New Mac Pro - 2018?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by elvis, Apr 5, 2017.

1. miicah

miicah Member

https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

This is actually some amazing shit from Apple. I bet it will cost a motza, but that afterburner card is something pretty unique.

2. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

And you still can't use the latest Nvidia cards with no web driver support...:rolleyes:

3. aokman

aokman Member

The NVIDIA / Apple fight is going to last for a long time so get used to it. NVIDIA are just as if not more stubborn and want their CUDA. Apple native apps are optimised for OpenCL and perform drastically better on AMD cards, they aren't going to put in cards that are slower for FCPx etc just because you want NVIDIA.

NVIDIA are also scaling down SLI support and won't support anything more than dual configurations now.

I personally think it looks freaking amazeballs. This is the stuff Apple live for.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  4. melatonin

melatonin Member

One cheese grater please

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It's not. It's what we wanted 6 years ago - allow me to quote my own post from 3 months ago:
    Was I some sort of prophet? Some sort of future seeing deity? Shit no. This shit was obvious, and an industry of tens of millions of users were screaming for it.

It isn't. In professional video editing there have been countless custom cards with custom ASICs. Right now we run a enormous array of these from different vendors. For example, these:
    https://www.red.com/red-rocket-x

Made by Red (the people who make those insane pro cameras), that card accelerates the encode and decode of their custom codec. That's just one. There's been dozens of these over the years from all sorts of vendors in the pro video and pro 3D game, dating back longer than I've been doing this for a living (and I'm an old fart). The upside is they're good at doing one thing. The downside is they're only good at doing one thing, and within 2-3 years get overtaken by commodity CPUs and GPUs running open source code. Ask me how I know, and I'll give you 20+ years of industry anecdotes, and some photos of old R3D cards we have now sitting in the spare parts pin at work (cards that used to cost tens of thousands on release).

Don't confuse what's going on in the consumer space with what's going on in the pro space. This new Mac Pro offers literally nothing out of the ordinary or amazing. That's not to say it's bad - as I said above, this is what the professional industries have been screaming for for over 6 years now. I'm thankful it's here (because Windows sucks, and Adobe don't do Linux). And while I can rant for days about how it should have been here YEARS ago, it doesn't matter. We *finally* have a legitimate Mac Pro Workstation option, and not this "doctors and school teachers are pros too" bullshit that a handful carry on with in these forums.

I expect we'll start shipping these to our sites the moment they're available. Lord knows we've already been inundated with purchase requests from staff. :lol:

6. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Only tech geeks would whinge for hundreds of posts about wanting a new Mac Pro, then continue whinging after it arrives.

I'm excited there's finally some innovation in the space! Will be fascinating to see what they've done to add thunderbolt expansion AND GPU upgradability.
    Hopefully clever enough to support third party cards.

I want one, but I don't do anything serious enough to require that much power.

7. miicah

miicah Member

Better late than never right? :D

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

The feedback from folks in my part of the world says "yes". It looks like a lot of once-disillusioned Mac fans are eager to keep living in their abusive relationship with Apple. Our users are certainly jumping up and down with glee.

You have to admire Apple's ability to tell their customer base how to suck eggs. I can't think of a lot of other brands that have the same mind control powers. It's borderline enviable (in the same way you almost envy an evil dictator).

9. aokman

aokman Member

It can already have 4 GPU's how many more do you want :lol:

10. Zee

Zee Member

Is the "other" camp any better? Really? It's a choice of which way you want to be butt raped, really.

Sure, there's Linux, but the support (in terms of software) just isn't there. I'd love to go for Linux, but all I'd get is email, web browser, and the ability to mess with my photos. Nothing work related available in my field (which is a crying shame).

So, for now, I'll let them take turns butt raping me, though I prefer Apple, they charge me more, but at least they are a little more gentle when they bend me over and tell me how much to like it.

Z...

millen likes this.
  11. boneburner

boneburner Member

Apart from the obvious cheese grater looks - i guess this is what professionals wanted?. The monitor is a techno-brutalist slab of high end pixels - with a (relatively) ok price. The not included stand for 1k is a joke tho, right?

I'm pretty sure the only reason they have inserted the proprietary connector is so you cant support 3rd party cards.

12. aokman

aokman Member

The old one was called a cheese grater when it came out as well, now its a timeless classic people want. I think this one will follow suit, the engineering looks dam impressive.

