New Cat Owner - Must knows?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Madengineer, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Hey guys!

So I'm getting a couple of rescue cats - Very affectionate. Great kitties. Not abandoned/mistreated or anything - Original owner died.

Both desexed, vaccinated and microchipped.

What are some good things to keep in mind?

What are some of the best foods to keep in mind? And what are the bad ones?

What diets (not diet food) but how much wet/dry food do people normally go with?

Do people exclusively use vet administered heartworm/flea treatment things?

Should I trust that the foster agency took care of everything? Or should I get them checked out myself?

Thoughts?

2. Copie

Copie Member

Don’t let them roam outside/in the neighbourhood

alch likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

They're going to be strictly in door pets. I'm well aware of the damage they do to the native wildlife.

JaC, alch and JSmithDTV like this.
  4. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Get some scratching posts, or say goodbye to furniture, floor speakers etc.

When they first arrive, fretting for a bit can be an issue... something that calms them is actually a little butter on the top of their paw to lick off.
    The packets of fresh kangaroo meat.
    Cheap and nasty tinned food... some of the premium ones are ok.
    Frontline.

JSmith

5. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

If you're doing dry food, make sure to always have clean/fresh water available.
    Have at least as many litter trays as cats, or auto-cleaning one(s).

If they're indoors only and don't interact with other pets/cats much ever, flea/worm treatment doesn't need to be anywhere near as frequent.

If changing food or litter type, change gradually, if you make sudden changes you can upset their tummies.

I'll try to think of more, I'm sure I have some nuggets of wisdom, given we have 4 of the fuckers ;)

6. Tinian

Tinian Member

I feed mine either Fancy Feast canned food or Whiskas sachets if I forget/ run out. Advance dry which they can snack from at their leisure during the day. The foster provider should give you whatever they've been feeding them.

I just purchase the treatments my vet suggests.

There's no harm in getting them checked by a vet.

7. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Ohhh the food is a really good point! I didn't consider that. :D

I was planning on dry food only, and using fresh meat for them, as I personally cannot stand the smell of tinned cat/dog food.

But wasn't sure if that was advisable.

8. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Costco have a grain free cat food that is high rated and on special atm (need membership obvs). I haven't tried on our cat but she'll generally eat anything but friskies.

9. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Even worse (this makes me a bit sad)... I had a kitten/cat that when I changed the litter, he ate the new litter thinking it was food. It swelled up in his throat and I found the poor little fella dead, he'd choked on it. :upset:

JSmith

10. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I'm about 5 hours from the nearest CostCo :D

11. power

power Member

dry food should only supplement a cats diet most of cats liquid/water is obtained through their food. We give our cats either Royal Canin or Hills dry, being indoor cats you will need to be very conscious of how much you feed them or they will get overweight quickly. So go with indoor or weight control varieties.

Be prepared to try many foods if you can't find one they like. If all else fails try BARF food.

I use and recommend catlux litter, it can be bought heaps of places but is best value at Pet Barn - https://www.petbarn.com.au/catlux-softwood-clumping-litter-30-litre Wee clumps and can be scooped out then they poops as well, this makes it last a lot longer, also unlike things like crystals when they track it it won't bite your feet.

See your vet every six months for checkups, worming, etc. Regardless of where they came from see your trusted vet straight away to identify any potential issues.

Post pictures, everywhere. :D And buy them carboard boxes, make sure they have somewhere safe to hide.

If you have an outdoor area consider cat netting. If you value your screens, get pet mesh. :) Your cats will probably like some outside time, grab a little halter and lead and once they are settled try taking them out for supervised outside time - cats live for stimulus.

that is awful :( I would never have thought this would happen, was it breeders choice by any chance? That is a widely used litter but it's about the only one i can think of that would swell up.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    adamsleath and Madengineer like this.
  12. josh1990

josh1990 Member

They deliver...

It was $58.98 delivered for 2 x 8.16kg bags - cheaper than whiskas etc by the kg and not full of grain

13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yeah, it was horrible mate... I was actually just in the other room and after a bit I wondered where he was, why he hadn't come back out of the laundry... then found the poor fella like that. I freaked out a bit, tried to clear the blockage and even tried tiny breaths using mouth to mouth. I then drove like a madman to the vet, coming in rather distressed asking for help... of course it was too late. I always remember this and my lost friend.

I can't remember the brand, maybe Catsan Ultra, but I used to just use the basic litter and someone suggested a crystalline type litter than was better at absorbing liquid and smells. I very much wish I never listened to them or was more careful about introducing the new litter type.

