New Cat Owner - Must knows?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Madengineer, Sep 8, 2021.

1. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Non-issue really. It's only really transferred if there is hardcore fighting (which is why it's common in feral tomcats), most we get our of him is a lot of posturing which scares the shit out of the others because he's such a boof of a cat (which is funnily enough what we call him). Same principles at HIV in humans for transfer really.

power and Madengineer like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah, I've actually noticed... My cats use one litter for pooping, and one for peeing.

What type of litter do you use?

3. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

For the bot to work it has to be a clay clumping litter, since the sieve stops the big bits going through when it rotates.

4. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Interesting... Mind linking your bot?

5. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

https://www.litter-robot.com/au/en

At $900AU its not a cheap bit of kit, but we have done the big plastic tub thing for a while before that (still have one as a backup in the garage).

6. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah OK. I gotta tell ya, after scooping this morning and gagging hard, I'd probably happily spend that. Haha.

Probs not quite worth it with just 2 cats though.

7. power

power Member

if you're gagging what litter? The stuff we use you literally can't smell the pee, only uncovered poops.

8. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Nah nah it was the poops :D

Fresh, and kitty decided she didn't want to cover it this morning :D

9. power

power Member

the kitty who doesn't cover will be the dominant one usually. So, have fun with that.

10. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

One of my two never buries. God forbid they do it while you're at work, or sleeping. Either come home to, or wake up to an absolute shit hotbox in the house!

Madengineer and power like this.
  11. mareke

mareke Member

I've never found that to be a problem with my cat. When he needs to urinate or defecate he goes into a room that has a large plastic dog kennel that I bought many years ago at Bunnings similar to the one below. Bunnings still sell them. Inside the kennel is a large plastic box with a decent amount of litter in it where he does his business. When I'm in my bedroom at the other end of the house if the door is open I can hear the sound of him digging up the litter. The kennel keeps any litter that flies out of the plastic box inside it. It works well. I change the litter once a week.

upload_2021-9-25_18-48-4.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  12. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Madengineer likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So I've noticed Milly is gettin SO PUDGY! She's put on quite a bit of weight since being here. A week ago, I noticed that Penny would eat a bit, and then knick off. Milly would eat the rest. I've taken to separating them for wet food meal times, but it's tricky, cause if I keep them separate, it means they don't have access to litter.

They're both also dominating difference parts of the house, to the point Milly got super skitish when I tried to keep her in an area she doesn't normally chill in. It's essentially turned into a front and back of house situation. Penny shotgunned the front, Milly the back.

I've only just noticed this has come to happen, after they had a particularly bad fight, and Penny took a dump in my bedroom (she's started sleeping on the bed with me, or in the direct opposite room of the bedroom where I've been chilling for the last couple of weeks).

Milly on the other hand essentially has dibs on the back, including my computer room, dining room, kitchen, and where the litter is located.

I've actually rarely seen Penny inthis section of the house. A bit of a concern.

I got these two cats because they were raised together, and fostered together. Penny was said to have no love for men. They're both warming up to me quite quickly, but also becoming quite dominating of their 'areas' and me in particular.

I would not have expected this sort of behaviour from cats that had lived together since birth (They're between 12-36 months old).

14. Martyn

Martyn Member

Maybe you're overfeeding the cats?

Our two kittens (close to 18 months old now), don't leave any food after only a few minutes of being fed whether it be wet or dry food. They get fed wet food 1-2 x a day, a small amount of dry food 4 x a day (automatic feeder).

One of our cats (surprisingly also called Milly) is just naturally a smaller cat, while Ralph is nearly twice the size which we all know about when at 10:00pm each night they decide that it's time to do the 400m Olympic dash around the house.

I can't comment on the two cats behaviour, other than suggest separate litter trays in the meantime while one has staked it's claim over one particular part of the house.

15. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Bang a spoon on the tin for a few seconds when you are about to feed them. Always the same tempo. They will associate the sound with food. If they ever get out or get lost you can walk around the neighbourhood banging the tin in the same way to help them find you. I bang it about two times per second on the edge of the top or bottom, which makes for quite a loud, rapid and distinctive noise. We have summoned "lost" cats from the darkness many times with this method.

sammy_b0i, Madengineer and mAJORD like this.
  16. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Sounds like they're just struggling to adjust and to find their place in the new house. Was their any indication they were a bonded pair? or just coexisted? Also Are you sure they didn't have separate litter, and feeding area's previously?

As for trying to force cats into an area - honestly never works well off the bat. They are creatures of their own will. If you want peace, you just have to as much as practically possible let them do their own thing. Even as Bonded pair's they can still fight , and given the disruption to their lives that is a new home, that's not exactly an unexpected thing really.

17. lazjen

lazjen Member

We've got 2 cats (coming up to 4yrs old) and have the litter robot - since they were kittens. It's worked pretty well, although a few months ago one of the cats gave up on using it, so we operate a box as well now. Usually scoop from the box into the bot and then let it cycle to its container. Have to remove the container twice a week (actually, it would be easy to get 5 or 6 days without the need, but it's easier to remember for us that Wed and Sun are the days to do it).

Madengineer likes this.
  18. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

If you find that kitty is vomiting a little too much, and there's no classic hair-ball style chuck - consider that they're eating their dry food too quickly and to buy one of these;

[​IMG]

And make sure that you do feed them wet food daily too, as feeding them only dry food will fry their kidneys.

Oh, and one last thing on diet... grass! They loooove munching on green lush grass. Make sure that they have plenty of access to it.

Keep them indoors, with access to fresh air and (not too much direct) sunshine, and importantly keep them in as much as possible, or supervised, to protect Native wildlife.

19. power

power Member

territory is compltely normal don't freak out about that. It's when a cat loses it's territory to another cat is when you should be concerned (for them).

20. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Do people use kitty litter liners? I'm feeling much of a muchness for them... They keep the trays clean... But spreads stuff everywhere else, cause the kitties ALWAYS claw them...

Worth it?