they actually do willingly speak tagalog with you? I've dealt with a few call centre providers who will smash their staff if they drop into native language, they have to always speak English.

19. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

hi m8, yes they do revert to tagalog, all i do is ask them if its ok (i ask them in tagalog and tell them my wife is from pasig) and they have always accommodated me.

the call centre is located in Pasig, an outer suburb of manila, the same suburb my wife is from, and she actually went to the call centre last month to have a look, while on a trip home for her brothers funeral.

im not fluent but im as good in speaking tagalog as they are at speaking english, which to most filipinos is their 2nd language anyway, they are taught english in primary school, and most are very proficient with english.

20. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

mmm...if i went a bundle and got a t-box, is bigpond music channel any good?..like is it a constant streaming service like a music channel on pay-tv or is it just like a service like the movies where you have to buy music to listen to anything?

Also...what about the news and sport?... constant streaming or just crap? Just keeping my options open...as it will only cost another 10 bucks a month, it the music channel is good then might be ok to get....just got to buy a TV then :p.