SOLVED New build, new problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Coma White, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Coma White

Coma White Member

Hey guys, put together the following system today
    https://www.pccasegear.com/wish_lists/850892/1080Ti System
    + a Gigabyte Aouros 1080Ti

Initially I had the M.2 drive plugged into the number 2 slot and the mobo would not recognize it, but would pic up the 8TB SATA drive which was plugged into SATA port 1.

I moved the M.2 to slot 1 and the mobo & windows install found the drive and was able get the system up and running, the for the fun parts.

1. Windows Explorer will not show/cannot see the 8TB drive when plugged into the mobo, I've tried pretty much all the onboard SATA ports, BIOS is set to UEFI & Legacy modes, I had already partitioned the drive in my old PC and moved alot of my stuff to it (using a USB enclosure) so I know the drive is not DOA.
    It shows up in Disk Management as a 2tb & 5tb partition, I orginally thought the drive had shit itself somehow, and thought I'd format it & transfer everything again, but when I right click on the drive in Disk Management all the options are greyed out on both partitions, put the drive back in my USB enclosure and it runs perfectly with the original partitions & data intact.

2. 7-8/10 times when I reboot the PC it boots back into windows with low res display, works for a minute or 2 then screen(s) go blank and system becomes unresponsive, next time it boots more often than not things are back to normal (running a 24inch Dell via HDMI & 27 inch Acer predator via display port)

3. Boot times with the M.2 drive seem slower than my previous system using a standard SATA SSD (and kind of wishing now that I went with the same again)

4. This is trivial but every time I reboot the system the Start menu has reverted to the fresh install look with every piece of shit tile on there, even after I 'unpin" them each time.

All drivers are up to date and the W10 install was fresh about 3hrs ago and has completed all the available Windows updates as well.

Any thoughts on how to sort mainly issues 1 & 2 greatly appreciated.

2. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

Updated the BIOS?
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-H-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/
    no idea.
    but if you run cmd prompt as administrator you can have a look to see whether it (the 8tb drive) is visible from there.
    [​IMG]

what to actually do with it though ..no idea. just a thought to determine whether it is the windows install or the actual motherboard.

using the diskpart command, to list volumes etc.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Is BIOS up to date?

I would be removing and reseating the M.2 Drive as it seems as though there is an intermittent connection to it and thus not saving actions, etc and possibly an indication of a failed/impaired install of OS.

What ISO are you installing 1806 or the impaired 1809?

Instead of the pccasegar list can you run Speccy and get the summary report from there (far easier to highlight and google search parts from a summary table).

4. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

when you boot into windows click "this pc" top left of that screen click "computer" then top right/middle "manage" then "disk management" under storage & see if windows sees it there, if so you may need to format it then give it a location like c,d,e,g. ps sorry if this is no help

5. OP
    OP
    Coma White

Coma White Member

Current bios version is 0401, latest version is 0805, tried updating it using Asus EZ Update, no luck will manually do it tomorrow.

Will post the speccy summary tomorrow as well.

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

That's a big change in the BIOS.

7. OP
    OP
    Coma White

Coma White Member

BIOS Update done, now I can't get passed the "inaccessible boot device BSOD" was not getting this error before the BIOS update

8. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

i'd reinstall windows. as to which version of windows. i dont know.

your 8tb is accessible. with the data via usb. wouldnt risk that at this point. but it would be interesting to see if it was visible as a destination drive when you do the windows reinstall.

download all mobo drivers from the asus website and install. dont let windows do it.
    -chipset
    -sata
    -lan
    -audio

use igpu to start. barebones. 1 monitor.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I hate it when you provide meaningful advice but it goes pear shaped.........

Have a look at the 2nd post here;
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ause-fix/8950ec0c-8502-4af4-aca6-be0e41fe463b

But I would be doing below firstly, that is re-seat and reinstall OS.

Again what is the Win10 ISO? Is it 1803 and did you use Rufus to create the bootable USB?
    https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html

I would be pulling and re-seating the M2 drive cleaning all of the contact points whilst it is out with metho, DLing the latest Win10 ISO (which will be 1803 as 1809 is pulled for now) and using Rufus to create the install media.

You might have to review the firmware of the SSD as well;
    https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

adamsleath likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Coma White

Coma White Member

Have got windows back up and running now, 8tb still not showing up in explorer and still showing as the same thing in disk management, screenshot attached. There have been some slight changes though, yesterday I couldn't get anything that I wanted to "pin" to the start menu, now thats all happy, was also getting these small freezes (1-2 seconds but noticeable) no longer getting those.

Attached Files:

11. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

...looks like you need to assign a drive letter...to the 8TB drive.

there is a used portion on the 8tb. presumeably thats your data...and the rest is empty?

If so. just assign drive letters. if disk management doesnt do it. then diskpart will....there are plenty of instructions on the diskpart utility on the net.
    accessed via the cmd prompt as administrator from windows.

but you have to be very careful, or you could easily wipe your data. i wouldnt do it unless you are absolutely certain you know what you are doing.

12. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

13. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

14. OP
    OP
    Coma White

Coma White Member

Sorry for the lack of useful info, it's more ignorance on my part, not intentional.

I used a retail version of W10 which came on a USB flash drive, didn't download an ISO and create the drive with Rufus.

8tb drive does not come up as a listed volume in disk part sadly.

15. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

bummer. i dont know how to do it without reformatting. :)

i think there are third party utilities that allow you to convert the file system without losing the data. ive done this once in the past. i cant remember what utility i used.

16. OP
    OP
    Coma White

Coma White Member

Yeah I'm pretty much resigned to that now, I've still got everything on my old rig, was just trying to avoid having to copy everything again.

17. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

try a utility partition assistant ...convert it to mbr, then back to GPT. that might work.

https://www.disk-partition.com/gpt-mbr/remove-gpt-protective-partition.html

if youve got a backup of the data.

dont know ive never had a 'protective' gpt partition...
    edit: https://www.lifewire.com/free-disk-partition-software-tools-2624950
    i think i used "ease us"...whatever it was it was freeware.

i had to use it when i cloned an MBR disk to a 4TB HDD and then needed to convert the MBR to GPT for the larger HDD.

18. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

So the CMD would be (can also be done in Powershell);
    • list disk
    • select disk n(n refers to the disk which marked as GPT Protective Partition.)
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • exit
    That will clean the protective GPT (delete it) and then convert the same volume back to a normal GPT.

Then I would review in Disk Management and 'Extend Volume' if needed.....

19. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

unfortunately MBR has 2TB limit...so might not work in your case.

20. OP
    OP
    Coma White

Coma White Member

Success!

Through much rooting around plugging, unplugging from the Mobo the system now see's the drives while connected to the motherboard, ending up using Ease Us to wipe the partitions, initilize it as MBR, convert it to GPT create partitions etc then my weekend became not entirely wasted.

Can't remember the exact steps I went through otherwise I would post a proper guide. Thanks heaps to both Adam & Eagle for you help on this.

adamsleath likes this.