New kid on the block .. (first DSLR)

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by salmon, Oct 28, 2013.

1. salmon

salmon Member

Hi Guys,

Ive had my camera for a little over two weeks and i've been mucking around with its features and capabilities, i've steering away from point and shoot auto mode.

I've got a long way to go so please hit me up with some feed back

Cheers :)

Photos below have been taken on my Canon 650D using the Canon 18mm-135mm lens that came in my kit... My Tamron 18mm/270mm is wrapped up for christmas ...eagerly awaiting haha:p

[​IMG]

Bondi Beach

[​IMG]

Bondi Street Art

[​IMG]

Bundeena Coastal Walk

[​IMG]

Purple Flower... of some sort

2. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

Did you do any post-processing? Were these taken in RAW?

(first photo isn't too shabby but need less water. you might get away with current composition if you had something interesting at the bottom like a boat or a seagull?)

3. OP
    OP
    salmon

salmon Member

Photos were taken in RAW and JPG in the case i take a really good shot and want it blown up or edited or what not, these were uploaded as JPG and haven't been touched.. i get what you're saying with all that open space up front .. cheers :)

4. matthewh133

matthewh133 New Member

Couple of quick pointers:

1. Your focus is a bit off off in most of these. Work on making sure you're using the right aperture to get everything in focus. Get yourself a tripod too :thumbup:

2. Get yourself lightroom if you can afford it. It will help you bring in a little more colour and cut down the highlights like the sky in your beach shot.

3. Most importantly, keep practicing. I go back and look at my shots I took when I first got my camera and have a good laugh. You'll pick it up quickly if you take the time to research and learn as much as possible.

Good luck!

5. WoobiE

WoobiE Member

Ah welcome to the seemingly endless amount of information to learn to get good at photography :)

Re the Bundeena Walk shot, I can see what you were trying to do with the shot, but the rock that the camera is sitting on is are more of a distraction than a complement to the shot, and the focal point being the rocks to the bottom right tends to draw your eye away from what should be the attraction of the shot, the water smashing into the rocks in the distance.

With all of the shots, they seem quite flat and lifeless, I would aim for more contrasty shots, shooting when the light is casting some shadows around, taking advantage of shooting in RAW to post process a bit of depth to the shadows and upping the clarity a touch to help things stand out from each other somewhat.

Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with as you improve :)

6. OP
    OP
    salmon

salmon Member

Sorry for all the questions haha

Thanks for the feed back guys, most of these photos were taken in the late afternoon so i was mucking around with the aperture, shutter speed and ISO.. as i found the auto ISO was making in particular on my coastal walk everything a tad over exposed ... ill keep at it tomorrow ill be in the city with my girlfriend but i only have my 18-55 lens, any tips for shooting around moving cars?

also when and what situation would you use the depth of field button??

Cheers,

Michael

7. WoobiE

WoobiE Member

Woah, you just taught me something! I had no idea what a DoF button was, looked it up and discovered what the little button on my 5D is haha.

8. OP
    OP
    salmon

salmon Member

Haha well I've been trying it in AV and macro mode but I'm not sure that I know what I'm doing with it haha :/

9. WoobiE

WoobiE Member

When you are looking at the shot you are composing, you see the lens at wide open aperture, with its shallowest DoF, by pressing in the button it shuts the aperture down to whatever you have it set at, so that you can see exactly what the DoF will look like when you snap the shot.. I imagine it would be most handy in macro photography, and for doing a quick check in a group photo that everyone looks in focus, things like that.

Someone with more suggestions on how to use it might have better advice mind you!

10. beLarge

beLarge Member

if you are noticing that your shots are always overexposing, check out Exposure Compensation http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/exposure_settings/exposure_compensation.do

Also, a good tip I read a while back, download your manual as a PDF.

Also, Good work and keep taking photos :)