New cameras this year.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Modafroman, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

What new cameras are going to be released this year?? is there going to be an upgrade to the canon a95 this year??

2. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Canon NEVER preempt their camera releases. Occasionally there's an accurate leak, but not all that often. Your guess is as good as anyone elses.

The big camera-release event this year, PMA 2005, which starts on the 20th of this month ($10 of fictional money says they replace the 300D then). Afaik there isn't a Photokina this year, so they may or may not announce some products in September as well.

If you want rumors, Bob Atkins keeps a canon EOS rumours page.

Nothing on point and shoots, though. Presumably because the sort of person who gets all excited about every new camera release is usually more interested in sexy gadgets like slrs than the bottom of the range point and shoots.

EDIT - As with computer and audio gear, waiting for a purchase because you think there's a new product just around the corner is very silly.

There's ALWAYS a new product "just around the corner"

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  3. OP
    OP
    Modafroman

Modafroman Member

yea, i guess so. that means that sometime this week, ill be getting a brand new canon a95, with 1gb cf card, case and 2 sets of rechargable batts. im happy :D :D

4. Dan!el

Dan!el Member

I know that the A510 is coming out to replace the A75. Hopefully there will be a A5xx that replaces the A95. :)

5. OP
    OP
    Modafroman

Modafroman Member

but when??!?!?!

6. locopano

locopano Member

I heard there is a new:

300D

IXUS SD model = higher megapixels

They usually come out in stores around late march april going by the IXUS 400 then a year later 500 and 430 releases (both being around that time)

I'd be interested in an older CF type ixus update with no issues like all its older models. Only improvements needed would be larger screen and better movie.

7. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

And a faster lens, higher iso mode, lower iso mode, less noise, less sensor blooming.

TTL viewfinder of some kind.

Come to think of it, why don't they just replace it with the pro1? :p

EDIT - Strangely enough, this is IRONY, and isn't meant to be taken seriously. You wouldn't know it, from the responses some people make :p

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  8. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I don't know about the A95 but it's a 100% certainty that Canon will release a P&S of SOME kind in a couple of weeks. Whether you want to wait is up to you. Personally, I would wait.

9. locopano

locopano Member

My Answer:

because alot of people can get better shots with a camera you can shove in your pocket than a P&S camera with BS bells and whistles..

also some people can get a DSLR for the price of a high end P&S,

and they get it because it portable and takes awesome pics relative(and beyond) to its size price etc

10. parasonic

parasonic Member

I'd be more interested in a new Panasonic Lumix, like a DMC-FZ30.
    Same kind of thing as the FZ20 but that fixes some of the faults that I've read about.

Panasonic have until June to get this out there :Paranoid:

11. Wen

Wen Member

hear Sony W1 gonna hv a upgrade.. W5(5mp) and W7(7mp) but some say this's just a rumor.. so let's wait.

anyway i want a W1 and i will wait and see if this news is real.

12. f@rmboy

f@rmboy Terrorist Photographer

13. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I've used a W1, I have no desire to do so again.

I cannot fathom why people use those things, expensive, useless manual controls (you can choose F2.8 OR F5.6...)

Nice expensive memory too.

-^catalyst

14. OP
    OP
    Modafroman

Modafroman Member

hopefully canon release a new version of the a95 before march, as i have decided to get it closer to my birthday. :thumbup: :thumbup:

15. Wen

Wen Member

gee.. thats like saying "why people use a farrari when u can go around with a hyundai" .. :)

the W1 is a good competitor to the canon A-series, which is winning lots of fans since the release.

MStick is not as expensive as before.. the crown now goes to fuji's XDcard..

16. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Your not hearing me, I'd have an Axx over a sony any day of the week! First thing I do if something happens at work with stock damage or anything is grab the display A85, never lets me down. I just cant understand WHY people pay good money for a W1 it just has nothing going for it.

17. PsyKo-Billy

PsyKo-Billy Member

Reasons people would buy the thing...

1. They think it looks cool. (I put this at the top 'cause it's the most likely reason)
    2. The name 'Sony'.
    3. They think it looks cool.
    4. They like the colour.
    5. They think it looks cool.

Sadly a lot of people are form over function. A perfect example is Harley Davidson.

18. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Meh, I don't think your argument about the manual controls holds water, ^catalyst. I've yet to touch a point and shoot digital that had USEFUL manual controls, and the A85 I used to own was no exception.

Yes, it HAS manual controls. But the lens is so limited in apeture range that you can't do anything creative with it. At the wide end, it only goes from F2.8 to F8. At the telephoto end it's even more restricted. PLUS, as with many point-and-shoot digitals, what shutter speed you can select is restricted by what apeture it's at. It is very difficult to do anything remotely artistic with such limited options.

I'm not knocking point and shoots, I think they're fantastic. But it's a mistake to assume that having manual controls is suddenly going to make them a more useful camera.

Personally, I loved my a85, and think that the whole series are great cameras, for what they do. But the reasons I loved it had nothing to do with manual controls.

19. Azrael

Azrael Member

Anyone gunning for a D70 update? Ill probably be waiting till the end of Feb to be getting that one anyway, so i may as well wait and see.

20. PsyKo-Billy

PsyKo-Billy Member

I'd love it for Nikon to bring out a D80 or something to replace the D70 at it's price point and then drop the price of the D70. But that's not gunna happen I don't think. $1000 dSLR's with a kit lens of some kind would be lovelly.