New Mac Pro - 2018?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by elvis, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Perko

Perko Member

Yes because 8 core Xeons, 10Gbe NICs, and (rebranded) Samsung NVME drives are uncommon.
    If someone's looking to spend that kind of money, they're either looking for extreme levels of compute to increase their content output, or they're the kind of idiot who runs around screeching about their crappy workflow that can't possibly change because Apple has become shit for the high end, actual pros.

One of those people might as well just throw their money at a shredder and be done with, the other can probably live with finding somewhere to put a tower around their desk.

thecondor likes this.
  2. Hater

Hater Member

Some of the quantitive analysis people at work run around with $30,000+ into HP Z8's and Dell Precisions, I don't think think some of the design shops where people have been trained on Final Cut would bat an eyelid on giving their producers one of these if they were asked for?

Or iOS devs etc

3. aokman

aokman Member

They have their reasons for doing it, yes the magnetic mounts were good but allowed dust to get under the glass and left a decent air gap between the glass and the screen. Partially user safety also as the mains power for the PSU is exposed.

You have obviously never seen the iMac Pro in person... it is dead sexy in space grey. Looks way better than a workstation box.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    everybodies likes this.
  4. Perko

Perko Member

Way to miss the point. Or make it.
    I have seen a couple.

I'm talking about compute per dollar, but yes, you're probably right.

5. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I work on the pieces of shit.

The dust is from the intake fan and the piss poor interior design from an airflow perspective. The dust situation is made worse as a result of Apple making the screen harder to remove as now it costs more to clean all the built up crud out of the unit.

The whole design is dated and looks awful.

thecondor, demiurge3141 and Perko like this.
  6. bYrd

bYrd Member

... as does any Intel iMac predating this, but at least they had user accessible RAM slots. I don't think I've ever heard of someone electrocuting themselves cracking open one of those. "Pro" Apple hardware was always made to be serviceable and upgradable, and these $10 - 20K turds are glued shut.

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Taking a quick look at the thread title, it's been almost 2 years since news of the Mac Pro.

iMac's? Mac Minis? Blegh. PCI-E is still an important thing to high end users, and Thunderbolt chassis only get you so far, tiny form factors blows goats, etc, etc. C'mon Apple, why am I still buying HP Z8s by the truckload running shit-Windows when you've been promising me that you still care for the last decade?

Just recycle the mighty cheese grater, fill it full of insanely fast PCI-E, SATA and NVMe slots, slap macOS on it and send it to me. Not difficult.

8. bYrd

bYrd Member

I'm still amazed at the prices of 2009 - 2012 Mac Pros because of this. Yeah, it's not hard.

9. aokman

aokman Member

Wrong, the ventilation pulls air in from around the edges of the screen along with its proper air intakes which can deposit dust on the way past. I have had to clean quite a few of them and even strip one LCD to get to the backlight diffuser for cleaning. Never seen this issue on any of the newer revised designs.

So come up with something better and start your own company if you're such a rocket scientist.

There are quite a few people who have copped mains shocks from iMac's and stuffing around inside them, just google it. Only a matter of time till someone died from it. Basically any all in one PC has a similar layout and so do SFF OEM computers like MSI when they copied the Mac Pro design.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    everybodies likes this.
  10. flu!d

This happens because the actual intake is clogged 100% with crud, airflow takes the path of least resistance and it's actually easier to pull air from the edges of the screen than from the intake. Once again, the cooling design is pure shit.

The cMP was a vastly better design, sadly Apple view it as I mistake as it wasn't 'disposable'.

And they all shit themselves, until recently I had a corner of the workshop full of the all in one pieces of crap.

11. everybodies

everybodies Member

yea. it does look awful when you compare it to a Dell T5500, now that's an engineering marvel that is lol

12. miicah

miicah Member

I mean, I've been working inside desktop PCs for nearly 20 years and I don't think I've even had a static shock from a single component or case. Why then does Apple have apparently live components inside the case?

13. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Form over function?
    Deliberately to drive revenue?

All of the above?

14. flu!d

Excellent cooling, positive air pressure in the case for little to no dust buildup, toolless design that doesn't involve glue, all packaged in a compact tower considering dual processors.

As good, if not better than the cMP TBH. Actually in the case of the 4,1 cMP I'd say better - As the T5500 actually has CPU retention mechanisms and doesn't involve the removal of heatspreaders.

Far better than laptop hardware stuffed in an ugly aluminium case with a shitty massive lower bezel and glued screen.

And in my case it's running a far better OS. ;)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  15. Perko

Perko Member

Don't let the troll get to you. As entertaining as it is when he/she/it posts their latest train wreck of mangled arguments lifted from macrumors.

16. Hater

Hater Member

Power supply isn't in a seperate enclosure like in a whitebox machine

Some of them are, like iMac G5's etc... dunno why the design changed

17. Perko

Perko Member

So they could reduce the PSU footprint. Wouldn't hurt them to insulate or otherwise protect the caps, but ya know, electrocution of a few lusers will teach the others to come to the "Genius" Bar.

18. flu!d

All components in the iMac exposed to 240v are still encased in plastic, thin plastic, but plastic nonetheless.

19. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

It is trivially easy for a company with their resources, they must have concluded that it's either not profitable enough, not 'magic' enough, or opens up too much configurability which loosens their control factor. Can't think why else they wouldn't do it :confused:

20. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It's been clear for a better part of a decade that Apple have zero interest in the professional sector. That goes across all their product markets.

Apple are a provider of goods and services to the individual consumer. They have no interest in business or corporate. If they did, they'd have services to handle fleet deployments that far exceed their paltry offerings.

The ever dwindling supply of "pro" hardware that actually meets "pro" requirements is the final bullet point in a long list of failings.

And all of that is fine, if they'd just admit it. If they want to be a "swanky consumer" brand, that's all good. Just announce it, and pull out of the pro space all together. If it's more profitable to sell iPhones to the average Joe/Jane than it is to sell complex computers to business and high end computer professionals, then grow a pair and make that official.

As it stands, I work for a smaller business in the larger creative industries that used to be heavily reliant on the Apple Mac "Pro" product line. We're struggling to supply brand new, top-specced Apple gear to our own staff and our clients that rely on us because it doesn't cut the muster for either performance or maximum available spec. We can't upgrade these with third-party components because of limitations to the platform (soldered on RAM/storage/etc). So we tell our staff and clients "sorry, you can't have Apple any more, because it just doesn't work", and they have quite the emotional meltdown. Mostly because they use Apple gear at home in trivial environments, and find the idea of switching to something more fitting in a professional environment too difficult (says a lot about the people, IMNSHO).

When I look to the larger movers and shakers in our industry, most abandoned Apple long ago for all of the reasons I mention here. They've had the foresight and investment behind them to make that happen, which is what we're trying to do now on a lower budget. And while we're succeeding, by far the biggest issue is the emotional attachment to the old platform by staff. That emotional attachment exists in part because of what Apple were in the 90s and 00s - a company dedicated to producing excellent quality hardware for professional creatives. Today it's iPhones and lightweight laptops for school teachers and soccer mums. All of which is fine, but the issue is that there's been no closure for many people emotionally affected by the change. So as they desperately try to hold on, and as Apple dangle products like the new Mac Pro which only continues to be delayed month on month, year on year, that closure never comes.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    dirtyd likes this.