13. boneburner

boneburner Member

im aware of the names heritage - it was the last Apple i ever owned

edit: and yes, i wish i had kept the case for mod purposes.

14. aokman

aokman Member

I am just stating that everyone ridiculed the old one the same way, it just seemed to be ahead of its time.

15. 2SHY

2SHY Member

16. aokman

aokman Member

Does anyone else suspect this Afterburner card is Apples custom silicon similar to mobile chips making its first test in the desktop space?

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

Great write up from ArsTechnica:
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...e-apples-new-mac-pro-and-the-pro-display-xdr/

In particular, VERY interesting how the blue-LED lights behind the new display work to produce up to 1600 nits (1000 nits sustained), and why they're not using white light for that effect. But for the price, I question why anyone would master on one of these displays, when an OLED could serve as a better reference display for a fraction of the price. Will be interesting to see how popular the displays are (I can already tell you we'll be buying Mac Pros, but not the displays).

Software support is there, but not for Adobe. As far as high end visual tools go, Linux is the preferred platform for tools like Nuke, Resolve, and others that are the go-to for large scale post production, video editing and VFX.

Your use case sounds more like photography, which is a different kettle of fish to my use case. For that, sure, Photoshop is still the standard, and Adobe are still touting the "nobody uses Linux" line - a line that was wrong 10 years ago, and is still wrong today. I can tell you right now, around 90% of VFX houses worldwide (and I'm talking the likes of ILM, Weta, Mill/Technicolor and others) would dump Mac workstations/desktops the moment Adobe offered their suite on Linux. Collectively they account for tens (possibly hundreds) of thousands of licenses, which is still only a small fraction compared to the single operators which account for most of Adobe's profit margins. All the same, it's wrong for Adobe to say "nobody" does when the numbers demonstrate there is objectively "somebody" who does. But when you're rolling out 1000 artists for one project, buying 1000 Linux workstations is not only cheaper, but far more configurable for large workgroup and Hollywood security requirements than 1000 Macs. You're quite literally talking savings of millions of dollars at that scale.

But, the message remains - "software support isn't there" is a relative term to any given industry. I can list for you 20 different bits of software that we rely on that aren't on Mac, another 20 not on Windows, another 20 not on Linux. Our complete pipeline consists of over 200 bits of application level software from about 70 different vendors, and we necessarily need a mix of three operating systems to make sure they all work as a cohesive business unit, rather than an ad hoc collection of individuals.

Even in the creative industries, unique rock stars are less valuable than large teams who can work together on reliable, consistent tools.

The "cheese grater" is a fond nickname for that old model. I didn't see anyone ridicule it when it first appeared.

By comparison, the "trash can" Mac Pro got the same jokes about its design at the beginning - again quite fondly. But over time people became fed up with the limited design, so the name took on a more sinister tone.

If I look at the last 6 years of request tickets in our queue, I can tell you quite honestly that people refer to the "cheese grater" model far more fondly, by the fact that they still prefer that model to the "trash can" thanks to its functionality and ability to take third party cards.

There's no doubt in my mind why Apple returned to this design. Talk to any large scale Mac Pro (again, real "Pro" hardware requirements, not people who write small word documents) user community, and ask them what their favourite Mac Pro design was. The cheese grater wins every time. Apple are VERY aware of that.

18. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

As soon as I saw the announcement, I thought of you elvis :lol:

Will be good to hear your thoughts once you've got some running. See how they stack up to the old ones.

19. 605jimmy

605jimmy Member

elvis I'm sure you would have an answer. Is Parallels or similar a compromise and work around for some "Pro" small scale business's who require multiple OS's or is it better/more cost effective productivity wise to have a seperate machine for each specific OS in "general"? By no means am I a "Pro" user quite the opposite. I'm a Project Manager and my workflow consists of running Mac OS in parallel with W10 (Microsoft project/Expert estimations) as I prefer Mac OS. What are the limitations. Not asking for my use case or anyone specific just asking the question.

Assuming why not
    1. Hardware resources running multiple OS's.
    2. Hardware compatibility with Windows and Linux.
    3. Lack of performance as limited by Apples hardware.
    4. Limitation with Parallels/Fusion software.

20. shino

shino Member

what is the cencus on buying appl e stock?yay or nay?