New Dual Core 2 CPU + motherboard recommendations?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by HaZZaD, Jul 21, 2007.

1. HaZZaD

HaZZaD Member

HI all,

Am looking at upgrading my Pentium D 3 Ghz system to a new Duo Core 2 CPU and motherboard. Current board does not support Duo Core so a new baord is required. I dont overclock, so am looking at best bang for buck CPU. Have been looking at the 6420 but also noticed the new 6550 cpu's. Also seen that the new Quad 6600 is due on Monday. What do people recommend? I do a little video editing and encoding, also use it as a media externder for my 360 to watch Digital tv and record, etc. Its on 24/7 so am looking at something that will run fairly quite as the Pentium D is quite load when it heats up. Is Quad worth it now or should i stick with Duo Core 2? I may do some HD video playback also so should factor that in, though i realise a half decent video card wil assist in that somewhat. Is there any downside to running 1333 over 1066, taking overclocking out of the equation?

Additionally what would people recommend as a solid board. Once again dont overclock so not interested in those features. Needs optical out, with Sata raid functionality. Would also like silent technologuy built in to keep noise down. Need a PCI slot for an exisiting tuner card and a coupe of IDE ports for some exisintg burners. Dont really want to spend anymore than $200 on a board though.

Any recommendations?

HaZ

2. OP
    OP
    HaZZaD

HaZZaD Member

OK lots of views and not a single opinion. Ah well. Anyway it looks like ther Q6600 is the way to go CPU wise so now i just have to find a matching board. Also i vurrently have 4 sticks of DDR2 333 Mhz. I assume i will have to upgrade these as well?

3. g@z

g@z Member

Kinda in the same position as you. I think this thread should be in the 'what / where should I buy' section so I suspect it might get moved.

I've got a few P4 478 systems, so anything core 2 is going to be better. I'm gonna start with a E4400 and a gigabyte P35 system, one with Intel Matrix raid (not sure if all Intel chipsets support it by default or if I need a specific version). DDR2 333 Mhz ( I think that is called DR667? ) is fine. No need to go 1333 FSB yet I think as the price is too high, and like I said anything is better than the 478 CPU i've got. And you can get 2 gig of DDR2 667 for under a hundred bucks. That's cheap as!

However, having said that, I think that the recent drop of the Quad cores into an affordable bracket means I might just spend the extra to get one of those.

Hope this helps in some way, but it really comes down to how much you want to spend.

Regards,
    g@z.

4. 16c_Killer

16c_Killer New Member

I'm in the same boat, currently running D945 @ 4.08Ghz + i955 MB + X1950XTX.

Been reading alot regarding the Q6600 price drop tomorrow and will definitely get one of the new stepping CPU, G0 - SLACR. Hopefully they will be widely available in 2 - 3 weeks time, prefect timing for my tax return.

I wouldn't get a Core 2 Duo atm since you can have the Q6600 for around $330. It's true that Q6600 is hotter and slower at stock compare to E6850 but the Q6600 shouldn't have problem running @ 3.2-3.4 Ghz.

Also, more future games definitely support Quad core CPUs and thus the Q6600 is the best bang-for-buck 'future proof' CPU for now.

5. OP
    OP
    HaZZaD

HaZZaD Member

OK so Quad produces more heat, so therefore im assuming more noise right? Any comparisons as to how much noisier? My Pentium D 3 Ghz s quite noisy now so i want to get away from that and i beleive the Core Duo 2 runs much cooler than the Pentium D ANyone seen any comparisons for heat and noise production?

6. 16c_Killer

16c_Killer New Member

Just remember the Quad is hotter COMPARING to the C2D. The new stepping Quads will have the same (95W) if not less TDP comparing to the old Pentium Ds. Get a quiet aftermarker cooler and listen to your noise level drop.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_D_microprocessors

I'm toying with the idea going watercooling this time around thus will give a boost to my Quad O/C :thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    HaZZaD

HaZZaD Member

Man this is confusing. Ok i Have a Pentium D 830 3 Ghz CPU, which accoridng to the chart you provided draws 130 W. What is the watt draw of the Q660 and E6420 & E6600. Also do these run hotter or colder than the Pentium D 830 3 Ghz? Im trying to work out what is going to cost less to runa dn run quiter when under general load. I will not be overclocking so heavy cooling isnt necessary, though something that is quiter will certainly help if the stock fan is noisy. On that note is the stock cooler for the Duo Core 2 and Quad the same as the Pentium D?

8. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Best bang for buck probably is the E6750 at around $239... 2.66ghz 4mb C2D at 1333..

or the Q6600 $336

Having said that... the E6750 prorbaly is the newer G0 cooler stepping and all the current Q6600 quads are the older B3 versions..

Nearly any cpu you buy will be cooler than the 830 you have...

Motherboard is a bit more difficult decision..

there is NO current board that is perfect...
    The issue being all the current intel boards do not have native PATA controllers... making DVD / optical drives a bit of a nuisance unless you switch to SATA..

Don't even think about going Nvidia..

If you go 1333, then a P35 based board is prorbaly the way to go (and ditch your optical for new ones)...
    Your best bet is one of the higher end ASUS or Gigabyte offerings... with sliten pipe... (but Im not the person that should recommend the exact model..._

There is no easy solution.....

If you are going really budget.. this combo works well
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=588462

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  9. 16c_Killer

16c_Killer New Member

10. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

The stocks cooelrs on all the intel CPUs are DEFINTATELY NOT all the smae

the E21xx are Aluminium only
    the E4xxx/E6xxx and ALuminium awith a copper cole.

the E4xx are apparantly half the thickness (haven't seen these yet) however I do have the E21xx / E6xxx and E4xxx ones..

11. Lord Davis

Lord Davis Member

It seems while the E6750 is the best bang for buck, this only applies if you not going to overclock it much or if any at all. From what others have said like eva, the good G0 cores are going into the E6850 which yeah is only 3xxmhz more than the E6750 has a far great potential in overclocking... It would be good to see these two against each other in overclocking and with retail samples not ES samples... Anyone know of reviews or people on forums who have compared this?

12. phonik

phonik Member

theres reviews out there, I guess theyre retail as therye showing retail boxes and dnt look like ES chips to me(going from pics of ES chips I've seen). People are getting 4GhZ on air out of the 6850 although its hot 69C, theres also an overclocking review on xbit comparing the chips. I'm still up in the air about what chip I want, I have the rest of my upgrade pretty much picked out, the vid card is going to be subpar for a few weeks though :( and the ram depends on what chip I get if its quad or dual(6400 if its dual).

edit: Im dumb they are Es chips :(

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007