New house freshly built - licensed cabler

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Stagea, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Stagea

Stagea (Banned or Deleted)

Hey everyone,
    Basically I have moved into a property that has yet to have the phone line connected - it has now been 21 days and my patience has basically come to an abrupt close. Are there any alternative licensed cablers/provisioning suppliers I could use to get a phone line to the house as quickly as possible?

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

I'm guessing you have a Lead IN / NTD (or grey box onthe side of the house / internal cabling all wired up to this point? or??

3. OP
    OP
    Stagea

Indeed I do! It's all setup and wired in - I had the opportunity to speak to the builders and double-check that this was the case.

4. Pugs

Pugs Member

then you are at the mercy of Telstra and their contractors/ system... Howie form these forums had it all set up or so he and I thought an hour and 5 sets of scotch locks later, turns out the contractor hadn't scotch locked the feed from across the street

5. OP
    OP
    Stagea

I was afraid of such horrors. It's a real shame too - the contractors they have I cannot actually get into contact with - the number shown on telstra's site just goes to a disconnected number - and in the evening to a voicemail. I have no idea where to go at this stage...

Thanks very much for the advice Pugs.

6. Pugs

Pugs Member

no worries shame the system isn't easier but hey bring on FTTH

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  7. BoutS

BoutS Member

21 days for an activation of a line?.. I assume a new account was created?

That would be only explanation, 5-7 working days for a new account to get through credit approval, account creation before the guys offshore get a chance to look at it so as they can hopefully provision the correct things, with this taking a couple days to happen you then have the 5~ working day tech policy were they assign a tech to do your job, area workforce allowing as you can see this can be stretched out further based upon workflow (faults/tech availability/new orders/mod's) and hence you have 21+ day time frames in some circumstances.

8. timochy

timochy Member

firstly
    1) house is prewired
    2) job should have been logged as a pre-provisioning ticket which ensures your lead in from the house is fed to the telstra network.
    3) contractor goes out and does the pre pro work but nothing is connected to the network
    4) you move in
    5) you request a new line and an installer comes out and joins the prepro'ed lead in, into the network.

2 years ago, your house would have been JITNEP'ed (just in time network provisioning) which means steps 1,2,3 are done but your line is actually connected to the network. so you just move in and technically you should have a soft dial tone. you then ring telstra and a few hours later it would work, no need for an installer to come out.
    that was too expensive as not everyone these days has a landline connection. no point telstra paying for the work done if only 50% of people get it connected.

9. OP
    OP
    Stagea

Thanks for all the input everyone. I have good news.
    I called the pre-provisioning department on a daily basis and I was told I would receive a callback which truthfully never happened - however I persisted to follow them up.

The reasons for why nothing had been chased up were extremely vague. From 'Awaiting Council Approval' to 'No infrastructure exists on your street'.
    They had a LOT of excuses to pass on so I became suspicious - and frustrated.

After a couple more weeks I decided to report the issue to the TIO just to see if anything could be shuffled along.

The outcome was successful. After the Ombudsman followed up the issue - on May 11th a technician will be wiring it all up to the property and I suppose the line will become active a couple of days after that!

Fingers crossed. Although I was liking the monthly telstra bill of $0.00 :p

10. Pugs

Pugs Member

good out come and good on you being presistant...

and lets hope after all this you arn't on a congestured RIM..

Last edited: May 7, 2011