New Godox XPro trigger

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Michael H, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Do u think Kayell could get them? They seem to stock Godox products

2. OP
    OP
    Michael H

Michael H Member

I can understand why they might not want an exclusive distributor, but having a point of contact for warranty and repairs helps the buyer.

It seems the Godox model is keep it cheap, cheap, cheap. No presence, no official distributor, no repairs, not much at all. And of course the buyers keep coming with their innovation, but do not expect backup. A 12 month shop warranty is it.

In the US Adorama and Cheetah seem to fill that gap, by rebranding Godox products and adding that support.

Jinbei is a Godox competitor, but having an Australian distributor does not fix all the issues anyway. You seem to pay extra for it.

I suppose you cannot have cheap, cheap, cheap and some support in smaller markets.

For me, the cheaper Asian makers have opened up the possibility to have a basic studio without costing an arm and a leg. Aliexpress (esp the Selens store), Ebay and Banggood allows you to get those extras like spigots, gels, reflector holders without paying hundreds of $ more (it quickly adds up if you need it for more than 1 flash). The Selens gels for your flash are under $10, the Rogue Gels are around $45. Some DIY also helps, check out some of Joe Edelmen's DIY tips. I made some back drop clamps on which I can also mount a flash for about $8 each (two uses, $8). A near identical clamp cost 3 times as much in camera store - camera gear seems to also get a wedding premium.

And saying that is not how the Australian markets works, seem very self serving! :) Perhaps why studio equipment prices have been so high.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  3. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

A local distributor is an archaic business model anyway. And it's why things here cost more than they should. Whilst places like Arahan Photo* are importing stuff themselves and selling it for the same price as buying from overseas, I can't see why you wouldn't support them? Seems like the way of the future to me.

*not in anyway associated with them. Not even been a customer of theirs (yet)

4. wild

wild Member

Well I've been using a pair of Yongnuo YN568EX II speedlites with an AD360 all on YN622 triggers with nothing but issues recently. Occasionally one of the three units won't fire, or HSS just decides to stop working on the AD360. This new XPro trigger has convinced me to drop all the Yongnuo gear and order a pair of Godox V860 II speedlites, along with the XTR16 trigger for the AD360. Fingers crossed it will be the end of flash issues!

And not having to carry around a pile of spare AA's is a big bonus too :)

5. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Will make your life so much easier.

6. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I have been an AD360 for over 3 years now - what are these AA Batteries that you speak about? ;)

Speaking of old Godox hardware, will this work with my original AD360s?

7. OP
    OP
    Michael H

Michael H Member

Yes, it will work with the AD360 with the right receiver. The receiver must be compatible with the Godox 2.4GHz RF Radio System. At least that is what the specs say.

So you need a Godox XTR16 (the one for the AD360) or XTR16s receiver.

In the fullness of time the XPro will replace the XT16 & XT32 transmitters, so I read. But first the XPro models must roll out for the other brands like Nikon, Sony, etc.

Plus Adorama is working on an update for the X1T trigger, but it is having a few issues according to Flash Havoc.

Having said that, this is not the separate Flashpoint transmitter version we have been working on since early in the year, at this stage its basically Godox’s version of the transmitter used for the Flashpoint version as well (at least for now). And I don’t think anyone completely knows the exact fate of the original Flashpoint version right now either due to some technical issues that are still being worked through.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  8. wild

wild Member

I got my V860 II flashes today! First impressions are... not great. One works fine, while zoom is broken on the other. It's stuck at 14mm :upset:

Before anyone asks, the diffuser and bounce card are fully retracted. When I turn the unit on, I can hear the motor trying to push the flash tube up, when it's already fully extended. Seems like it might be a faulty limit switch or something. Will be going back to the eBay seller.

9. OP
    OP
    Michael H

Michael H Member

The quality of the master flashes is an issue identified over at Flash Havoc. They have been urging Godox to up the quality, as it is behind Nikon & Canon flashes.

Thankfully the more recent AD200 has a better build quality, which will be my next purchase.

Bugger about that fault, never fun with new gear.

10. glimmerman

glimmerman Member

I have two tt600's (manual v860ii with AA batteries) which have been great... but YMMV.

11. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I don't know about that. I've seen more broken screens and controls on AD200's than anything else. Not so much a QC issue, more a design flaw I guess.

12. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

That may be due to many people using a lightweigtht light stand in the field and them falling over. I know I have taken to using a more heavy duty one just to be safe.

13. glimmerman

glimmerman Member

Or not sand bagging...

14. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

We see a lot of broken light mods and flash triggers at conventions. Those light weight stands are convenient but a puff of wind and your gear is done. Persoanlly i go with heavy studio stands for this reason. I've added attachments to mine which can be a spike (for soil) and rubber clamps on hard surfaces for extra stability/grip.

Gym equipment can also be a substitute to sandbagging. Those used for resistance training on your arms/legs add like 2.5kg each.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  15. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Thanks for the info, you've just talked me into getting one :) (BTW, this page has an excellent chart describing what hardware talks to what)

One question though, are there any other Aussie sellers apart from Adorama? (I bought two AD360 strobes from them thinking an Aussie seller would have better warranty options than buying from ebay, but I was very wrong)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  16. wild

wild Member

I had my AD360 fall over with a small softbox at Oz Comic Con this weekend. Was on the concrete at the roof. Bulb came loose and had a few scratches on the plastic, but was otherwise fine.

I use ankle weights from Kmart to hold the stand down, but I didn't take enough. I didn't want to be carrying them around all day.

17. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I heard someone lost a profoto d1 air on the roof at ozcomic con yesterday. A gust of wind and it fell with the softbox. Smashed to pieces. I didn't dare setup on the roof today. Although i saw quite a few shooters on the exterior lower levels (not as affected by updraft and cross breezes).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  18. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Arahan Photo and Kayell both stock Godox. One's significantly cheaper than the other though. Not sure of any others?

19. fcyde

fcyde Member

Just received my X1 and TT600s friday and shot a event with them Saturday. Very impressed, sure the X1 menus are a bit fiddly but once you work it out its EZPZ. Damn HSS is great :D

20. wild

wild Member

Ouch! I was one of those set up on the lower levels for most of the weekend, I was just next to the escalator to the roof.