1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

New build - Hevort

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by tumutbound, May 16, 2021.

1. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

After looking at a few 3D printer options, I've decided to go ahead and make a Hevort!

Planned size will be 400x400x390, this is about as big as I can have in my small place.
    Z-axis of 390 lets me choose standard length linear rails and ball screws - no machining required.
    Controller will probably be a BTT SKR as the Duet is far too expensive. I should have suitable steppers, hotend, extruder etc, on hand.

grrrr, uLa32 and m3k like this.
  2. m3k

m3k Member

Great choice! Excited
    happy to help with printed parts if you dont have a printer already

3. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Did you stumble across anywhere that just had one of the popular standard sizes as a kit?
    The excel BOM alluded to on thingyverse is no longer there. Also creator estimated 2-3K USD in a YT comment.

Edit - there's a forum and it's a work in progress, BOM

Was going to throw this entire Bigtree kit, SKR V1.4, 2209 steppers, touch screen ect in the ender 3 but I can't see much point.

Not sure this is the right one but it is interesting.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  4. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

There are a number of spreadsheets available for sizing the Hevort, check out the github pages.
    I've done a rough pricing for the mechanical parts at ~$1200. If you had to purchase hot end, extruder and the necessary electronics, I'd say add another $800 - assuming brand name stuff.
    For my pricing, I chose cheap linear rails, specifying HiWIn rails would 3 to 4 times the cost. Same goes for the ball screws, cheaper C7 grade.

5. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Thanks for the offer. I need to put my Ender 5 back together so I can start printing bits. I was waiting for my XChange tool changer but no sign of it yet. Might have to go ahead with linear rails and direct drive upgrade before hand.

6. m3k

m3k Member

yea the lead times on those are insanely long. keen on seeing your first B.O.M order Etc! keep us in the loop

7. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Extruder and hot end were the next purchase, now the lock down craze has eased a bit a few I was eyeing off are now in stock. Couldn't do that without knowing what it was going to go in.

Just watched the 800mm/s print attempt. Yeah I thought that was the speed at the beginning of the video. Way off.

8. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

The speed he gets that thing to is insane. Mind you. he is running servos for X and Y, and not steppers. (each of those is about $US250)
    I'm looking for a bigger build area and speed than my current Ender 5 and I think it will tick both those boxes.
    As I have more time than money, I'll settle for more modest top speed :)

9. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

I think this is a good home for the bigtree kit. Shall start looking at what parts are required and if they can be obtained.
    My ender 3's been fine but I would like a larger build area and the ability to incorporate the items and I want.

I like the versatility the Hervot offers, I'm not sure it's fully developed but if you have more than 1 printer you can continue to improve it.
    All other options I've looked at didn't appeal to me.

I almost ordered a full metal prusa i3 frame today in the attempt to build a better one but my intention to swap in the official stepper motors was blocked by prusa. No original printer purchase with a serial number ... no spare parts. Basically a Tesla / Apple approach to OEM parts. I'm sure the same or better quality components are out there but it's hard to know until they arrive.

Have you placed any orders yet? There's a ally extrusion business close to me so I think I'll try there for the larger hardware. The rails, steppers and rod ends are my main concern.

10. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I haven't yet placed any parts orders but I have asked for quote on the extrusions from MK Aluminium in Melbourne, recommended by a Melbourne builder on the Hevort forum.
    Rails and ballscrews will be Aliexpress but the Hevort forum has some suggestions of stores to use.

11. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

^^ Haha Geoff, I am stalking you from the HevORT forums :lol:

Looking forward to your log!

Cheers,
    Beano /Melbourne

tumutbound likes this.
  12. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

ah..will keep an eye on this one. :thumbup:
    thats a pretty large build volume. 1.2k is not too bad..

13. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Well if you see any benefit in buying bulk and splitting I'd consider it. Maybe we can get a few more interested.

Your build volume suits me fine so can keep that the same to reduce the complexity.

14. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Another place that has a good price and range on extrusion is AME Aluminium, also in Melbourne. They have price lists online!
    I'm after black extrusion which they don't carry.

15. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Reading a few post the extrusion is best obtained locally. Tas would mean Melbourne I guess?

Black extrusion would be my pick as well. Rate that look with white 3d parts.

I've got a few leads on T-slot nuts and brackets. I have a contact with an account at United Fasteners. I'm not confident they do extrusion accessories but I will ask. I often buy boxes of bolts, nuts and screws in the hundreds for the same price Bunnigns charge for a blister pack.

16. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

those extrusion accessories (nuts, brackets etc) arent universal. make sure they work with the one you intend on buying.

where do you plan on getting your build plate from?

17. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Elec BOM has specified a Silicon Heat Pad using AC mains voltage.

Not sure I'm super happy about a mains powered bed that's got cables being bent repeatedly but once you get that big what else can you do.

18. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

The choice of colour for the plastic parts may take some choosing :)
    I like black but a super contrasting colour (fluorescent?) would also look cool.
    (of course, once I have a super fast printer, I can always redo them ...)

19. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I'm going to ask the extrusion supplier about those, hope they have them in black...

MIC-6 plate is hard to get locally, especially cut to a small size.
    A more readily available equivalent is ATP-5 which has the same specs. on flatness etc. but is made of a different alloy. Calm Aluminium in Sydney can supply this cut to size. (thanks to mrbean_phillip for this and the extrusion source)

20. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

You could still go low voltage if you want. Keenovo have a 400x400, 24V 600W heater. That's going to need a 30A power supply though
    Probably on the low end as power goes though. The one I'm looking at is 800W.