New house - Telstra NTD / Phone line

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Hive, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Hive

Hive Member

Would anyone have any tips on this? I have the telstra NTD box out front with a wire coming out of the ground (4 wire phone line), unterminated. In theory, if i setup a new ADSL service with Telstra, is the only thing i need to do is have an electrician come in and put an RJ11 fitting on that, or does this have to be done by Telstra? There is also an Cat5 cable running through the wall, into the networking box inside. I assume they patch that 4 wire cable into the Cat5 and put an RJ11 socket on the Cat5?

Telstra quoted me $300 for a new setup, seems a tad high..?

I guess my only real concern here is the fact that maybe that $300 fee includes patching it into a node at the end of the street as well.. it might just be a completely unpatched phone cable at both ends? or is this usually not the case?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. aL4n

aL4n Member

If there was no cable into the house and no NTD, then i would say $300 is fair. Answer to your question it does seem high

3. bcann

bcann Member

$300 is THE standard if there is no connection. Try as you might you can't escape it.

4. OP
    OP
    Hive

Hive Member

I signed up this afternoon, although this time they made no mention of the $300 connection fee despite me telling them it's a new property that has had no service connected before, they said instead it's a "Activation fee" of $89 :confused:

So, would i be right in saying that the unpatched line coming out of the telstra NTD box will have an active service on it, that it just needs to be patched into the house? If so i can have a sparky do that for nothing, or is this something telstra can only do? is what i'm getting at..

5. caspian

caspian Member

does the box actually have NTD written on it? if not then it's just a junction box and Telstra have to extend a connection all the way to the first socket (in the absence of an MDF).

unless the box actually says NTD, in which case it is the legal network demarcation point, it's just a function box and is part of the network, so only Telstra can touch it.

standard price for a new connection if no previous intact line exists.

impossible to tell as you have no facility to check for dial tone without a connected socket.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  6. OP
    OP
    Hive

Hive Member

Two weeks later and so much headache, they booked an appointment today for install and the monkeys did it again - no show.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  7. koopz

koopz Member

"Why must telstra be so fucking incompetent?"

you have been a member here on this site since 2010...

struggling to take you seriously.

I'm not NOT ALLOWED TO SAY WHY!.... HOW is it that with all of the time you and members like you do not have your heads around this?

It's a complicated subject... do you want to be a part of the solution, or continue to be a part of the problem?

Why do I even need to say this?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  8. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

op, send me a PM with your details.. i'll look into it (i work for telstra)

9. OP
    OP
    Hive

Hive Member

That stemmed from lot's of frustration and at least 20 calls to telstra wasting my life on hold. The message came across more ranty than i intended and i acknowledge that. a still ongoing order since the 9th... The order was cancelled in their system four separate times and at this stage i still don't have an active appointment for anyone to come onsite and connect the phone line. I don't have an estimate for a connection.

They have stuffed the order up by raising it as an ADSL order, in an NBN area, so this caused so much back and fourth trying to get that resolved. I'm waiting for them to update their back end system from showing as an ADSL area to an NBN area, despite neighbours already having NBN somehow. I would assume an internet provider has at least some understanding of which technology is in which area of their network / servicable area and would offer that. I had an ADSL tech come onsite to which i will be charged for apparently, he said he can't touch it as it's NBN's equipment. Telstra gave me a date for the NBN techs to be coming onsite to which i also stayed home for yet they didn't show, this is where i called and found out they needed to update their back end system or something before they could actually do anything to install. So now, third times the charm and i'm awaiting a arrangement for a tech to show.

Am i out of line here thinking that this is unacceptable? (Obviously the answer is yes, but internet service providers, how hard could it be?) I do lot's of work from home and this is causing quiet a large charge in excess mobile data - bit unavoidable. I'm unsure what you're getting at, i've had Telstra a few times and they were excellent in previous cases with cable in all properties i had it. Only cable though, never ADSL/NBN

To top it off, a co-worker is having an almost identical experience getting ADSL to an existing/established property. Only he began his move order 29th September and still doesn't have an ETA.

Am i just stating the obvious..

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  10. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Yes, you are stating the obvious. Plenty of anecdotes here and elsewhere of the big ISPs' less than stellar outsourced support when issues are encountered (sales, billing & tech).

One reedeeming factor of the NBN / RSP model is you are no longer reliant upon Optus & Telstra for >30Mbps.

Personally I value my time and sanity more than the $10-20/mth price difference between a Telstra bundle and an ISP who offers quality support. How much is your time worth?

caspian likes this.
  11. caspian

caspian Member

so much this. I'll happily pay a little more for an ISP that offers a quality service including support, and frankly I think we all should lest we all lose access to the ability to do so. support companies that make quality products available.

side anecdote - my partner works for a large service company that made the tactical mistake of offshoring a lot of their customer contact functions over the last two years. they're now scrambling to rehire and retrain staff onshore because of the customer backlash.

12. OP
    OP
    Hive

Hive Member

Oh... nbn

Attainable rate: 13.9 / 0.7

In my rental, i had faster ADSL :cool:. Can't say i'm surprised, when the place was being built though the developer claimed a node distance of 400m, was actually 1.8km according to the nbn tech. Such is life.

Someone mentioned to me that this falls below the guaranteed minimum delivery speed?, but i doubt that. Long term though, do NBNco have plans to ever do anything about situations where nodes are too far away - i can't imagine them ever adding new nodes, and reconnecting lines in such a way to be shorter distance?

EDIT:

Reading further into it, it seems the guarantee during "ADSL co-existence" is 12/1. They *apparently* tweak the power levels at the node, Once all ADSL is shut off it moves to a minimum 25/5 guarantee?

How would they accomplish that if the node is 1.8k away, or are the line test meters confused by this power tweak and see it as a node being further away?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  13. caspian

caspian Member

nope. only has to support 12/1Mbps at layer 2 during coexistence, then 25/5Mbps afterwards. add roughly 4% to those figures for layer 1 bitrates.

only if the resulting connection doesn't meet the government's mandated requirements. there will be some additional nodes added, or the other possibilities are to deploy FTTC. or redesignate the locations to fixed wireless or satellite service if the cost of a terrestrial solution is above planning limits.

I doubt very much you are actually 1.8km away from the node though. the connection would be extremely unlikely to work at all at that line length.

Hive likes this.
  14. roger895

roger895 Member

I am ~1.7km away from the node and my line rate is 26/6mbit.

15. caspian

caspian Member

mate, if you are 1.7km from the node then it would be a record. I got one to work at less speed than that on a shorter line than that after 5 days of solid effort between one of my best diagnostic techs and the best copper field engineer in the state. including tricks like physically bonding two copper pairs to considerably increase the effective gauge of the line, and hand-writing a custom profile for the DSLAM port.

if you're getting >1Mbps upstream then your line has usable frequency response well into US1 in the 998ade bandplan, that's very unlikely much over 1200m.