1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Camera Options

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ravennoir, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Hello Everyone,

My wife is looking at getting a new camera as her current one was damaged on a trip

Her current camera setup is as below
    • Nikon 7100 body
    • Nikon AF-S Micro 60mm
    • Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3
    • Tonkina 11-16 F2.8 (DX II)
    She is a Amatuer photographer and mostly she uses the camera for Landscapes and Astro-photography

So far the models that look good as replacements are the 7500, 750 or 780

Are there any other options that would be good for her uses, thoughts on choosing a particular model of another

Thanks

2. Hater

Hater Member

what's the budget?

looked at the Z6?

3. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

hadnt seen this one, im assuming it works with existing lens ?

4. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Fully supported but needs the Nikon FTZ (literally "F mount to Z mount") adapter.

5. Hater

Hater Member

Mirrorless is the future

6. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

So the budget is open at the moment, of course we want to make sure we are getting value for money and not paying for features we wont be using

7. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

Z6 is great (i have one), but its FF and you appear to have DX lenses. If you want to re-use existing lenses I'd suggest looking at Z50.

A used D7100/7200 would be damn cheap though.....

8. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Fair point about the lenses - and an FX equivalent to that Tamron doesn't really exist.

That said, the Tokina 11-16 doesn't force DX crop mode, is known to cover full-frame in the 15-16mm range, and you don't have to worry about the mirror colliding with the rear element on a mirrorless camera. So it could be used like a bulky 16mm prime on a Z6 if you wanted to.

9. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

Kinda depends if you want a replacement or an upgrade.

If you want a replacement: If I was you'd i'd pick up a used D7100 for $500 and be done with it..

Upgrade? Probably FX but budget a new set of lenses. Which camera/lenses depends on your uses and budget.
    In the used market, I think D750 is amazing value. But if landscapes are your primary thing, ideally you'd want more than 24 mpx.
    "Budget" option, used D810 + 14-24/2.8. Ideal option, probably Z7 + Z primes

10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

pretty good advice
    cheapest upgrade is the d7200 which fixed pretty much all the issues with the D7100 - but i'd step up to the D7500 at least for the tilty screen which is much better for landscapes.

As mentioned your glass is DX so you'd have to factor selling all that to fund new FX glass

11. Athiril

Athiril Member

The D750, D780 and Z6 are all full frame, the lenses she has are not apart from the 60mm. You’d need the FTZ adapter for the 60mm, and then new lenses to replace the others.

If you want to make use of them, you’ll have to get new lenses, and if you’re going mirrorless there is no reason you have to stay with Nikon. People may get mad here but they are just not at the level Sony is at.

from what you’ve listed the D7500 is certainly by far the cheapest upgrade option.

Frozen_Hell likes this.
  12. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

No mention of what she is doing with the photos? Web usage and small prints? (i.e. A3 or smaller)

Not sure of the reasoning behind this, unless you're assuming its going to be printed very large?

As others have suggested, the simplest/cheapest option is 2nd-hand body of the same model, or the new model version you've already suggested. If she was looking to improve her camera capabilities, particularly for astro-photography then full-frame cameras are just generally better at higher ISO and producing lower noise than crop sensors. But that is a significantly larger spend, new body and new lenses.

13. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

Better acuity. Every FF sensor on the market at <=24 mpx uses an AA filter.

It's pretty common for landscape shooters to want high mpx sensors ...

14. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Yeah, got me eyebrow raised like Frozen on this one. Wants and needs are different things; and "landscape" is uber subjective on a scale of amateur to pro - 24mp is a fuckload of pickles in any case, especially on APSC+ sensors.

Suppose if digital pixel-peepage is of the essence, tog is serious about their craft and money is no issue, then futureproofing for 8K+ may be warranted...

15. Hater

Hater Member

as stated previously

Z50

keep glass

enjoy no mirror

16. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

well yeah, of course it's not required.. but i don't know OP or what their budget/interest level is..

My #1 recommendation was to just replace the D7100 :) it's like half the price (used) of a D7500