1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

New iPad Pro - Photoshop CC thoughts?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by iMomOx3, Nov 9, 2018.

1. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Couldn't really find a thread or discussion around this plus this thread is more about the Photoshop CC app which will become available in 2019. If you've seen the keynotes you'll see how powerful this new ipad is and what it can do. Keynotes link is the second link I've provided below, and see the Photoshop CC demo at 1:06:30.

https://www.apple.com/au/ipad-pro/
    https://www.apple.com/au/apple-events/october-2018/

I've never owned an iPad but my work involves me using Photoshop/Illustrator for digital media and this really has me keen to make the switch. My main station at work is a full desktop windows PC but for touch-ups at home that's convenient and portable it definitely looks like it's going to replace my work laptop which is Windows based.

At this stage, I'm convinced - but without Illustrator it won't do much for my work at this stage. Hopefully Apple announce something and work on Illustrator asap. Anyone else looking at getting the new iPad specifically for the Photoshop experience on the go?

2. Hater

Hater Member

In the Apple marketing world, you get to be a part of a young, trendy interracial couple, editing your happy video snaps so easily and so well using an iPad and iMovie, laughing, singing, and praising the iPad for allowing you to share your memories to the world, where your friends group and extended family definitely adore and love your holiday travels and care a lot about that prawn cabonara you ate on a tuscon street in the sun.

In real life, iMovie on the iPad is a clunky POS that doesn't allow you to do anything compared to the desktop version, your friends don't care about your lunch and your Waifu doesn't count as an actual girlfriend.

Call me cynical but i'm 85% sure it'll be shit.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    MrSnuffy, miicah, Sipheren and 2 others like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Think you need to watch the actual Keynotes video before you talk.

And we're talking about Photoshop CC here not iMovie.

[KEi]SoVeReIgN likes this.
  4. Hater

Hater Member

You don't think the iMovie keynote was any different? It's all about file management too. Sure you have the pencil, pen and stuff but what about storing and manipulating files? 3rd party plugins? It's going to need a big change to workflows, that's for sure...

One of the biggest gripes with iMovie on the iPad is getting footage onto the bloody thing to work with in the first place - Unless you're walking around the place taking videos with some 12.8 inch behemoth, it might kind of work OK, I guess.

5. power

power Member

the new ipad is a beast, the software is still well behind.

i'd recommend getting a cheapy ipad and just have a play - you don't need to buy the new one to see what the workflows are like.

oh and you're waiting on adobe not apple.

6. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

And you still don't comprehend that we're talking about Photoshop CC (aka CREATIVE CLOUD) and not iMovie...

Lemme rephrase this, Creative Cloud.

Sure the workflow still won't be as seamless as any desktop, nothing portable can re-create that. That's why they're considered 2 different classes of products. But if you actually watch the Keynotes video and put file management aside, I'm here specifically talking about how we can essentially run the full suite of Photoshops features and tools whilst being on the go or having it portable. It's a major step in seeing the potential of the whole Adobe CC Suite in a small form factor.

I'm not fanboying Apple in any way - I've not owned any Apple product ever but always open my options to make my work environment as easy and seamless as possible. Convenience when I'm at home and on the road. I lunge around a laptop that needs to be powerful enough to run Illustrator and Photoshop simultaneously. It's something I've considered for my line of work.

[KEi]SoVeReIgN likes this.
  7. power

power Member

if this is a business just buy a device and try it, that will be the best way to tell. i can't recommend to people enough if it interests you try it yourself. What works for some may not work for others.

Zee likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

This thread isn't for me for advice on should I buy it. It's a thread just to discuss about the use of Photoshop CC on the device. And my opinions are just stating that it interests me and may be something I'm considering to use for work. But as mentioned, I'm not convinced unless Illustrator is on there. Can we not have a discussion around what people think about the new iPad in general?

9. power

power Member

in that case keynotes are a terrible way to measure anything. keynotes are lies built upon lies to sell something.

10. Hater

Hater Member

*shrugs*

your words, not mine.

How exactly does the cloud help anything? Are you going to be transferring GB's of RAW files via the cloud? Nobody does that because it's a dumb idea.

Hey, maybe it'll work great. Doubt it though.

I am an Apple user and have been using Apple products in a professional sense for years. Their previous attempts to push the iPad as a professional device have failed spectacularly, I just don't see this effort being any different.

There are two kinds of transcans* in most Apple editing shops, the ones used for editing, and the other one, under the desk, is where the iPad belongs.

*that's a lie, they're all HP Z8's running MacOS these days but that ruins my imagery :(

clonex likes this.
  11. giles666

giles666 Member

They already have Affinity Designer and Photo of the iPad which a pretty much feature equivalent alternatives for Illustrator and Photoshop and both run excellently. It will be interesting to see how Photoshop on the iPad stacks up once we get it.

As for video, Rush and Lumafusion are great editing suites on iPad that will do most things you need. Really can't understand why Apple hvan't brought Final Cut to iPad yet though.

12. Zee

Zee Member

This - I have an iPad Pro, and use Affinity for my pics. I still prefer Mac with (insert your photo app of choice), as it's far simpler to get 279 photos from my SD card to my Mac, than it is to get those same pics to my iPad. It can be done, and Affinity will deal with my Olympus RAW files, but I first need to import into photos, then get at those photos from Affinity. I can't imagine Adobe are going to be able to make it much easier while Apple's file system works the way it does.

Sure, I could throw it all in the cloud, but for that, I need to plug my SD card into my laptop so I can upload... Oh wait, why don't I just work off my laptop again?

Once you have that part sorted, it works fairly well, the pencil is nice to use, and like all Apple products, it "feels" nice in hand, and Affinity has been an excellent non subscription alternative to Adobe and their CC product. For our artists int he office though, they get Photoshop CC and Mac Pros, because they contract states the client states what they want, and the client pays the bills.

For me, Affinity and my iPad pro do the job really nicely when I am on a super tight weight limit trip, but I still reach for my laptop given the choice. And iPad running OSX... Now that would be nice.

As Power says though, it's something you need to try. You won't know if you love it or hate it until you've spent the hours giving it a crack. No amount of polished best case scenario keynote presentations or Mac Fan reviews is going to change that, and I think that is Hater's point.

Z...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  13. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Pretty sure hater and power have some sort of auto notification for any thread that mentions apple. They appear out of nowhere to crack the sads no matter what the topic.

OP - I’m don’t work in design professionally but many of my friends do, they’re all insanely excited about Photoshop on the pro. At the very least it’s the final nail in wacom’s coffin.

The full feature claims by adobe aren’t ridiculous given the processing power of the new pro. It sounds like Adobe have invested significantly in a new codebase (Shame they never really have on MacOS).
    It might not make a lot of sense at a design house with strict workflows and integrated infrastructure, but for anyone actually using CC teams features it might be great. Can’t wait to see where it ends up.

14. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I have no doubt it'll work, it won't be the seamless experience a desktop can provide though. Especially considering iOS is a fairly limited OS at the best of times.

15. giles666

giles666 Member

If they can get this Adobe Cloud thing working properly than is just might. Just store everything on the Adobe Cloud and you have seamless acccess to it everywhere.

16. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

All the professionals I see really want huge amounts of fast storage when it comes to the Adobe CC. The cloud is too slow and too expensive.