1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

New Build Phanteks Evolv Shift X Ryzen/Nvidia Woes

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Tetsuma, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Tetsuma

Tetsuma Member

Howdy,

Being currently defeated, I'm looking to see what I could've missed. I purchased mostly new from PCCG around six weeks ago:
    Ryzen 2700
    ASUS ROG Strix B350-I
    Be quiet! Silent Loop 280mm AIO
    Team T-Force Night Hawk RGB 3000MHz 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black
    Corsair SF 600W Gold
    MSI Duke 1080ti
    Spare Patriot 256gb NVME M.2 SSD
    Spare Patriot 480gb Burst 2.5" SSD

Problem began immediately. Rendering device would drop out during Overwatch and random graphical glitches would occur on the screen. Event Viewer said that the GPU had lost power. The case came with a GPU Riser that people have complained does not have the bandwidth for PCIE 3.0. This was allegedly fixed in late production units. I RMA'd that and the problem wasn't as bad (i.e. happening at the desktop immediately when I log in) but it occurred within roughly twenty minutes of playing Overwatch.
    GPU or PSU, right? Swapped out the PSU for a 850W Corsair and it happened just as much.
    Swapped out the GPU for a 1050ti loaned to me and the issued occurred without change.
    So that leaves:

RAM, Motherboard, CPU, Still the GPU Riser, temps, software.
    RAM- Ran a USB MEMTEST for nine hours without issue BUT the issue isn't as bad if I only have one stick of RAM in. No XMP profile enabled either.

Motherboard- Not sure how to test motherboard.

CPU Temp doesn't go much higher than 35-45. GPU doesn't go above 83. Even if I force the GPU to 100% fan and keep it around 60 degrees it still happens.
    CPU doesn't seem phased and I can OC it normally without it affecting how often the drop out happens. For all this testing i've had no OC. Been playing with it recently though.

Software- OS Was a fresh install. Latest chipset drivers, among other drives. Clean install of drivers with DriverCleaner from safe mode > Install of latest Nvidia drivers. Check all sorts of meme'ery for reg edits for COM errors and such. Nothing has helped.

ONLY TEST I HAVEN'T DONE :( - Remove motherboard from case and test without riser. It's so much work...

What do you think it could be and why?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  2. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

I think you're right with the next step being pull it all down and test it without the riser. If it still happens then than the only logical thing it could be is a bung motherboard since you've swapped out/tested everything else I can think of.

Tried a different monitor and or cable just to make sure?

3. OP
    OP
    Tetsuma

Tetsuma Member

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.
    I've tried my Dell P2715Q and swapped out three Display port cables. Same effect. I haven't tested other GPU outputs though.
    Could try that. I'm leaning towards the riser again though.

4. straiton

straiton Member

5. OP
    OP
    Tetsuma

Tetsuma Member

6. OP
    OP
    Tetsuma

Tetsuma Member

XMP profile on, slight overclock via Ryzen Master. Been going well for two hours.

Pretty strong case for the GPU Riser

Attached Files:

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Madmic3 spent weeks troubleshooting the rig that was aunctioned and donated ... it turned out to be gpu riser .. I think he got it all working by dropping the speeds to pci-express 2.0

8. OP
    OP
    Tetsuma

Tetsuma Member

I saw that being an option for others. My motherboard doesn't allow it and ASUS more or less laughed at me when I messaged them on facebook asking for the option in BIOS...