New Mac Pro - 2018?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by elvis, Apr 5, 2017.

1. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

Haven’t tried but I guess you could boot from a device on the thunderbolt buss, external SSD. The government should force repairability of devices so third party providers enter the market.

I had another issue recently, I wanted to use my older iMac as the screen for my Mini, they don’t allow that anymore either. It creates significant ewaste I expect.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  2. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

You’re kind of proving my point here.
    This argument is literally the opposite of what I said, and I already corrected you on it yet you keep repeating it.

3. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

It's obvious you're trying to claim the intellectual high road here, but if you go back through the discussion you'll actually find it's yourself that's confused in relation to the context of the discussion - It's yourself that has taken my comment out of context.

At the end of the day, I'm not interested in any 'insider information' that only you're privy to, it means nothing. You produced a statistc showing the Mac made up 25% of IBM's active devices, so 75% is still something other than MacOS. You also claimed an adoption rate of 30 - 50% purely as a result of CYOD, yet IBM as a result of open sourcing it's Mac@IBM code only claims 25% of active devices are Macs. It's obvious this is a marketing push on behalf of Apple leveraging IBM's Watson AI technology, it's also obvious that there has to be an increase in the use of Mac's within IBM to develop the platform for Mac's (the point I was making all along). The problem is that Apple are totally ignoring every other sector and every other user wanting to use their products for daily computing or the usual task of creative application - As for business, Windows is still the clear winner here and the more suitable platform.

That's a big difference between Mac adoption rates of 30-50% purely as a result of CYOD related to ASX20 companies as claimed by yourself, and a 25% adoption rate related purely to IBM as a result of open sourcing Mac@IBM code. 25% adoption by IBM isn't going to make a dent in MacOS usage statistics. You then go on to try and claim that ~70% of university students prefer MacOS as a platform with no evidence to substantiate such a claim whatsoever, a quick Google search shows that 99% of University of Central Florida students (the USA, where Apple enjoys high popularity, not something that reflects globally - Globally Android is by far the more popular OS used today) prefer smart phones, not MacOS devices - And Smart phones are made up of 30% Android and 66% iPhones in the USA where Apple is popular.

https://er.educause.edu/articles/20...actices-in-higher-education-a-multiyear-study

Your argument is coming across as more than just a little of a strawman argument, with heavy bias towards Apple, most likely due to personal preference.

I still don't see any overwhelming evidence of an Apple desktop comeback, not until Apple themselves change their tune and actually begin giving a shit about the desktop again as opposed to IBM open sourcing their AI code.

4. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

True to the MO - Ignore what I actually said, go on tangential rant.

Like the other poster said, you kill discussions with this garbage. I’m not sure which is worse, you being lucid and aware of what you’re doing, or not.

I’ll quote my actual line again if it helps with your comprehension, and just in case there’s any doubt, this is in context of an opinion of Mac vs Windows.

5. flu!d

Good, you've isolated the comment where you took my comment out of context, driving the discussion off a bridge along with it.

If anyone's going on tangential rants and ignoring comments it's yourself, I answered your reply in the first paragraph of my comment. You reply with personal attacks and sarcasm. I still see no evidence that CYOD alone is going to result in a rise of Apple desktop hardware usage, all I see is evidence of IBM increasing their use of Apple products as a direct result of the need to support the Apple platform regarding their Mac@IBM code, and they probably make use of the terminal to do so.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  6. Hater

Hater Member

The only way Apple desktops will go on the up and up if if either Apple puts their R&D back into their desktop OS and hardware, or, longest longshot ever - They make MacOS available for certain PC hardware. Not your whitebox every man for himself MSY builds, certain HP/Dell/Lenovo models, only way to keep the hardware compatibility top notch

7. flu!d

I remember when you could actually do that, back then I don't think the world was ready for 'Apple clones' though...

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Catching up on this thread - the false dichotomy of "nobody needs the command prompt" is strong here.

1) It's not an exclusive-or. The CLI and GUI can (and should) co-exist, and neither should prevent the other from being awesome.

2) Apple are actually quite excellent at exposing 100% (or near abouts - I've not found anything missing) of their internal stuff via CLI tools. This is absolutely mandatory for anyone doing fleet, enterprise, renderfarm or workforce rollouts. We use Puppet to configure 100% of our Mac systems, and that requires a strong set of CLI tools to make things work. I may criticise a lot of Apple's decisions, but their commitment to continuing to expose the command line in a sensible way is excellent.

3) Literally every workstation OS does this. Windows has PowerShell (and Microsoft are rapidly reaching parity of GUI to CLI management tools) and Linux is Linux. MacOS has, from first release, had an excellent command line system, which is used enormously by folks like the creative and scientific industries (I hear anecdotally CERN is almost entirely Mac), but moreso is used by almost every business' IT department to handle mass configuration management. For *all* operating systems, this is normal and necessary for installs of a more complex rollout scale than your Nan browsing baby photos on Facebook.

So again, I remind everyone that this thread is about (1) The Mac Pro, and (2) Professional users of the "Pro" product. And that doesn't threaten the existence of BYOD, CYOD, remote access, home users, Starbucks developers, or anyone else. No false dichotomy here, and no need to say utterly retarded things like "nobody needs the command prompt" when it's used daily by millions. Just because you don't see what's going on behind the curtain doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

If you want to talk the virtues of single user systems, the GUI, your home/personal single system, and all things mobile, by all means choose literally every other thread in this forum where that's more appropriate. Conversely, I welcome comments from large scale business and professional users who actually deploy these things at scale, and the various GUI *and* CLI tools they use to make that happen.

9. Hater

Hater Member

I didn't say that, not even in the slightest.

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Fair call. I guess..
    .. isn't ..
    So I'll amend my statement officially. Here goes:

No need to say utterly retarded things like "It's very much not required by 99.9% of the people who use the OS out there. Much like the Command Prompt."

Better?

11. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Fixed ;) Ye olde MacOS had no such luxury.

12. Hater

Hater Member

It's a comment on 99% of the users of the OS out there not being professional users, much of that due to Apples direction in the last few years.

Do I need to start breaking down every sentence 5000 times or something?

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

And my comment was that a sea of desktop users in a business still need the command prompt to make their computers work, even if they literally never launch the command line in their entire lives.

No, you don't need to break down sentences. You need to either post on topic, or find another thread to talk about what single, non-business users do or don't need when this is not that thread. Feel free to talk about your "average single user" in any one of the thousands of other threads about those specific requirements, and not one specifically about a "Pro" product for larger business. The constant sea of "yeah but average people" type comments are not on topic, and don't belong here. Find another thread.

Yeah, I don't know where I sit on the "Mac OS X" vs "Mac OS" vs "macOS" labelling. Marketing vs engineering, I guess. It'll always be "OS X" to me, with the "X" heritage of UNIX and associated tools.

I tend to call it "macOS" these days just because that's what Apple is labelling it at a marketing level, and that doesn't confuse folk. But as above, a pro audience can probably deal with the "X" without confusion. :)

14. Hater

Hater Member

Lol, you take a quote, don't get the context, crap on about irrelevant crap for 3 posts then try and have a go at me for threadcrapping?

Whatever man. Nobody cares.

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

25 pages and 374 posts of discussion suggests at least a few people care about the topic. If you don't, you're welcome/encouraged to leave the discussion.

I still welcome the feedback from business users wanting a Mac Pro workstation for high end professional needs. Like I did back 374 posts ago.

16. Perko

Perko Member

How long until the ship has sailed for you guys? I know you've been rolling out Windows and more *nix workstations as the old hotted up Mac Pros fall too far behind, but is there an actual artist-facing software platform change involved, or are you using the same suites under the other systems?

If it's the former, does re-tooling and moving staff across make moving back in the future less attractive even if they bring out a Mac Pro that can compete with high end HP/Dell workstations on compute?

17. aokman

aokman Member

Not really, I have been deploying more iMac Pro's and iMacs than ever. A few people need extra GPU grunt which has been supplemented with external GPU enclosure. Works great actually as it leverages 2 GPU's at once and will see the devices out for at least 5 years or more. Hell my current Macbook Pro is 5 years old now and runs as good as it did on day 1.

18. miicah

miicah Member

Which is great for home users, or even amateur pros, but businesses need warranty. They don't really have a choice in buying new machines and have to buy whatever Apple is offering.

19. Perko

Perko Member

That's great, but the question was directed at elvis who has a Mac Pro use case. If your 5 year old Mac is fine, you probably don't.

20. aokman

aokman Member

Not really, we just replace devices as they die having hot spares on standby. Id hardly consider 4K native timelines home use