"New" Mac Air (2020)

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Zee, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Zee

Zee Member

So, apple quietly released the new Mac Air. I got an email for my business account.

https://www.apple.com/au/macbook-air/

Actually seems pretty good. Base model comes with 512GB SSD, and *finally* 4 core i5 and i7 (10th gen).

$2k kicks you off with the 4 core i5, which, whilst still pricey, is certainly much better value than previous options.

Lack of the stupid Touchbar along with updated scissor key mech, and what seems like a reasonable set of specs for a light-weight means this may actually be the model that I update to from my enduring late 2014 model.

Z...

2. 2SHY

2SHY Member

$2000AUD+ for a ultra light device is ridiculous. The device is great, but Apple pricing isn't realistic.

everybodies likes this.
  3. Hater

Hater Member

Dual i3 and a 256GB SSD is $1499 if that makes things better as far as ultraportables with not much power go

4. miicah

miicah Member

Price comparable with the Dell XPS. That never used to be the case, I wonder if Dell has slowly crept up the price on the XPS to bring it in line with Mac air pricing?

5. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

Never said it was cheap, and Apple products never will be. It is "reasonable", though, compared to the outgoing model and pricing.

For those of us using Apple, for whatever reason (I need OSX for work, as Savant control systems are only programmable via OSX, the nature of my work means I also need to be fairly proficient when it comes to iOS, Android, OSX and Windows of a few generations), an i5 Mac Air is probably the best power/value proposition I can see - and, a proper keyboard to boot.

Z...

6. everybodies

everybodies Member

i agree. other's have slowly crept up prices as in 'if Apple can get away with it so can we'.

i think Air is very lightweight when it comes to muscle. i dont know, apple laptop prices are just insane really. Air would be ok for $1000 but that's about it.

7. Azrael

Azrael Member

Im not so sure, my last XPS13 was $1799 for a mid range model. So pretty comparable.