New Mac Pro - 2018?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by elvis, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Are you talking about the first Surface Pen or the latest one? Because the latest one beats out the pencil...

- longer battery life
    - better sensitivity
    - interchangeable tips for better design features

(We can't judge with the new Apple Pencil until it's available, but so far its only slightly faster, the new pencil is 20ms response time vs surface pen being 21ms, but in every other known regard the surface pen is better)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  2. giles666

giles666 Member

I have a Surface Pro 4, so comparing with that.

3. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

So your bias view means the pencil better, despite the entire internet saying the current surface pen being better then the pencil...

OK!

4. giles666

giles666 Member

We have been over this, but, not every 'Pro' is in graphics and video. Apple's Pro products are professional tools.

They might not suit your business, but they work just great for millions of professional app developers, photographers, artists, game developers, etc...

Your constantly typifying Apple products as only good for Facebook makes you look ridiculous.

5. giles666

giles666 Member

The entire internet, really? It isn't hard to find plenty of people that prefer iPad + Pencil to Surface + Surface Pen.

I have and use both. In my opinion the pencil feels better to draw and take notes with.

6. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

You missed my point - You could be buying them with Applecare for Enterprise, which is onsite support.

In the past you could also have negotiated with a reseller to add onsite support too, we were doing that years before Applecare for enterprise existed, including advanced replacement - However I agree basically all the resellers were/are garbage

No you can't - Show me a quote. Make sure it includes an equivalent monitor etc

I've done a similar like for like comparison repeatedly, back when a company I worked for was buying Mac Pro towers and Zxxx HPs.
    Doesn't mean you want everything in the Mac bundle, but at least make the comparison fair.

7. telefragd

telefragd Member

Fair points, elvis.

I'm a digital producer/multimedia designer myself and I'm in a similar situation where I'm really considering whether to ditch Apple for workstation use completely. I'm platform agnostic and only really have a personal preference to macOS due to history and past experience. Perfectly happy to work in Windows though.

Holy crap, 28k posts! I've mostly been lurking on here since 2003, although I'm mostly on Whingepool.

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

We discussed back in the Macbook Pro thread about you confusing "objective" and "subjective". Do we need to go through this again?

You are entitled to your opinion. But you can't claim objectivity based on something that's not quantifiable measurable outside of personal preference.

If you're confused, compare to my post where I asked our creative staff for their collective opinions to gauge preferences across our business. i.e.: all *subjective* feedback.

We're already reeling from Apple pricing now. Their enterprise support is not only terrible, but pushes their cost even further out of the realistic spectrum.

I won't be sharing our company quotes with you, sorry (quite bluntly stated in my employment contract). But our HP pricing has dropped substantially in the last 6 months - to the point where they're even competitive with our previous Supermicro vendors who used to be substantially cheaper.

I don't know what happened inside HP, but something's scared them, and they've started to try a lot harder on their pricing then I've ever seen in my career. Good news for us.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Re-read the Tech Crunch article in the first post. Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller, says:

"And if we’ve had a pause in upgrades and updates on that, we’re sorry for that — what happened with the Mac Pro, and we’re going to come out with something great to replace it. And that’s our intention".

Apple Senior Vice President of Software Engineering, Craig Federighi, says:

"I think it’s not entirely unreasonable and it’s understandable that some people who love their Macs so much and see something new that Apple is talking about in the form of iPad, creating in some of them a sense of insecurity: ‘What does this mean? There’s a thing I really care about, I don’t want to see it go away, I see this other new thing on the scene, what does this mean to me, what does this mean to the product I love?’ So I understand how that would come out in the form of concern that this is happening"

Two very senior Apple staff admit that they've missed the mark with a core customer group. One went as far as to say the phrase "we're sorry". To see a person within the Apple senior circle publicly apologise for an entire product line is enormous.

In fact, just for interest's sake, I Googled "Apple apologise". Many talk pieces from many major news and tech publications (many of them very pro-Apple) commenting on exactly how unusual it is for Apple to make an apology to their customer base.

