New Mac Pro - 2018?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by elvis, Apr 5, 2017.

1. scips

scips Member

I love reading Elvis posts in the AV space.

Other contributor is the epitome of sheep fanboi brand loyalty, final nail is referring to that little linus stain :lol:

The XDR is like a lambo that comes with no wheels and a 4 cylinder turbo in the back, only appeals to people so in love with the badge that they justify the flaws for the badge.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    darknebula and Perko like this.
  2. proffesso

proffesso Member

the monitor will sell well enough, as well as 256gb ram+ specced mac pro's.....lots of cashed up Youtubers out there that think they need higher requirements than most studios...

I would love if some of these people understood just how borderline the hardware is at normal studios.

elvis likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I find YouTubers have zero idea on what it takes to make content with a team bigger than 5-ish people.

Even a small studio at around 50 artists means you need to start thinking smart about workstations, storage and render farms.

4. proffesso

proffesso Member

Linus is the most guility here...shooting in 8k, petabytes of storage, ssd content servers, titan rtx's....but, cant blame him either. if companies are willing to throw the hardware at him, i'd be doing the same!

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

As much as I agree when it comes to "I'd play with free crap if people gave it to me", my bigger issue with him is that he then presents himself as an expert on the subject, rather than someone who's just fucking around with fun kit.

As the saying goes, there's no problem that can't be solved with time and money. Linus has all the time and money, and none of the real world problems. Sadly the Internet struggles to realise that he's literally a 1 in 7 billion rare case, and not anywhere close to the norm.

It doesn't end with him of course. Every single one of my kids' friends all want to grow up and be professional YouTubers, not realising how rare success in that industry actually is. Not much different from striking it rich as a recording artist, movie star, or professional athlete. People need a resounding reality check.

ae00711 likes this.
  6. aokman

aokman Member

Yet most studios think they need Threadripper 64 core CPUs just because they built their systems around shitty inefficient software.

7. proffesso

proffesso Member

ok?

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

Speaking from your extensive experience working in production studios?

millsy and flu!d like this.
  9. millsy

millsy Member

Wait you're telling me somebody that shills RGB lighting for a server rack _isn't_ an expert? shockedpikachu.jpg.

But in all seriousness unfortunately measured calm reviews and videos don't make clicks, or you're hitting the long and unprofitable long tail.

Anyway, I must swing by an apple store to see one in person at some point, regardless I'm curious to see one in the flesh opened up to the apple demo videos

10. Hater

Hater Member

RGB lighting for a server rack could be beneficial for lighting and stuff like that, loads of OH&S considerations, emergency lighting, zone lighting

hmm and as it's server grade RGB we could change loads more for it

yoink likes this.
  11. 2SHY

2SHY Member