1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

New Cat Owner - Must knows?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Madengineer, Sep 8, 2021.

1. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

[​IMG]
    The Curious Box Curious Cat Box - each
    $24.95
    [​IMG]
    Better Bundles Kitten Bundle - each

I found these great for Lacey from Pet circle and Pet circle in general is a lot cheaper than pet barn but some pet barns will price match

Madengineer likes this.
  2. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I use the large "rubber" storage tubs. I find the high sides help to reduce scatter like you mentioned and they're very durable.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/ezy-storage-16l-assorted-colours-storage-tub_p0216613 I think the ones I use are 60liters.

As for food I use topshelf dry food and roo mince with treats of tinned sardines, salmon or tuna but not canned cat food.

If you want the cats to avoid certain areas of the house while they're being acclimatized then put some tinfoil down on the floor, shelves or benchtops. They seem to hate walking on it and a few weeks can condition them not to go in certain areas.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Madengineer likes this.
  3. Ohmigosh

Ohmigosh Member

Get some interactive toys. Toys that need your involvement as well as toys they can play with when you are not around. Have fun!

4. Martyn

Martyn Member

As above, get them some interactive toys & scratching poles. A laser pointer is always fun for all involved......

Madengineer likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So the girls have been home for 15 minutes :)

[​IMG]

6. Martyn

Martyn Member

Thanks, the one on the right is nearly identical to one our kittens.

I had to go looking for her.....

Another recommendation - buy an automatic feeder if they are going to be left alone while you're at work etc.

20210910_134057.jpg

7. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I'm a firm believer in one litter tray each, plus another. Especially if they're inside only.
    Self cleaning litter trays I would probably stay away from, especially if they have come to you as adult cats. You don't know what trauma they have experienced, and if a cat is put off by the noise of it then they are likely going to go somewhere else. yes, it's annoying cleaning litter trays, but welcome to indoor cat ownership :)

Most cats like to go up, so give them as much space 'up' as you can. Be it tall scratching posts, ledges, steps etc.

If they're inside only cats they're going to get all their stimulus from their environment - which is lacking. So play with them, get them enrichment toys, scratchers (doesn't have to be a post). Kmart is the best place to go, as well as cheapy shops that sell cheap toys and bowls.

8. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah. My local Kmart reopens tomorrow, so going to get a heap more toys there.

And yeah, got a lot of 'up' places. Problem will be making sure they stay off the wrong up places :D

And nah, I don't mind doing the cat litter.

One thing I noticed today, there are sooo many different types of kitty litter! Like, wtf!

I hate the clay clumping stuff...

I got 2 bags of 'Catsun' crystal litter... So far so good.

God and how much! :D

Another friend said 2 cups in a standard size tray... I used a full 3kg bag over 2 trays... Cause the instructions on it says 3-4cm coverage :D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  9. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I used to use crystal, don't know if we used the catsun one, pretty much whatever was on special. Didn't smell and was easy to scoop the solids out, and the replace once the crystals changed colour enough. But it set off allergies for family members. Occasionally you found a crystal or two that had been trampled through the house, but overall not too bad. The litter we're on now, which is Catlux is HELL for trampling through the house, and we've had to set up mats, and cat trays, and what not. But it's still a daily event to clean up around the trays. Doesn't help we have a cat who loves to dig to china, and then fill the hole back up, really meticulously, and for a long time. :o

I did see a top entry little tray at Kmart the other day. Not sure if my cats would enjoy having to jump up on a box to then go into their litter tray, but that would help with the transfer a lot I think.

I use paper pellets for smaller cats, so if by some chance they eat it, it doesn't swell in their mouth or throats, like crystal or clumping. But you go through that really fast and I couldn't use it or bigger cats I don't think.

I just invested in a $14 metal scoop from ebay, (similar to this) which makes cleaning the little trays so much easier, than using the smaller scoops and sifting it for ages.

If the cats like the crystal I recon you're on a winner :)
    If you can, always buy on sale, and even if you don't need any way the moment. You can store to until you do. Pets are expensive :lol:

10. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah I'm noticing that :D

Got them booked in to establish a health check record with my preferred vet, and it's adding $300 on :D

Plus my local petshop had a lot of great stuff I wanted, and well, I get what I want generally :D

Scarpetta likes this.
  11. lazjen

lazjen Member

There are some dry foods that are grain free, so maybe look for those.

We use tins/sachets plus dry food, plus various raw meat (roo being a favourite).

If you find they hoover the food from the plate, there's a chance they might throw up, especially if it's the tin/sachet stuff as that's the easiest to consume. To get around that I started adding a little bit of water to make it more of a soup. This slowed them down, forcing them to lap up the mix with the added bonus and getting more water in their diet to counter the dry food. They will occasionally have water from a bowl but it's not a regular thing.

Madengineer likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So kitties are healthy, and I believe happy? :D

Milly (tabby and white) is bullying Penny everytime I give them attention... Something we're trying to work through :D

Another friend suggested using catnip to see if it mellows them.

What do people think?

13. power

power Member

some cats react to catnip others do not, bullying though is not something i've had to deal with. hopefully it stops.

14. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Fair. Will give it a try. There's dried catnip in a scratching poll thing for them to smell, and also a spray that I'm going to try on a couple of their toys.

15. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

We've had cats for 10+ years.

The best thing I can tell you to do is related to litter. I know you said you don't like clumping clay, but having used pellets, crystals, etc.. I won't ever use another litter except Trouble & Trix clumping cat litters.

They've got baking soda, ocean scent and lavender. Available at all major chain pet shops.

I found that with crystals, they stank. As much as you'd scoop, there were always urine soaked crystals that would get missed, or the dust would clump at the bottom of the tray and we'd be taking them outside and hosing/scrubbing by hand, then everything would smell like wet cat piss. Pellets were the same.

This clumping clay means that someone does their business, and you just scoop out a golf-ball sized solid nugget, and leave behind fresh clean litter. Clings to poop and hides the odour really well. I've gotten three friends onto it so far. You just top up after you scoop. I haven't actually washed the bottom of the three trays I've got in the garage in... over 12 months? longer? and the litter is beautiful, fresh and the trays are clean.

Also, 1.5 litter boxes for every one cat. The more litter boxes you have and the more litter is in them, the lower your scooping frequency becomes :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  16. power

power Member

by spray i assume you mean Feliway? that stuff can be good as it calms cats, all the vets use it.

cats do get jealous of each other, that's pretty natural but if you have one that's being aggressive that sounds like a little something more. definitely a dominance thing.

17. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Ahh that's fair. I may see about trying it out.

I do use litter liners so I don't need to wash the trays out. Scooping every morning, and it's been pretty good so far.

18. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Nah, it's catnip spray I got from Pet Domain that you're meant to spray on their toys and stuff like that.

19. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

To buck the trend of others, we manage 8 cats off 1.5 litter trays. Mind you we have a Litter-Robot so it's not on the average scale of litter trays (the .5 is for that one fucking cat who just wont touch it). With that volume of cats it takes daily topping up and emptying.

I commend you for keeping them indoors. All ours are too but we have an FIV tomcat and we don't want him passing it on to other cats but the others have been indoors only since we've had them.

20. power

power Member

that's an intense amount of catting, how do you manage having an FIV cat with the others, i was under the impression it's highly contagious?