New Canon Digital SLR.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Admiral, Aug 20, 2003.

1. OP
    OP
    Admiral

Admiral Member

The Canon 100-300 L is a fixed f/5.6, and congratulations on the purchase.

2. adzza

adzza New Member

i stand corrected. i find the lens seems to be more comfortable on my eos5 than on the digital.

3. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Damn I missed out on the first shipment at centre and have it on back order. Hoping to have mine by the end of the week.

4. adzza

adzza New Member

i doubt u will get it cause all the big stores say that they are waiting on order from japan and it could take up to a month. fingers crossed. thats why i dont like online places cause they dont tell u how long their backorder is and what position in the queue u r. Some retail stores are taking backorders with the promise of refunding the deposit if they dont get anymore this week.

5. crudmuffin

crudmuffin Member

Well, got my 300D Sunday morning... was on holidays all week last week and got a voicemail friday from my local camera store letting me know they had stock.

Took it to the NGK Rally of Melbourne on Sunday afternoon, and had a great time with it - unfortunately I only had my girlfriends slow, slow 32Mb CF card so couldn't play as much as I wanted... now have a 512mb Transcend, and an X-Drive.

I'm upgrading from a Ricoh Caplio RR30 (3mp compact P&S), and my first thought on the 300D was that its just wonderful to hold and use - taking photos is so comfortable with an SLR. Thats probably just cause I haven't used an SLR for a few years :)

I haven't got any decent shots to throw up on the net yet... should get a few over the next couple of days that I'll post here.

Overall: Awesome camera, I love it! Now all I need is a longer lens... the new 55-200 II USM is pretty tempting - I think I'll have to try it out pretty soon.

Ross

6. Widowmaker

Widowmaker Member

Yeah i was in melbourne on the weekend and saw some people picking up there 300d's from camera shops.

So you where at the rally ? where's the pics :D

7. crudmuffin

crudmuffin Member

On a CD in front of me :)

As I said earlier, I only had a small, slow CF card to work with - so I was constantly deleting shots in order to be able to take a few more. The shots I've still got (29 in total, after I 'borrowed' someone elses CF card) are a mix of good & bad photos... I basically just kept the photos of the little Datsun 180B - yes, a Datsun in the Rally of Melbourne. Its my housemates rally team - so why not, eh? :)

Here are two half-decent photos. I need lots more practice with this camera!

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!

Hosted by UGBox Image Store

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!

Hosted by UGBox Image Store

Comments are welcome, and any hints would be good - otherwise, its just a matter of time & practice.

This weekend I'm hoping to spend a day out and about - city in the morning, bush in the afternoon, playing with all sorts of different settings. I'm annoyed I'm at work so I can't play with my new toy! :(

Ross

8. Widowmaker

Widowmaker Member

Yeah the 180 was a laugh , as was the ford's did you see it stack it ?

9. f@rmboy

f@rmboy Terrorist Photographer

I've had a 10D on order from them for 5 weeks now..... so dont hold your breath waiting for it :(

10. adzza

adzza New Member

see if u can get ur deposit back.

11. f@rmboy

No deposit paid, so it's really little more than an inconvenience. ATM I still have the D30 and a G5 on loan so it's not even really an inconvenience. Still, 5 weeks and waiting is not giving me any confidence to purchase through them again, even if it is a good deal.

12. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Be careful.. Dont wanna turn this into a vendor verdict.

13. sewid

sewid Member

Had to talk myself out of it but I almost bought a EOS 300D on Sunday. They are selling for $1850 w/ the stock lens and a 32mb card on Pitt St Sydney. I was quoted about $2100 for all of that plus a 512mb CF or about $2320 or so with the 1gb card. Cash prices...

14. sewid

sewid Member

oh and, does anyone know why Canon are calling the 300D the "Digital Rebel" internationally but the aus spec 300D goes without the Rebel badge?

one more thing: The lens that comes with the camera feels a bit cheap but does the job ok.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2003
  15. adzza

adzza New Member

i thought they only used the rebel name because overseas thats what they refered to the eos300s as. Because we did not use that term, they did not want to confuse us. Thats my thoughts about it.

But all the software and drivers, refer to its the 300d rebel inc. documentation. mere cosmetics i guess.

16. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Well i'm glad they didn't call it the "Digital Rebel" here. That name just smacks of putrid marketing for the unwashed. We are photography enthusiasts, so having to remember a number is no problem for us!

Other marketroid camera names: Coolpix, Cyber-shot, IXUS/IXY/ELPH, Lumix, Finepix. Note I am not talking about the quality of the cameras, I am just moaning about the names!

17. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Mine shipped today so I will have it in my greedy little hands in the morning....

18. f@rmboy

I'm guessing ours are in the same shipment. Mine was picked up by the couriers today as well :)

19. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Here is the official cannon learning centre for the 300d.

A pretty good introduction on how to use the camera. Some of the lessons are a joke(Noise creates an artistic effect, you will laugh when you see it)

http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/lessons_1-5.html

20. f@rmboy