New Mac Pro - 2018?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by elvis, Apr 5, 2017.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

this ios13 complain should probably in the FWP thread.. guarantee your mum doesn't care that a phone she's getting for free doesn't have ios13 on it

It's gotta be something absurd if I'm in agreement with Hater on something.

2. Hater

Hater Member

like DVDHack's mum's phone is the only one in the world still running iOS12. if he's all that worried about it, advise her to go and bank in branch. there is a risk vs. convenience factor in everything

3. aokman

aokman Member

I'm pretty excited for the new Mac Pro to be honest, the new FCPx update with full GPU support including external GPU's and the afterburner card is a big step up :)

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Security is not an optional addon. Your mum will care plenty if she loses real world money because her fondleslab couldn't keep secrets.

My turn now...
    It's backwards day when I thank aokman for bringing a thread back on topic...

5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

miicah, flu!d and Perko like this.
  7. ae00711

ae00711 Member

8. Hater

Hater Member

eh, maybe

External Monitors - Agree: Mine can never decide which is the main, and frequently shuffles all of my previous screens onto one and mess up my work space. PITA.

Software installing - Disagree. Only store apps I have are the Apple suite stuff like Final Cut, everything else is manually installed

Hardware compatibility - Disagree, you can't compare them, open source vs. canned software/hardware are at complete differing ends of the spectrum

Technical Support - Disagree, especially with things like Joint Venture

Laptop Features - Maybe, but laptops are made to be portable aren't they? Even my HP laptop here on my desk only has 2 USB ports

Advocate behaviour - Yeah, maybe in 2013. These days though I don't see half as many Apple fanboys.

9. Hater

Hater Member

oh, my FirePro's are fucked again. My machine was built on the 18th of December 2018, I wonder if I could sqeaky-wheel a new Mac Pro as a replacement.

Hmm.

Fat chance I suppose.

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

That was a fast turn around.

11. Hater

Hater Member

I meant a 2019 Mac Pro over a replacement 2013

12. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Is anything else faulty? Typically three failures results in a replacement. I think multiple consecutive failures also count, but unsure on that. Worth pushing the point, especially for a new system that's still covered under full Apple warranty in addition to consumer law! I would wait until the 2019 system is orderable, first, because otherwise you'll get a new 2013 system.

13. Hater

Hater Member

Yuh that’s why this one is new December 2018, my original one was purchased in 2015 and yep 3 failures

14. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Except you can't run current Nvidia cards from Mojave onwards, something that's entirely possible under an OS such as Linux...

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

Particularly relevant in a Mac Pro thread. Nvidia GPUs are mandatory for anything in the high end computing world right now, regardless of how an individual feels about the company.

I'm working for VFX, general media, HPC, scientific, environment and others at the moment, and there's a broad shift for almost everything to land on GPU at the moment. Apple outright rejecting Nvidia and custom drivers is madness if they want a bite of that industry.

I guess it all comes back down to the same old boring argument of what the "Pro" in "Mac Pro" stands for. Doctors, lawyers, and teachers who could be satisfied by low end Chrome Books? Yawn.

16. Hater

Hater Member

uh

did you even read the reason why I said I disagree with what old mate in the article?

you mean you can't run aftermarket hardware in a closed box solution? i am surprised

they dropped support for the 5,1 - the only machine you could run these cards in, what do you expect?

maybe they'll come back with the 7,1

they went all in with GPU based compute with the 6,1 and it failed, so now they're going back to what people really actually want maybe*

*who knows, every person in the world seems to want some specific apple computer exactly for their niche, my niche would be one with no friggin' T2

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

The problem with thinking about "what people want" is that "people" is a diverse group. Most companies satisfy this by diversifying their products into consumer, professional and enterprise offerings.

Apple label a few of their consumer goods "professional". The problem is, they aren't. It takes more than "Pro" at the end of your product name to actually be a professional product.

I have zero problems with iMacs and MacBook Air machines being low spec. That's exactly what they should be, for a consumer market product - lightweight, cheap, low power consumption, easy to use. But this nonsense idea that they need to homogenise all of their offerings while still appearing to market to professionals is ludicrous.

If Apple aren't going to take the professional market seriously (or they don't feel there's profit to be made), they just may as well drop the entire "Pro" line. But don't fuck around with reputation damaging products that fail to meet the needs of that market segment.

Most people in favour of Apple's "Pro" line of things immediately blame the consumer for Apple's failings. As if wanting a decent GPU, or a competent workstation for under $10K (or a fucking monitor stand for less than $200) is the fault of the customer for not buying in to marketing hype hard enough. Compare and contrast to any other vendor who, when failing the professional market, gets publicly reamed. The reality distortion field is strong.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  18. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

The whole idea behind the new Mac Pro is to take over from the 5,1 as a fully upgradeable machine with pcie slots? I'm struggling to see the difference here?

elvis likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    elvis

This. The new Mac Pro is absolutely not a "closed box solution". Read the OP, where this redesign is specifically to counter the failure of the closed model in the previous "trash can" design that irritated the professional market for nearly 6 years now.

This is not an iPad, iPhone or iMac. This is not a consumer product (nothing wrong with consumer products for regular consumers, but this isn't one). We (Apple, Apple fans, regular consumers) need to stop lumping all of Apple's products in one market demographic.

Most other large scale, name brand computing vendors split their markets by demographic. HP and Dell successfully have products at all levels without white-washing their customer base.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  20. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Furthermore, Nvidia web driver support wasn't just dropped under the 5,1 - Nvidia web driver support was dropped under Mojave. Any device that runs Mojave cannot run Nvidia hardware period.