JSmith

14. power

power Member

you weren't to know, no one thinks their cat is gonna eat litter. be heartbreaking. We used crystals for ages, did not like.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  15. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Thanks, I know... but I still blame myself to this day tbh and have never been able to forget the incident. It came at a bad time for me personally too...
    Absolutely... even though it's been 15 years, it gets me every now and then, but I was happy to share this today in the hope it helps someone avoid this. :(

JSmith

power likes this.
  16. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

aldi kangaroo meat satchets are darn near perfect daily size per average cat per satchet. i supplemented with a small amount of high quality dry cat food.

i used water fountains as one of my cats had a preference to drinking running water and i had to encourage fluid as much as i could with him for health reasons https://www.petcircle.com.au/product/catit-mini-flower-fountain/ct43735w

even if they are toilet trained, cats generally need time to get used to a new environment. close them up in the bathroom for a day that will have the litter until you see it used regularly. slowly open up a room a day to get them used to the whole house space. multiple litter trays are ok but i didn't bother, my two were happy to share but that said, it was jept quite tidy and they preferred outside anyway. some prefer open trays, some prefer closed boxes. if you get an open tray, get high sides so the litter isn't flung everywhere.

revolution plus is about as close as you can get to an "all on one" treatment. i purchased the "larger" cat (5.5kg-10kg) 1ml pipettes in bulk on ebay and split each dose between the two cats each month (they weighed 4kg and 4.5kg), whom were in and out of the house.

you can train cats to not jump on and destroy your shit. mine knew well that hard raised surfaces were off limits (benches,.tables, kitchen chairs, desks) and never scratched the furniture. being inside only cats, you will need multiple areas for them to scratch, so multiple poles, logs, sacrifical mats, etc. cats generally like raised platforms like the cat towers, however they are expensive.

Madengineer likes this.
  17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I'm no expert on dietary stuff , but I believe a combination of wet and dry is best. Dry is good for their teeth apparently. but fresh water is critical if you're going dry.. I know it's been mentioned, but can't over-mention it.. Also, Cats also don't like old water. Wet food OTOH has enough liquid for their needs. Don't be alarmed if they rarely drink water if their diet is wet food.

Ours eats mostly small portion wet now days, as she's a real guts now and will scoff dry down too quickly then spew it up largly unchewed. I just compliment with very small amounts sometimes.

Scratching posts - can't have enough IMO if you value certain things. we found encouraging scratch post use, yelling/clapping/startling / whatever immediatly if caught in act of trying to use the couch etc largely eliminated any issues with that. They'll typically prefer a good scratching post over your furniture anyway so it's not much effort.. just have as many as you need, close to things you dont want scratched

Only other advice i have is is be observant.. Cat's are notorious for hiding their problems.. Many times i've picked subtle behavior oddities and know somethings not right, and every time there has been an issue, and been able to catch it before it's bad. (meanwhile others in the house didnt notice anyhting ) . things like licking places on their body more often, even seeing them in unusual places , and of course obvvious things like not using litter - it's going to take a while for them to settle and you to know them, so this is something that's only going to be useful down the track obviously .. but cats are very much routine animals, and that's a tool you can use

18. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

yeh definitely need wet food. they need fat in their diet from meats basically. but cats being cats mate they'll make you aware of what they want. they aren't dogs, although they can be a bit doggy in their behaviours. they are cats and cats eat particular diets.

skimmed the above comments . some pretty good ones.

i fed mine with a fishy broth from Woolworths she loved that one. sometimes a bit of mince. and always had some good quality kibble - from the greencross vet. and always water of course available.
    I'd try the cat with anything. but think (live animal) because thats what felines eat in the wild. fat and protein ;)

a range of that horrible tinned food. that she never really liked but would eat a bit of.
    i stumbled onto the fish broth cat food and she had that every day. she also liked salmon- LOVED salmon healthy stuff . tinned pink salmon. it's cheaper, but not every day. vary the diet, or they'll get bored with it. go figure.

i gave her to my niece. who still has the cat. as she was a tabby and she would shred my old mum's legs to pieces :lol:

YOUR CATS WILL LET YOU KNOW what they like and dislike.

the cat litter i used that hard granule stuff. i also went to PETBARN to get stuff.

19. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

i only fed them a tablespoon a day for their teeth. i would make them work for it, often to hilarious effects. these two were consistently used;

https://www.petcircle.com.au/product/kong-toy-wobbler

https://www.petcircle.com.au/product/catit-cat-senses-food-maze/50745

you can probably find it cheaper, i used that site for easier linking

iirc, the main issue with dry cat food is that it will dehydrate the cat due to the high fibre/grain content which bulks up the stool. this is a big problem for many cats during hot summers, especially as they get older and if they are desexed males.

20. fnp

fnp Member

I use big plastic storage tubs as litter trays. About $8 from Bunnings (cheaper than many 'proper' litter trays) and it stops them kicking litter everywhere. Cats often like to go digging in the litter.

colmaz likes this.