New Chinese chip maker - the next Intel?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Macca86, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Macca86

Macca86 Member

Just been following the developments of the new Chinese development of CPU's lately, and it's quite interesting.

Now I'm not saying that these chips will dominate the market any time soon, but over time there might be some serious competition against the two giants of CPU's - Intel and AMD.

The chip, at the moment, is called the 'Godson-3' and is developed by the Chinese Academy of Sciences, after the Chinese government called for it's own computer electronics so it doesn't have to rely on offshore companies (such as Intel and AMD) to supply it with CPU's etc.

Here's a nice little summary I found on Fudzilla:
    It will be interesting to see what happens with this, as the Chinese government will no doubt pump alot of money into this. And we all know how strong the manufacturing over there can be.

2. Lardman

Lardman Member

All on the road to independence from the outside world.

Will be interesting to see how this goes down in terms of market share.

3. MomijiTMO

MomijiTMO Member

Well errrr I hope they come in with products but it will be awfully hard for them to compete at the level we are in :(

4. Neviss

Neviss Member

Wow that would be a hard market to break into...

5. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

intel are still probably 10 years ahead on them ...

and if you look at the chip under a microscope .. it will probably say intel made in china ...

6. DeXtOrAu

DeXtOrAu Member

omg...fight fight fight....cant wait for another contender...

7. Bandito

Bandito Member

From what I understand, China doesnt have to recognise international patents, so whats stopping then from just copying a recient intel design? and developing that.

8. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

Trade imbargo and taxes mate :)

Zing, Chinese company dies.

9. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

im pretty sure they could fill the needs of the billions of poeple in china ... imagine if china had a policy that everyone in china should have access to computers ... but then again ... they'd never be connected to the net ... no pron means no need for computers ahhaa

10. Bandito

Bandito Member

Hmmm, I dont know of any country that is crazy enough to take on like 1.? billion people. not sure about how the taxes and enbargos work tho, or if they do.

I dont buy chinese goods whenever I can buy something else - regardless of price (and if I do buy it, I better bloody well need it - if I can survive without it I dont buy it). I wouldnt be supprised if (and do expect that) oneday china's dictator says "thats it, we have now ruined all of the worlds manufacturing, from now on we are not exporting, within 2 weeks the world will be in a recession, and ripe for invasion."

Has anyone tried buying things that dont come from china - they almost dont exist! and the manufacturers in other countries have gone out of business due to the pricing structure that I think has been put in place to force them out of business, and the skills have all but been lost.

They even block internet use. and they have illegally invaded tibeit, imprisoned tibetian people for not worshiping the dictator. The dictator is a criminal! I dont support criminals, so I wouldnt buy a criminals warez. I certainly wouldnt buy something off hitler, chairman mow (not sure about spelling) or the devil either.

I have no problem with chinese people, just the evil ass dictator - he is even more eviler than skeletor!

Well, my 2 cents.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  11. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

China holds a VERY large portion of America's foreign debt, they can't afford to even attempt a trade embargo against china.

12. Bandito

Bandito Member

Yes, china is a developing nation, it is still a third world nation. It need not be, but it is a communist state. I have heard of pirated hardware coming out of china - its damn cheap.

China already has the world by the balls! Next time you go shopping, have a look at where the products you are buying are made! And try finding a similar product that isnt made in china - good luck. Then look around and imagine what it would be like if china did decide not to export anymore, what would the store look like? Empty?

Considering how china has priced its products, if it were to release a comparible product to a recient cpu, not many people would be able to go past it - top line quad core for 20% of the price of an intel perhaps? Then what happens to intel? bust. Not good for us.

13. Bandito

Bandito Member

We represent only a tiny percent of the market. With advertising, 99% of consumers wont be able to understand the difference - price is all that matters to them.

14. Tony

Tony New Member

china will grow stronger!

and lol at china caring about whatever the fuck the rest of the world thinks

china could sell that cpu only domestically and they could survive

contrary to popular belief china can sustain itself in many sectors without exports at all

they have a decent car manufacturing sector and they don't export a goddamn car... yet

15. stablez

stablez Member

Hale to the godson-3 chip.
    Intel will be kind and ask fir this chip to nehalem to its knees. If not it will be an intel slave.

Just kidding.
    You know these chips will become muture in years and people will look for an cheap alternare.

China have aa smart idea.
    OoOoO As usaul.

16. Dopefish

Dopefish Member

I wonder if this is worth/able to be invested in.
    The Chinese economy seems to be booming while others stagnate so it's quite appealing.

17. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

I'll be surprised if this thing comes within 50% of anything AMD or Intel has to offer. Where it will succeed is on price.

18. Tony

Tony New Member

it will thrive in a market where the govt. forces them to use it

they have a red flag linux and their own productivity bullshit package

i don't see why it wouldn't work

it won't run vista but who gives a fuck - it wasn't designed for that

19. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

50% of the speed of a mainstream CPU these days is still fast enough to do just about anything you'd want to do from a productivity point of view.

Once they have it 100% compatible with x86-64 etc and can ramp the speed to the equivalent of a 1-2ghz AMD/Intel chip then it will be sufficient for their needs. They main thing they are trying to do is ensure that foreign countries don't have a level they can pull (ie blocking deliveries of PCs) if ever there is a war. This is a backup plan for the most part.

20. Sub.Zer0

Sub.Zer0 (Banned or Deleted)

LMFAO! I don't think Intel or AMD need to shit their pants just yet.