New HTPC Build - Please help!

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by KLoNe, Jul 8, 2012.

1. KLoNe

KLoNe Member

Hi guys, thanks for reading. I am looking to put together a new HTPC and I'm not sure if these will be the right components.

CPU: AMD A6-3500 - $78
    CPU Cooler: ?
    MOBO: Asus F1A75-M LE - $95
    HDD: 128GB Crucial M4 SSD (Selvage)
    Case: Streacom FC8 - $181.50
    ODD: Panasonic UJ-225 - $70
    Remote: ?
    RAM: ? 4/6/8GB?
    NAS: 12TB Synology DiskStation DS411j (Selvage)

Looking to have it running XBMC (100% of the time, no dropping back to Win7) 24/7; smooth as silk playback and maybe a game here and there. HDMI to my Cambridge Audio 551R and then to my Panasonic P65ST50A.

Your thoughts?

Many thanks! :)

2. Sledge

Sledge Member

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  3. Fishface

Fishface Member

That case is ITX so the M-ATX Asus F1A75-M LE will not fit.

4. Scootre

Scootre Member

Prob get a separate video card with HDMI out and make it an nVidia. You'll have a better time of it if you ever decide to try out a Linux -based HTPC like MythTv / Mythbuntu. I'm a fan of the latter and the nVidia drivers work a lot better out of the box than AMD on a Linux HTPC, from personal experience.

Not sure an SSD is right for the HD though. The read/writes will ensure a short life I would have thought... though I've had not experience with these on an HTPC. I run WD Greens in mine and even with multiple simultaneous household connections, the performance is great. I found 7200 RPM drives for the media / recordings ran too hot. Especially Seagates.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  5. Digit

Digit Member

I think Linus Torvalds would take exception to that =p lol

As for your build OP, looks solid. I'd change a couple of things though, such as swapping your 128gb SSD to a 64gb SSD and only install commonly used programs on it, you've got the storage covered with a NAS.

Also aside from that, maybe use savings on boosting that CPU to the A8? The more powerful GPU component could come in handy if you ever feel like running a small game or using the GPU to encode movies.

What are you planning to use to capture the TV?