New Mac Pro - 2018?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by elvis, Apr 5, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

IMG_20190608_093458.jpg

Sphinx2000 and Sankari like this.
  2. Perko

Perko Member

Sankari likes this.
  3. Sankari

Sankari Member

It also looks too practical for an Apple product. Changing the shape of the tyres should fix that.

Perko, ae00711 and elvis like this.
  4. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

I'am just waiting for the advertisement campaign to sell this shit lmfao

Sankari likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    elvis

Rose gold is so hot right now

Sankari and Perko like this.
  6. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

Apple want to maintain a certain level of exclusivity I think, they don’t want to do volume unless it’s at the same margin. It’s a shame, I quite like the cheese grater, I’m a big fan of a nice Parma so I use a grater more than most...

I’m still going to go in and take a look at the 6k screen, the issue I have with Apple screens is two fold, I never know what their colour calibration does when you KB dim it on my iMac and for regular use the 5K makes my Benq SW320 look a bit course with my 9900K machine.

7. aokman

aokman Member

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

@12:01 "How many hardware engineers are in the audience? <small cheer> How many software engineers are in the audience? <huge cheer>"

Now ask me my theories on why Apple hardware continues to fall short of the mark. And ask me why John Gruber, a person who manipulates plain text for a living, isn't the person to ask about high end workstation requirements.

I'd love to hear some opinions on this from real video professionals (not YouTube kiddies). The ones I work with are sceptical.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  9. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Linus breaks down the $6k USD base model as woefully underspec.. link here.

Only 8 Core CPU (and Xeon W is a rip for what it is).
    66% under throughput memory (dual-channel on possible tri-channel board) with 4 x 8gb sticks.
    Cheap $300 graphics card.
    256Gb SSD.

Only appeal to someone who wants the badge/look but doesn't care about what is under the hood.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    miicah likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    elvis

The sad state of affairs is for anyone who has a Mac based workflow (there's quite a lot of pro grade software and tools for things like on-set dailies that are still Mac only), this is the literal only option available.

"Bad value" or not, if you need more than an iMac Pro or Mac Mini can offer at max spec, this is your one and only option.

The running joke in the film biz is MacOS is a free OS with the a very expensive licensing dongle.

Sankari likes this.
  11. ae00711

ae00711 Member

the fact that your only defense for crapple products is purely subjective, that alone should tell you that there is severe logic fail, as well as that there is no objective metric (outside of needing a particular app that is solely available on mac), that crapple hardware is woefully under-specced /and/ over-priced

should also serve as a red flag to anyone thinking of getting sucked in to buying such shit

Sankari likes this.
  12. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

You can upgrade the iMac Pro (which comes with a 1TB SSD) to 10 core CPU and 64Gb RAM for $6200 USD - and it comes with a monitor.
    Max spec for the iMac Pro is 18 core CPU / 256Gb MEM / Pro Vega 64X 16Gb / 4TB SSD...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

PCIe cards, my dude. Thunderbolt chassis aren't great.

14. Sankari

Sankari Member

Absolutely amazing.

15. pepsimax

pepsimax Member

I actually did some looking into non mac workstations, and boy those HP Z840's and Z8's look absolutely unreal and offers lots of expansion options the prices seem reasonable too.

I will be keeping a look out for one of these in like 3 years when companies write them off at just low low prices wowzers

Sankari likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    elvis

The current HP Z8 website is pretty amusing. A bunch of head to head videos of a maxed spec Mac Pro "trashcan" vs a comparably priced Z8 doing the same video and 3D render tasks. While it's not difficult to guess which machine comes out on top, the margin by which the HP beats the Apple machine is interesting (hint: a lot).

I do hope HP do similar videos once this new model Mac Pro is released, comparing dollar-for-dollar specced systems and their performance. I guess at least with the Mac Pro you get a sexy machine to look at while you stare at render progress bars late into the night.

Sankari, ae00711, Perko and 1 other person like this.
  17. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Who would have thought people would buy a copypasta. I guess this is the Apple forum...

2SHY and Perko like this.
  18. proffesso

proffesso Member

I've got a Z4...pretty good specs, 128gb ram, 9980XE etc. also have a Z620 with dual 10 cores and 64gb...again, super solid machine. highly recommend HP gear

Sankari likes this.
  19. miicah

miicah Member

Does ECC even do anything for your average video/photo/audio engineer?

I understand it's importance in scientific/mathematical areas.

20. OP
    OP
    elvis

ECC at this stage in the multi-core, multi-processor world is more about a system working *at all* than it is about benefit to one industry over another.

Bitrot, and more specifically bit flips, are about probability. The bigger your data set, the more likely a bit flip.

"How bad can one bit flip be?" the crowd asks. This bad, because of run-length encoding (i.e.: where a bit affects the bits immediately after it):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_degradation#Visual_example

Upload a video to someone like Netflix where they have automated, computerised checks, and a single corrupted or doubled frame will have your content rejected. If this happens three times AT ALL (not per episode, but ever in your business history with Netflix), you lose your Netflix partner status.

[edit] Oh, and Netflix also publicly rate their partners. So "name and shame" is the game:
    https://npfp.netflixstudios.com/global-roster

ECC is more or less a standard in high end workstations today, regardless of industry. Another few years and I think that will extend even to lower end consumer gear, given a combination of clock speeds, data sizes, and die shrinks.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    ae00711, Perko and miicah like this.