So sure, an iOS games dev or a web dev or a photographer can use any current Mac. In fact, most of them can (and do) still use a 2011/2013 model Mac. But that's not who Apple's senior VPs are apologising to. And that's not who are the subject of this thread. There are plenty of other threads on OCAU discussion low-to-mid range computing requirements. I'm not interested in those, which is why I started this specific thread for this specific topic. But by all means, please do continue thread crapping about things that aren't relevant to the topic at hand.

I definitely didn't say it was "only" good for Facebook. I'm pretty sure I mentioned the words "Garage Band" in there too. But hey, if you want to go out of your way to get offended, I won't stop you. But that doesn't give you any power, nor reinforce your arguments as valid.

10. Perko

Perko Member

But one of your primary criteria for selecting any Apple product being its visual value as a desk ornament makes you look completely objective and sane.

11. aokman

aokman Member

Sorry but quoting your bulk buying discounts vs. the list price of a new iMac Pro is just utter crap and you know it. Quote retail prices on both and the iMac is very competitive, it may not be competitive for you but you aren't the general consumer.

Most corporates just get butt hurt because Apple isn't rolling out the red carpet for them trying to secure a deal, you either buy their product or you by a PC, take your pick. For once they don't have leverage over a manufacturer to dictate pricing when going to tender and that makes them cry.

12. Hater

Hater Member

I wonder if it will be Sierra or High Sierra that these iMac Pro's will run? Might be time to start building some sort of server build. :leet:

My X-Serve is definitely a bit long in the tooth!

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

The pricing we got was for one-offs. But look, your history in any thread that criticises Apple isn't rational at best. So I suspect that answer won't satisfy you.

I laughed out loud at this. We're a business. Of course we care about the price we pay for things, and of course cost-to-performance ratios matter. What, we're supposed to just thank Apple for not competing for our custom? :lol:

Welcome to business, friend.

I believe the articles indicated High Sierra. Although they also indicated the delta from Sierra to High Sierra would be small (like Lion to Mountain Lion, which was a similarly moderate update that didn't go too crazy on changes).

thecondor likes this.
  14. giles666

giles666 Member

I never said it was a primary consideration. It is a consideration though. Why would you want to buy something that is ugly? Good design has value.

Apple has always used access to MacOS and their industrial design as a gatekeeper to allow them to maintain high margins on their computers. Any decision to pay the extra to purchase a Mac over a PC has to, at some level, include a decision that you are willing to pay a premium to get access to the OS and the design.

If you are happy with ugly boxes under your desk, lower quality displays and Windows or Linux, there are plenty of options for you.

If you want a nicely designed computer, with the best screen around, and MacOS, then the iMac (and iMac Pro) is quite a reasonable deal.

15. Hater

Hater Member

We run Lenovo ThinkStations and HP Z-Series workstations.

The users use them.

The users don't get to choose.

The users also give no fucks if they're "ugly" or not - Well, if they do, it certainly has never been communicated.

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

Ugh, can you please go start an "Apple case design appreciation" thread already? That drivel gets very boring in threads focussing on what's *inside* the case.

Hell, I've got half a dozen busted iMacs and Mac Pros at work. Want me to send you the shells? You can build yourself a beautiful gallery of design as an ode to Jony Ive.

thecondor likes this.
  17. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Does it actually matter if he gets a discount or not.

There is literally no argument about the fact that you can build a better computer with a monitor for cheaper than what you can buy an iMac for.

18. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Okay so you went from 'can't get on site support' to 'the onsite support isn't good'

Which is it?

If you can't back up your statement about costs being cheaper why are you making it? 30-50% cheaper is laughable.

19. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

Apple's website says High Sierra.

a lot of butt hurt and dick waving in this thread, chill out people.

20. scips

scips Member

Can I score a mac pro case as a sweet trashcan for my desk? Objectively the same as the actual mac pro :cool: