New Jack Russell!

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Madengineer, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Hey guys!

Exciting times! I'm finally getting a new dog!

After pussy footing around about it for the past year, finally pulled the trigger!

Getting a rescue 9 month old Jack Russell next weekend (when I finish work).

Couple of things I want some advice on, is it too late (at 9 months old) to crate train?

She's an incredibly affectionate dog. Absolutely gorgeous! She'll be both indoor and outdoor dog.

Secondly... She gets car sick... So so bad. The current owner brought her over this morning so I could see her and have a bit of a play/chat, and she threw up in the car. Apparently she always does it.

Could this be because she hasn't been in cars much? What would help with this?

The owner suggested sedatives... Which I don't want to use if she's throwing up tbh...

Thirdly, I'm looking at an invisible barrier collar for her, as she's small, and I'm not sure if she'll climb/jump/dig under the fences. Could anybody recommend one?

Cute pic for attention!

[​IMG]

firey4059, cmi83 and adamsleath like this.
  2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Adorable!
    She's not too young to crate train. At nine months, she's still a baby. Even if she were older, you could still do it. My little princess only started using a crate when we got her "brother".

I don't know about your other questions.

What's her name?

3. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

She's called 'scruffy' which I don't particularly like. I've been told it's easy to change it, but try and stick to names with similar sounds.

firey4059 likes this.
  4. broccoli

broccoli Member

As long as you introduce the new name at treat or dinner time, they'll learn anything. :D I always call my pets a variety of names, they'll come to anything for the right tone of voice.

firey4059 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah, but I want to make sure she knows to come to her specific name, not just tone of voice. I'm going to try to get her into puppy school over the holidays.

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

She will. Jack Russells are clever little cookies, she'll pick up a new name in no time. My Freddie is really called Alfred. He'll come to either. He'll also come to Alfie, Fredo, mate, puppy, hey you...... anything. She'll recognise your voice as much as what you are saying. Dogs are like that.

BTW: I just remembered that my little dog used to get car sick when she was little but she grew out of it. I can't remember how young she was or when it stopped, it was a long time ago now.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    firey4059 and Madengineer like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Nice! We'll go with a new name I think. Scruffy doesn't suit her :(

I'm picking her up on Friday afternoon. I'm so excited! :D

Still after any advice if people are keen?

Currently working on 'dog proofing' the yard.

firey4059 likes this.
  8. broccoli

broccoli Member

Call her Matilda. She looks like a Matilda. You could call her Tilly for short. or Millie.

9. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

There's a joke at work that she should be called Bella, because I like Twilight :D

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

All my pets get called that at one time or another, Bella or Bellissima.

firey4059 likes this.
  11. firey4059

firey4059 Member

What a fantastically responsible choice to acquire a rescue dog. We've had a few and lets just say, somehow, they know it and repay you may times in joy. We've always had boxers. We've had Elle (she had incredibly long legs like Elle MacPherson) aka Ellebelle, Bella, Belly, Elspeth, etc. Then we had Gypsy, aka Gypso, Gippo, Gypsky, etc and finally we have Tia who is aka T-bone, T and Tia Maria. They know who you're talking to. Enjoy your family's new dog Madengineer and Merry Christmas.

Madengineer likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Cheers man!

I've been looking for ages, trying to find the right fit! Unfortunately I've never wanted a large dog, and that happens to be most of the rescues :(

But I'm super happy with this!

firey4059 likes this.
  13. broccoli

broccoli Member

True, it's probably about 99% big dogs on the rescue pages, and you have to be quick to snaffle a little one when they come up. They go quickly. (I think Freddie may have been overlooked as a little man, because his mugshot made him look like a bigger dog than he really is.)

firey4059 likes this.
  14. hollysmum

hollysmum Member

Congratulations!!

I always tell my adopting families, start out how you want to continue, if you want to crate train start straight away, if you dont want the dog on the furniture or in certain rooms start straight away. She will learn any new boundaries as long as you are consistent.

Name change is the same, lots of positive rewards when she responds to her new name and in a few days she will be fine with that.

Car sick - start by letting her sit in the car, if she doesnt get sick, turn the engine on and same thing, if she doesnt get sick then start by reversing down the drive and perhaps a small drive to the park down the road, get out and play, reward her for not getting sick. Repeat and extend the times you drive her until she doesnt get sick. Small trips keeping her from getting sick, will get her used to driving. You could look at using some calming medications like rescue remedy or Calm, distraction may also help so you could try giving her something long lasting to chew.

edited to add....
    Boundary collars are good but I have heard stories of dogs running through the boundary in fright and then not being able to get back into the property as they will get zapped. Might be worth thinking about before you get one

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    firey4059 and Madengineer like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Thanks for the info!

I've decided against the boundary collars. Just going to try and make sure the yard is properly secured. Won't know how secure it is until she gets here, and I figure out if she is a digger/climber :(

firey4059 and hollysmum like this.
  16. Sledge

Sledge Member

Same here.. but that's what we got this time, and she's 'mostly' a great dog :)

17. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Going to take a lot of getting used to. I've never had an indoor dog before, so it'll be an adjustment for me. Apparently she loves to sleep with people, so it'll be an adjustment for her, because that won't be happening. haha

firey4059 likes this.
  18. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

My dog used to throw up in cars but doesn't anymore, I think it's because she's an older dog and her previous owner didn't drive. After a bit of exposure and changing cars from a 5 speed manual to 6 speed auto, smoother ride and no more puke!

Madengineer likes this.
  19. broccoli

broccoli Member

on her first day at your place

Fixed that for you. :D

Have you thought of some names for her?

20. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Not really no :(