New Mac Pro - 2018?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by elvis, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Hater

Hater Member

It's very much not required by 99.9% of the people who use the OS out there.

Much like the Command Prompt.

Why would I need the terminal to dump SD cards, fire up Final Cut and click buttons for the next few hours?

What does the average person do with their machine? Fire up an app and click buttons.

[KEi]SoVeReIgN and Perko like this.
  2. Perko

Perko Member

It isn't necessary in ANY OS for most people. None of the oldies I have on Ubuntu would even know it exists.
    I know you have a bit of a thing for hyperbole, but your perception of "blind fear" of CLI on a forum with a lot of IT pros who use PowerShell and BASH every day says more about how you don't listen to what people are telling you. Your perceptions of what motivates the average user is on another planet.

So. How about that new Mac Pro with 128 Xeon cores and a few 2080Tis in it? Owait.

3. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I don't believe I ever stated that terminal was absolutely necessary for the average user, in fact I'm fairly certain I stated that terminal is necessary 'once you get passed the basics' of MacOS - Oh, and to write to NTFS partitions, which isn't that uncommon a procedure.

I believe that the average users needs are so simple that they don't need MacOS or Windows, they can use Linux just fine and achieve everything they need to achieve including installing software via .deb installers or the software center.

You're getting on a little bit of a flaming bandwagon here, I suggest you jump off before it burns to the ground with you on it.

4. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

As stated above, I never stated otherwise. Unless you want to write to NTFS partitions under MacOS without the use of a paid third party driver.

5. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Owait, Mojave doesn't support Nvidia web drivers, so it's terribly unlikely there will be any 2080Ti's in that machine.

6. Perko

Perko Member

Most users would just download some shitware to do it via UI. I don't actually understand what your point is then, just to rock up to every Windows/MacOS thread with the pamphlets and, "I'd like to talk to you about our lord and saviour Mark Shuttleworth," line?

Yeah ok, make a thread.

Errr ok, how's that multiquote working for ya?

Nvidia will do what Apple tell them, but you're right, they'll probably prefer an AMD GCN based card for how they're rolling these days.

[KEi]SoVeReIgN likes this.
  7. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Well...No. You see under MacOS even shitware costs money and terminal commands are literally copy/paste for free. I've got older clients that have attempted to rectify the all to common permissions issues under MacOS using terminal.

There's nothing wrong with making comparisons in discussion.

Well, so far most of your comments are moot.

So you're assuming the issue is an Nvidia issue? Fact is: There is no supporting drivers under Mojave for the 2080Ti, and Mojave has been out for quite some time now. Furthermore, the Apple creative community are not one bit happy about it. I'm sure Elvis can confirm this comment due to the fact he works in the creative industry.

Just another example of the fact that Apple don't care for their desktop market.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  8. Hater

Hater Member

Who with a MacOS machines writes to NTFS partitions? That's like being a Windows user and randomly having APFS partitions :-\

Anyway pretty sure the last time I had to do that back in 19 dickety two it was load a web driver and drop 'n drag to your hearts content

9. Perko

Perko Member

Except it doesn't, most open source UI solutions have a Mac build that's free.

That's not the issue. You make the same points and long winded rant arguments in every thread you go near in the Windows and Apple forums regardless of the specific topic, then the threads die. Real discussion promoter.

Uh huh.

Nvidia shit the bed there too though, it's not exactly a mystery why things went they way they did.

10. melatonin

melatonin Member

It's only fringe cases when users or family give me a USB or HDD that is ntsf, it would stump regular users, but it shouldnt stump pro users.

Anyway, when is this new macpro coming?

11. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Most of my external devices are formatted to NTFS as I work on all operating systems and Windows as well as Linux support NTFS and most devices are formatted by default as NTFS.

That web driver isn't free.

12. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

In my experience as a MacOS user, very little software is free.

Block me then.

No Nvidia driver support for newer cards, No Vulkan support, stalled OGL development, slow networking, slow file system, locked down under powered hardware...

Looking forward to the new Mac Pro, I'm sure it'll be an overpriced disappointment while people keep using Mac Pro's from 2009.

13. Perko

Perko Member

Then you're looking in the wrong places.

That won't do anything unless everyone else does. You contribute meaningfully to other things, I just don't get the evangelical drive you have with the old, stale OS wars that our-cults even the Apple people.

