New Computer Build - MS Windows and Office approach?

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by vladtepes, Sep 9, 2019.

1. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Choosing between MS Windows Home or Pro versions.
    I don't do anything particularly 'out of the box' so I presume the Home version is perfectly adequate?
    Pricing is considerably different Home $169, Pro $279.

Best approach?
    Microsoft Office 2019 Home and Business Retail- $289
    Microsoft Office 365 - $89 / per annum

The subscription model (although I generally hate subscription models) would be cheaper until just after the three year mark. I think most people for general / home /small business use probably don't bother upgrading for two cycles - eg a lot of people would be upgrading from Office 2013 around now.

So call that 6 years - in which case the one off purchase is a cheaper overall deal.
    But then again you don't get any advantages (if indeed there are any) of the interim upgrades.

Thoughts?

2. asho444

asho444 Member

If you have a current windows 7 key your not using it maybe be able to activate a copy of windows 10 as a cheaper alternative.

As for office we use 365 for the one drive access

3. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

The difference between Home and Pro is whether or not you need the perks that Pro provides, such as more comprehensive Sys Admin related tools. If you don't need them, go with Home.
    Office 365 is a subscription service. It'll have no effect on which Office you install apart from the licencing. 365 can be turned off at any time, but doing so removes perks like Onedrive storage and the like.

4. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Home is mostly fine. You lose a lot of control over Windows Update and you can't join a domain and use Active Directory, Group Policy etc. Might not get proper Remote Desktop, either, I think just Remote Assistance.

Office 365 is good value if you use the included 1TB Onedrive storage - compared to paying Dropbox $15pm for 2TB storage, pay MS $11pm and get 1TB storage for each of 5 email addresses, plus Office thrown into the deal

5. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

You can control windows update more with 1903,
    and also there's registry hacks for home which change the 'update delay' period.
    Personally I don't value office updates much, and they put out a new version of it every 3 years. You'll get the same updates as subscription users till then.

6. power

power Member

Office??

Just use the online free offerings if you are just afte basics.

ae00711 and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  7. coathanger007

coathanger007 OCAU Sponsor

ae00711 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Wife needs/wants MS Word and Excel coz she uses that at work. happy wife happy life etc.

Not sure what you mean. Are you advocating for the one-off purchase or Office 365 as the better option?

Re Windows. I do have Win 10 (Home I think) on my current PC. Is there a way I can transfer that across to my new PC? (completely new hardware)

9. power

power Member

there's essentially a free cut down office attached to hotmail accounts.

have a look mate before you hand over any coin.

sign in hit the dots in the top left corner.

Your Windows 10 will not transfer if it's a digital licence, eg upgrade from W7.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    vladtepes likes this.
  10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

If you attach your Win 10 version to a Microsoft account (ie vladtepes@hotmail.com) you can transfer the activation to the new computer using that logon. If you don't have an MS account simply create one for free online.

Open Office (free software) will do MS Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, the works), opening, editing and even saving in MS format if you choose that option in preferences.

vladtepes likes this.
  11. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

If she's used to Office, Libreoffice or Openoffice will probably throw her a bit.

Depends if you're happy to stick with the older version of Office after the three years. I would personally go with the one-off, but that's me.

Only if the license on that computer is a retail license. If it's OEM, then no. See this guide for how-to:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-transfer-windows-10-license-new-computer-or-hard-drive

12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

That's not actually true anymore, O365 users get features that are not included in the perpetual-licensed "2019" branch. Whether any of those features are useful is an entirely different question.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

New LibreOffice has an optional ribbon interface to be less hassle on MS-Office refugees.

Give it a go. You've got nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

vladtepes likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I have used LibreOffice in the past but not for a few years. It's still a nose ahead of OpenOffice is it?
    Can MS file formats eg docx & xlsx be set as the default formats?

15. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

So the transfer above has been talking about Windows...
    I wonder if it's possible to transfer my MS Office across to the new computer......

16. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Well I built the computer and had windows 7 that I upgraded to Windows 10 on it - but that was years ago and I can't recall where the original key came from. Possibly an old Toshiba laptop? (which would have been an OEM then). Confused on that.

17. elvis

OpenOffice is no longer developed. LibreOffice is the active project.

It's moving fast, so check for updates every few months. Compatibility gets better and better every time.

Yes.

18. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

OpenOffice is still releasing updates, however they seem to be very incremental.

19. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

It won't transfer directly, but on the weekend I was able to activate a fresh install of Win 10 on all-new hardware using my previous legit Win 8 license (OEM). I believe the same would work for Win 7.

20. elvis

Major security fixes only. OpenOffice functionally stopped at version 4.X, whereas LibreOffice are now all the way at 6.X.

This timeline shows the main code base, Star Office, and its various forks (Open, Libre and Neo Offices, as well as IBM Symphony). Very obvious where all the development effort goes:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice#/media/File:StarOffice_major_derivatives.svg