1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Build

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Dansince87, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Dansince87

Dansince87 Member

Pics on Page 2

Hi guys looking at building a new high end pc over the next few weeks. So far i have all the parts except for the motherboard and cooling gear Which should hopefully be arriving in the next 3-5 days. I know it’s a bit excessive but that’s the way i tend to build pc once every 4-5 years. I was thinking about waiting for Ivy Bridge but i figured i might as well build a kick ass machine while i have the cash to spare.

I got most of the parts from umart and pccasegear.com. Asides from a few select cooling items from frozencpu.com ill be building the beast next week when i have some time off and i will post up some pics. let me know what you guys think?

Build Parts

CoolerMaster RC-942-KKN1 HAF X 942 Black
    Corsair AX-1200 1200W ATX 80+ Gold 100% Modular Cabling
    LGE BH12LS38 Black BlueRay SATA LightScribe Writer
    Intel Core i7 3930K Processor LGA2011 3.2GHz 12M Cache 6 Cores
    OCZ 240G RevoDrive 3 X2 PCI-E SSD, 4 1tb HDD storage running raid 0 From old Build
    G Skill 32G(8x4G) DDR3 1600MHZ PC3-12800 CL9(L9Q-16GBZL)
    Asus RAMPAGE IV EXTREME/BF3 X79 8x DDR3 GLAN RAID USB3 SATA3 4-way SLI/CrossFireX E-ATX
    Gigabyte ATI 6970 OC 2G GDDR5 Dual Link DVI D-Sub HDMI DP PCI-E{ from old build upgrading to 7 series 2012)
    Benq 2412hd 24 inch 2ms 1080p Monitor (from old build plan on upgrading soon)

Cooling

XSPC RayStorm Water Block (updated model comes with 2011 lga mounting brackets)
    XSPC RX360 Triple 120mm Radiator Rev 2. CoolerMaster 120mm 4-Pack Fans ( for the moment)
    Swiftech MCP655™ 12v Water Pump w/ Speed Control
    FrozenQ Liquid Fusion Dual Bay Reservoir - UV Red Helix
    PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 1/2"ID 3/4"OD with 1/8" Wall - RED
    Replaced 2 top Fans with CoolerMaster CM Storm Force Red LED 200mm
    I plan on watercooling the graphics card or cards when i upgrade witht the new series in 2012

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. Lothar_Wolf

Lothar_Wolf Member

Should be a ripper.

3. Nerdbox87

Nerdbox87 Member

You're planning to replace the top fans?

Not planning to chuck the rad up top??

4. Copie

Copie Member

Any particular reason why your using the r4e? It's a nice board but the formula has a better feature set if your not subzero benching.

Also get better ram that kit is shithouse, sb-e loves memory bandwidth and 2133 kits are pretty cheap

5. OP
    OP
    Dansince87

Dansince87 Member

Rad still going up top underneath the 2 fans . Case only came with 1 non led fan so I bought 2 to match the red fan on the front.

6. OP
    OP
    Dansince87

Dansince87 Member

Cheers for the info I didn't know how the new quad channel RAM would work out so I went for a cheap lowest latency kit I could find in the mean time. Was only $200 for 32gb. My first 2 choices were either the formula or the gigabyte ud7 but once I saw the rampage 4 extreme it was love at first site and my credit card was in reaching distance lol.

7. Copie

Copie Member

The formula and the extreme look the same except the E has 4 more ram slots and noisy as fuck 40mm fan on the sb

8. -badlad-

-badlad- Member

Pump top? And damn that is one expensive SSD, more than most peoples rig! Looking forward to seeing it unfold...

9. OP
    OP
    Dansince87

Dansince87 Member

Oh well to late to change now the fan noise shouldn't bother me I put up with 2 ATI 4890's in crossfire for 2 years.

10. OP
    OP
    Dansince87

Dansince87 Member

I'm looking forward to the revodrive ssd its huge leap from the 120gb ssd I bought over 4 years ago. Not sure where the pump will go yet but i am open to suggestions. This is my first water cooled pc still a little sketchy about it hope I don't Fuck it up.

11. -badlad-

-badlad- Member

Or get a block for the mobo.

12. johnyz333

johnyz333 Member

No need, fan is barely audible.

13. leithals

leithals Member

Umm we are talking about watercooling here, it's not about need, it's about WANT!!!!

14. johnyz333

johnyz333 Member

Just on that note, my ek block is on its way!

15. OP
    OP
    Dansince87

Dansince87 Member

Mobo arrived today slapped a few things together after work still waiting on the water cooling kit should hopefully be here by the end of the week,

Tops to pccasegear.com epic packaging is epic had to get the machete out. sorry for the bad pics i took them early this morning after work there wasn't much lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Concept CBF

Concept CBF Member

Why does the southbridge need a heatsink? I thought with 2011 pretty much everything is on the CPU so less cooling was needed for the board.

17. Copie

Copie Member

It doesnt, NFI why Asus put a fan on the SB.

The VRM's however is a different story, the stock heatsink doesnt actually cover all of the VRM's. Getting a block for the VRM's is reccomended if you want to push decent clocks.

18. OP
    OP
    Dansince87

Dansince87 Member

Rig up and running now had couple difculties with getting windows to boot up on the revo drive but got there in the end. Next couple weeks going to get some red cathodes or red led's to place in case. I will probably change the watercoolng setup in next month or 2 i didnt buy any 90 degree compression fittings so this was the best we could set it up at the moment. Testing and clocking begins today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  19. brayway

brayway Member

Not bad, Not too sure if I like the tube routing, oh and it looks weird without the GPU cooled, hurry up and upgrade it :lol:
    Nice projector screen BTW :D

20. jtir

jtir Member

How are the Coolermaster fans on the rad? Decent performance/noise?