Most likely correct, I don't understand how it can be claimed that Apple are going to be big in the enterprise when they don't play nicely with anything.
    But my point was about Nvidia threatening Apple with their patent troll suits during the Kepler era. Apple told them to GAGF and here we are. Whether there's some irony in that isn't really the point, Nvidia brought it on themselves and the users by extension. The fact that Apple give no fucks about choice of hardware etc was already a well established truism when that shit went down, I don't know why Nvidia thought it was a viable or smart play under any outcome.

14. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Well I can assure you, there's more 'right places' under Linux and even Windows! Fact is: Apple users like to waste money, developers know this.

I am not going to apologize for discussing a topic and using alternate operating systems as valid points of comparison, block me or get over it.

I see no evidence here that Nvidia are the ones to blame for the current driver mess under Mojave considering their web drivers worked fine under High Sierra and still do. Apple don't really care for the desktop anymore, it's an obvious fact that's really not worth arguing.

The 2009 and to a greater part the 2010 cMP's were the best machines Apple ever released because they wern't dead ends, the chances of such a machine ever seeing the light of day from the likes of Apple again are remarkably slim. It is for this reason, as well as cost, that a revival of the Apple desktop platform is unlikely.

15. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

It’s with great sadness that I must agree, I have 3 Macs, a Mini, iMac and MacBook Pro, I really like OS X mostly. I really don’t understand why they’ve abandoned it to the extent that they have. They still don’t have a decent SMB protocol, while the windows machine does a steady 110 Mb/s to my Synology the Macs are all over the place but usually at 33-45. The mapping of network drives is just atrocious. There seems to be two types of users OS X suits, those that are well advanced at the terminal level with Unix and those that just want to plug it in and browse the web, there’s a huge gap in the middle. Basic stuff just doesn’t work or works poorly. The hardware is form over function, as long as it’s pretty, Mac keyboards are just rubbish but they’re thin!!

darknebula and flu!d like this.
  16. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I have had two Mac Pro's side by side connected to the same WiFi AP, both also running Windows 10 via bootcamp. Both Mac Pro's achieved internet speeds under MacOS that were a fraction of the speeds achieved when booting into Windows on the same machines with nothing else changed but the OS - And that's just internet speeds!

Imagine what the file transfer speeds would have been like (I never got time to test file transfer speeds).

17. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

His points aren't even logical, just a bombardment of garbage until you give up - I don't say this lightly but I think he may actually have a mental health issue.

18. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Not really, not by a long shot.

Arguing that a lack of familiarization improves productivity....Now that's illogical and a bombardment of garbage indicative of a mental health issue.

Apple care about chuck away tech. They certainly do not care about their desktop platform anymore and their foothold in the desktop market is unlikely to improve any measurable amount globally as a result.

Especially when they're shunning everything and everyone, including Vulkan, OGL and Nvidia. Why now I read that Apple have deliberately blocked hardware encode and decode on the Mac Pro 5,1 under Mojave using AMD hardware. Further supporting my point about Apple and chuck away tech. They see the cMP as a massive mistake, it's unlikely they'll repeat that mistake again any time soon.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  19. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I have a more basic issue with Apple HW of late, I just bought a Mac Mini 2018. It’s a great device, more or less silent, powerful and about to be paired with a LG 5K monitor. I bought the 8GB with 256GB SSD i7. Unfortunately I couldn’t justify the 512GB SSD or 32GB RAM, but I’m upgrading the ram myself. I had the old Mini and upgraded both HDDs and mem during its life. I was really sad to find the HDD in the new Mini is not upgradeable nor can you add a second one. Then I looked at the mem upgrade which could have been really simple as it is with earlier Minis, it’s a nightmare, you need to remove the mobo completely because the mem is underside and has a silly cage around it. To top it off they’ve used even more obtuse screws, they have T6 and T6R screws, why? My T6R is on order.

Apple clearly want any upgrades to be as difficult as possible, no more HDD upgrades, it’s soldered. Mem upgrades that are overly complex.

On the upside, I’m OK doing the difficult upgrades and that makes for cheap HW in the secondhand market because many people don’t like the hard to do. On the downside the HDD failing makes this a throwaway device or a really difficult soldering chore, not for the feint hearted.

Apple now is only about the money.

20. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Hence the reason why I'm not in any way interested in the new Mac Mini, still using my 2012 Mini. It supports Mojave, but there is absolutely no doubt Apple will limit further OS upgrades within the next 12 months or so.

Considering the T2 chip, if that HDD fails you throw the entire device away. You cannot solder a new HDD to the mobo, nor can you upgrade it - No matter how good your soldering skills are.