New Loop, similar parts (some better) but hotter temps (PIX)

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Lan Addict, May 22, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

Yeah haha I don't mess around. The ek seemed like it has minor perf increase over the corsair but with the issues people having with them being noisy I wasn't keen..had similar issues with my corsair sp120s and wasn't keen. Ml20 just seem like the Fit

2. im late

im late Member

INSTALL

POST RESULTS

:)

3. grrrr

grrrr Member

I would put the res on the suction side of the pump (right before the pump).

4. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

Yeah deff will, im expecting a 10 deg drop over the results with the covers off. Also when i was at PLE i had a look at the h500 i beleive it is, looks very similar to my case but its smaller but it has this vent at the top. If i get something get cut similar into the the front and top of the case just larger that would be ideal.

[​IMG]

its a res and pump combo so its inbuilt.

5. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I wouldn't go expecting 10C from new fans alone mate, that's very optimistic - although it's possible I misinterpreted the post there and you meant 10C without the front and top, in which case I think you're being pessimistic.

Using Aer (1) RGB fans myself - won't buy NZXT fans again. Overpriced and underperform for the given noise, there are far better fans available. I just wanted overall RGB control and they were first with a proper strip 'n fan solution, and I'm a fuckwit and got all impatient when I put the current rig together.

I'm going external radiator and down to ITX shortly, but skipping the 'big boy' (I have the 1080 (9 x 120) version of what im_late's got) and just sticking with a 420 SR1, as I don't have room under the corner desk for the 1080 without brackets or a floor stand, and I sold all that ages ago. I've got three nice Phanteks 140SP's lined up for it - no lights for me outside the box this time. I wish I'd arrived at that decision before buying ten (admittedly cheap) RGB 120s off eBay, but whatever. My fan box is overflowing :p

6. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I can send you some excellent NMBs for that champ, but you'll need to feed them 24V. We've just replaced a shitload in the VSDs at work and I scooped them out of the parts bin - what a waste. They're monsters :thumbup:

Dew point will probably be a prick though, you'll have condensate everywhere.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

Yeah look I'm deff expecting 10 deg difference at load from what I got now with the front and top removed 55 deg at Max load cpu. What you have to know which I don't expext you to cos there was alot of convos between me and I'm late where I figured out how shit my case is for flow and how bad my fans are. I have two of the rgb nzxt and the rest of the fans (4) are the non rgb shitter version of the rgb's. Their static pressure and cfm through a radiator is less than 1/5th the corsair ML120. They are just trash.

On my old setup which was much much worse of a water loop than I have now my gpu never went over 35 deg. Mine currently with the front and top off with the shit fans is getting 45 deg. So this is why Im expecting 10 deg minimum.

I've measured up the jet cutting of the front and top of the case and going to try get that done this weekend. Send some pix once it's done and I'll post up the max load temps on cpu and gpu once I've replaced the fans today and done testing

juzz86 likes this.
  8. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Sounds like you're all over it mate, keen to see what you end up with! :thumbup:

9. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

Ok so final results with 5 x Corsair ML120's on the rads and left the 1 x NZXT AEF (non RGB) 140MM on case exhaust next to the top 240 rad

These were my previous results:

1. Benchmark 1 with 60% duty on the water pump (pwm header removed) and a dynamic fan curve i have created in NZXT cam. MAX TEMP RESULTS: CPU 76 GPU 58
    2. Benchmark 2 with 60% duty on the water pump (pwm header removed) and fixed 100% duty cycle on all fans. MAX TEMP RESULTS: CPU 75 GPU 58
    3. Benchmark 3 all same as 2 but the front cover and the top cover of the case removed MAX TEMP RESULTS: CPU 55 GPU 40

Results with new fans Corsair ML120 fans:

4. Benchmark 4 with 60% duty on the water pump (pwm header remove) and fixed duty cycle on all fans MAX TEMP RESULTS: CPU 49 GPU 36

so a 6 deg difference in the CPU and a 4 deg difference on the GPU. It holds way more steddy, there isnt as much temp fluctuations. Also idle temps are way lower so i can have the duty cycle of everything set to the lowest. IDLE TEMPS: CPU: 32 GPU: 22

I dropped off my top and front coveres to Edgeworks in osborne park to get the 100s of mini circles cut out to make a mesh form on the actual covers but it was goin to cost $750. So i got them to just cut two large rectangles in both with circled edges not sharp. And ive ordered the same mesh as the case has on other parts and im going to paint white to go with the black and white theme. $50 to get those rectangles cut, couldnt justify $750 lol

10. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

11. im late

im late Member

The PWM plug NEEDS to have four wires to be PWM

And the Molex power connector is just your 12+ plus ground wire.

12. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

yeah im a little confused by it aswell. It says D5 Liang PMW on the bottom of the pump and on the primochill website it says the same.

If i plug a fan into my NZXT fan controller and use a splitter cable to plug in the pump to the splitter the RPM changes as i change it in the controller so it works but if i plug the pump directly into the controller or the mobo it doesnt detect RPM and the pump sits at like 10% or something very low.

13. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

Forgot to mention that when it is connected via the splitter cable it only runs at the fans duty cycle. so it will match the fan RPM i believe. the max duty cycle via the splitter makes the pump sounds less powered than if i have the header unplugged so i gotta figure something out

14. im late

im late Member

Take a close up picture of both plugs coming off your pump and post here. :thumbup:

15. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

K will do.

16. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Pump pulls 30W which was a bit much for a fan header when the PWM D5 was introduced, so they feed 12V via Molex and PWM signal by 4pin, with only two pins connected - one for PWM sense, one for RPM sense I think mate.

17. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

Yeah your right but i think the RPM sense is busted doa tbh.

18. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

Bois i got a bit of an update on the case mods. Edgeworks in osborne park (if your in WA) flow jet cut this for me. Second time ive used them for some case modding. Cost me $90 in the end rather than get 768 micro holes cut to simulate the rest of the case's mesh. Just cut these large holes then gonna put some mesh identical to the hole mesh i wanted anyways inside these cuts and paint it white.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

juzz86 likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

Also i went with 3x140mm cut so if i ever wanted i could upgrade rads/fans. the mesh will hide the smaller 120's so it wont matter at this point.

20. juzz86

juzz86 Member

That looks awesome mate. Again, boggles the mind why there's not an Airflow Edition already, it looks like it was made for it.

Some of Bill's Honeycomb Mesh would bring it up sweet.