New Laptop battery not charging.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by jjo, Dec 11, 2012.

1. jjo

jjo Member

Hey guys,

So after my original laptop battery died I bought a non-genuine replacement off ebay and installed it this afternoon. Its showing up as 82% charge, which I presume is the charge the factory put in, but its not charging any further. Same thing pretty much happened with the old genuine battery which is making me think that this is a problem separate from the battery and the charger. Laptop is an Asus u43 bought new in 2010.

Not really sure what is causing this. I have downloaded and burnt a linux live cd after some googling suggested and it still indicates 82% charge but is not charging and just connected to A/C.

For the month or so that I waited for the battery to arrive it works just fine off the ac adapter so is it possible the motherboard circuitry is at fault here?

What are my options? My laptop has not seen a hard life and apart from the battery functions just fine so I'd like to investigate the possibility of repairing it at this stage.

EDIT: have also reinstalled the microsoft battery drivers/power managers to no avail. All critical information was removed/backed up already so I'm willing to do anything to get it back.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. Herro

Herro Member

Are you saying the laptop will not charge beyond ~ 80% or that it will not charge at all?

3. OP
    OP
    jjo

jjo Member

It will not charge any battery i put into it.

Whatever charge the battery had in it it will keep if have have the ac adapter plugged in. If I remove the battery it will run off the battery just fine until the battery dies.

I crossposted this to reddit and got a few more replies there. One poster suggested that the battery charging cicuit has failed. Which is seeming increasingly likely IMO.