1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Canon Digital SLR.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Admiral, Aug 20, 2003.

1. gatecrasher

gatecrasher Member

Well if you are talking about purchasing a sub $2000 nikon it doesn't really matter what lens system you currently use becuase they will be useless :p

2. Widowmaker

Widowmaker Member

What are you on about ? you can get Nikon DCS camera's with Kodak digital equipment for under $2000 :shock:

3. gatecrasher

gatecrasher Member

I stand corrected, I wasn't aware you could get a new DSLR under $2k. My mistake.

4. tt_j65

tt_j65 Member

yum!!! woohoo, the DSLR market is getting hotter and cheaper :leet:

/me counts money tin

5. Widowmaker

Widowmaker Member

hehe dun worry no one knows everything :D

6. crudmuffin

crudmuffin Member

Woohoo! Putting my deposit down on one of these tonight at my local camera store - not as cheap as online (I'll be paying ~$1800 for it in kit form), but they provide good service (have purchased there before) and obviously will do deals when purchasing CompactFlash cards etc at the same time.

Soo.... anybody want to buy my P&S digicam? :p

Pity, the camera is due out sometime in the first week of October, and I'm going on holidays on the 28th of september :upset:

Ross

7. z2177199

z2177199 Member

8. gatecrasher

gatecrasher Member

9. z2177199

z2177199 Member

For anyone interest in 300D, dpreview site has a 'highly recommended' review on it.

Not as good as 10d but 500-600 USD cheaper. May as well get it as my first dslr.

:thumbup:

10. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

OK I have ordered my Canon 300d (Digital Rebel). Problem is that they have sold out. I have preorderd and will have to wait about 10 days for another shipment to come in. Aparently they are very popular.

11. c e f i r o

c e f i r o Member

mmmm october is slowly getting closer yay..... then it's time for me to part with my cash and gain myself a EOS300D. I can't wait =)

DirtCheapCamera's is where I'll buy for sure because their service is fantastic and their prices are good to match..

$2k should see me a EOS300D with a 512mb CF card I hope!

www.dpreview.com has a good review on this camera, very helpful.... I was almost going to get a G3 but after seeing the EOS300D it's definately worth the little extra =o

12. bigmaxy

bigmaxy Member

Should be available for purchase from 1st October
    according to an advertisement for Ted's that I saw
    in one of the Sunday papers.
    They were saying $1,999 (I think) less for cash.

I hope someone who buys one posts a mini review here
    for us to read :p

Cheers
    Maxy

13. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Available this week in Plaza Cameras in Perth! They have three demo models available to play with as of last Friday. I held one in my hands. Not as solid as a EOS-10D, but I doubt if anyone would be complaining about its build quality. It is one solid little camera. The offensive looking silver plastic doesn't look all that silvery in real life, it's more like gunmetal.

Oh, and it's smaller and a lot lighter than the 10D as well, which is a big plus.

14. lamcdonald

lamcdonald Member

EOS300D Kit + 2x 256MB CF cards + bag + spare battery = ~$2500 :sick:

:leet: Time to upgrade from my Nikon F60!

The trouble is, I can't afford it until December! :upset: :upset: :upset:

*dies of frustration already*

edit: Hmm... Looks like the 1GB card is MUCH better value, IF I can find one locally...

15. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I notice that nobody is getting excited about the new Pentax *ist digital SLR? I got to play around with one of these little cameras too and it seems very good. It's even smaller and lighter than the EOS-300D but is a bit more expensive. If I had to make my decision all over again I would choose an EOS-300D over the *ist because I would rather stick with the Canon lens system and because ... well it's a Canon.

What do the rest of you think?

16. adzza

adzza New Member

just picked up my 300d today. very nice. will post some pics up in the next couple of days. this is my first digital camera, so all my feedback will be comparing it to an eos 5.

btw....camera + 256mb ultra fast san cf + manfrotto tripod (RRP $245) + bag + PCMCIA adaptor for $2360. sweet deal.

If u have not picked up one in the next few days, u would have to wait for the next batch from canon japan. I checked out a few stores, and most were sold out in a few days and were takin back orders.

17. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Congrats! What lens do you have? Let us know what you think of the 300D, especially if you're comparing it to something like an EOS5.

18. adzza

adzza New Member

i have two lens that i used with the eos5. A canon 35-80mm & a Canon 100-300mm L series. Now i have the one that came with the camera. I thinking of selling my L series lens to fund a new lens. not sure but maybe something more towards macro.

One thing u notice is the lighter weight compared to the eos5. I am seriously considering getting the vertical grip, just to give it some more weight. Plus its handy too.

btw...do u own a alfa?

19. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Sounds like you need a good wide angle lens. The 1.6x crop factor of the 300D will make your 35mm close to a 50mm. Your 100-300mm lens, is that an F/4-5.6? How much do you want to sell it? ;)

20. adzza

adzza New Member

yes it is. not sure. feel free to send me an offer, cash or swap.